LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 290 users in the forums

MadDog's Best Player Available Board #1-50

A number of posters have inquired to dig inside the demented mind of the MadDog and see how he stacks his best players available board for the 2012 draft. So, here is the first installment, with a few surprises, I am sure.

Quick note: This is not how I would stack a Niners' board. This is simply the grades I place on players on the expectations I have for a fruitful career in the NFL. Some of the players would not fit into the Niners' system, but may thrive in another organization. See player #43, Mike Martin, DT, Michigan, for an example.

There are some names not listed that may appear on many other person's boards. I am not high on Alshon Jeffery at all, and do not see him as a top 50 player in this draft. The same goes for Rueben Randle.

If someone asks where I see a dropoff in level, I would state after the 17th selection.

2012 NFL Draft Best Available Board
1 Andrew Luck Stanford QB
2 Robert Griffin Baylor QB
3 Trent Richardson Alabama RB
4 Morris Claiborne LSU CB
5 Justin Blackmon Oklahoma State WR
6 Quinton Coples North Carolina DE/DT
7 David DeCastro Stanford G
8 Luke Kuechly Boston College LB
9 Matt Kalil USC OT
10 Peter Konz Wisconsin C
11 Cordy Glenn Georgia OT/OG
12 Stephen Hill Georgia Tech WR
13 Janoris Jenkins North Alabama CB
14 David Wilson Virginia Tech RB
15 Mohamad Sanu Rutgers WR
16 Bobby Wagner Utah St LB
17 Andre Branch Clemson DE/OLB
18 Michael Brockers LSU DT
19 Doug Martin Boise St RB
20 Brandon Brooks Ohio G
21 Kendall Wright Baylor WR
22 Brandon Thompson Clemson DT
23 Michael Floyd Notre Dame WR
24 Stephon Gilmore South Carolina CB
25 Riley Reiff Iowa OT
26 Coby Fleener Stanford TE
27 Jerel Worthy Michigan St DT
28 Fletcher Cox Mississippi St DT
29 Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M QB
30 Whitney Mercilus Illinois DE/OLB
31 Markelle Martin Oklahoma State S
32 Vinny Curry Marshall DE/OLB
33 Brian Quick Appalachian St WR
34 Kevin Zeitler Wisconsin G
35 Brandon Boykin Georgia CB
36 Mark Barron Alabama S
37 Jonathan Martin Stanford OT
38 Dre Kirkpatrick Alabama CB
39 Marvin Ingram South Carolina DE/OLB
40 Courtney Upshaw Alabama DE/OLB
41 Dontari Poe Memphis DT
42 Josh Robinson Central Florida CB
43 Mike Martin Michigan DT
44 Kelechi Osemele Iowa St G
45 Kendall Reyes Connecticut DT
46 Dont'a Hightower Alabama LB
47 Bobbie Massey Mississippi OT
48 AJ Jenkins Illinois WR
49 Mitchell Schwartz Cal OT
50 Ladarius Green Louisiana-Lafayette TE
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM ]
Sanu is rated TOOOOOOOOOO HIGH AND Gilmore is TOO LOW
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Sanu is rated TOOOOOOOOOO HIGH AND Gilmore is TOO LOW

I like both players, grading both as the third best in their position. Sanu is not going to break the speed of sound, but this guy is simply a stud football player. Runs terrific routes, great hands, and super physical. Best blocking WR in the draft. I think he comes in and helps big time for any franchise.

As for Gilmore, there is a lot to like. Being a tall corner is never underrated, and the guy has a ton of upside. I just see 23 players as better.
On many mocks, I see Kendall Reyes going to Green Bay or New England late in the first round. You have him at #45. Is that a case of 34 DE position inflation?

Another example in the opposite direction is RBs. You have 3 in your top twenty, but most mocks I've seen only have Richardson going in the first round.

Lastly, any chance you would extend your value board to #61, the 9ers second round pick?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Thanks.

I would find a way to put Harrison Smith, safety from Norte Dame, into the top 50.
I think he is better than both 47 Bobbie Massey Mississippi OT and 49 Mitchell Schwartz Cal OT.

I also see that Kalil has raised his stock in your eyes.

9 Matt Kalil USC OT
10 Peter Konz Wisconsin C
11 Cordy Glenn Georgia OT/OG
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Wow. Markelle Martin over Barron? A.J. Jenkins that high? And Schwartz that high?

Outside of Wagner, your top 30 looks sound. After that...meh.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if other teams agree with your rankings.

And I don't mean this post in a mean way - just a lot of curve balls after your 30th ranking.
I assume the Alabama boys - Upshaw and Hightower are downgraded because they're one-dimentional. And Ingram because tweener. If that's not rationale please advise.

Just can't get my arms around Sanu at 15 even after your explanation. Shocking.

Thanks again for all your hard work.
17 can't miss prospects in your estimation and Bobby Wagner is one of them. Would love to hear why you think he is in that group.

Also, what's your take on Osemele? Looked to me like he needs some serious technique work after watching him at the Senior Bowl.......
Nice work MadDog. Quick question. You seem to be very high on Coples. I dont like him at all. I also dont have any proper reason not to like him, more of a gut thing. Can you tell me why you think he will be successful at the next level?
MadDog, have you ever made a Big Board from the 49ers' perspective? I'd be really interested in seeing how you would rate players in context to the team's needs.

• gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mebemused:
On many mocks, I see Kendall Reyes going to Green Bay or New England late in the first round. You have him at #45. Is that a case of 34 DE position inflation?

Another example in the opposite direction is RBs. You have 3 in your top twenty, but most mocks I've seen only have Richardson going in the first round.

Lastly, any chance you would extend your value board to #61, the 9ers second round pick?

This isn't a mock draft. It's his rating of the top 50 players. So even though GB or NE may draft him in the first round, MadDog is saying that would be a pick based on their need rather than the best player available.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Wow. Markelle Martin over Barron? A.J. Jenkins that high? And Schwartz that high?

Outside of Wagner, your top 30 looks sound. After that...meh.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if other teams agree with your rankings.

And I don't mean this post in a mean way - just a lot of curve balls after your 30th ranking.

Ya same here, why you ranked markelle martin so high? I think stephen gilmore should be higher and i was surprise No Lamar Miller in the top 50.
My 2 cents, all just constructive criticism:
Cant see Wilson that high while no Lamar Miller in the top 50, dancing RB's that favor the outside have a high probably of busting and peaking as #2RB's in the NFL.

Hill that high over Floyd, (agree on Wright though), reeks of combine. Before the combine he was known as the guy with ridiculous YPC but wasnt the focal point of his offense. Megatron had very similar measurables and crushed it. I know CJ is a top 3 BPA, but at 12 you would expect less of a gap in production. While Floyd still has the size but is much more polished and betterr hands but comes with overated character concerns.

Other than that, not bad... shows just how crappily guards get treated in the draft, they may be studs but tackles will always take up the first round.
Maddog, that board is legit man. Way different and better from all these " draft experts on here."
A few disagreements though,
#14 Wilson is too high IMO, I personally like Miller better and feel Wilson does dance too much and he is not that good.
#17 A Branch- I like him and he Has all the talent, but also a lot of missed tackles and Is not worth that high of a selection.
#26 Fleener- I know he gets way too much hype on this board, but all in all he deserves it. He is a difference maker in a game and should be higher
#39 Ingram- I know he is The last person off the ball on every play which is disappointing but I believe that can be coached and he better in the pros than college. I would move him up.

Was wondering if I could get your opinion on three guys,
Whitney Mercilus- who I believe could make a great 3/4 outside lb?
Brandon Boykin- who is going to be a special teams star, but seems to jump around too much instead breaking down to tackle the ball carrier.
AJ Jenkins- who is my sleeper pick of the draft until you ranked him in the top 50 haha, but is it just me or does he's body style, route running, flashing hands- something about him reminds me of Jerry, like dead on, just wanted your opinion, thanks Maddog.
[ Edited by D-Money on Mar 28, 2012 at 10:50 PM ]
This is why I think we stocked up on all our 'depth' guys through FA instead of the draft this year (2nd/3rd year players/fresh guys that missed 2011; Baalke is gonna be making some heavy trades for some 'can't-miss' players (either at OG, or WR). -This is usually what a lot of teams do at our draft position.
Share 49ersWebzone