LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Would you trade our 1 and 2 for DeCastro?

Would you trade our 1 and 2 for DeCastro?

Originally posted by Gelder:
I think this is actually a good idea. That would give us young stud guards in Decastro and Iupati, as well as at the tackle position in Staley in Davis for years to come. Goodwin is fine for now at center as well. I think we are almost set at every position, we filled all of our pressing needs in free agency. I'm perfectly fine entering the year with some of the WR's that we have, with an addition of one rookie in Rounds 3-4 (if we did this trade) Our defense is set, and I'd look for us to add some DL Depth in rounds 3-4.

Rd 1-Decastro
Rd 3- Nick Toon
Rd 4- Jared Crick
Rd 5- OLB
Rd 6- S
Rd 7-S

I put two safetys at the end there, just in case one of them would pan out as a future starter

Pass what you are smoking, no way Crick lasts to round 4. Kilgore is the man, lots of stud guards have been from the 5th round.

1. Fleener
2. Jared Crick
3. Best og/Center
4. Marvin Jones WR Cal
My gut tells me we're trading up for either this guy, or Fleener (which could explain why we went deep into FA this year for the 'depth' players we usually pick up in rounds 3-7).

Harbaugh regretted missing out on a lot of his Stanford boys in the draft due to inability to trade up higher (cause we weren't in the position we are now to make such moves).
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Probably no DeCastro in our future then, considering even this price might be too steep from our perspective.

He needs to break the law quickly. He's got a month.

The road is long and distinguished with people dropping unexpectedly. Never can tell, we'll see, but niners could still go for guard but with someone else. Remeber, Kilgore was also being mentioned as being groomed to play center.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
My gut tells me we're trading up for either this guy, or Fleener (which could explain why we went deep into FA this year for the 'depth' players we usually pick up in rounds 3-7).

Harbaugh regretted missing out on a lot of his Stanford boys in the draft due to inability to trade up higher (cause we weren't in the position we are now to make such moves).
Ugh the stanford argument again.

If Harbaugh is a good scout he doesn't care where players come from. In fact I think he's more likely in skilled positions(where he especially loves evaluating) to avoid Fleener and go for someone who didn't have the best QB prospect throwing to him, in a very TE friendly system.

He loves trying to find those "diamond in the rough" guys. Flip Egnew and Fleener for example, give Egnew Luck throwing to him, and Egnew would be the one considered at the top of his position. That's just my current mid-pick favorite, there could be others that are beasts on tape, green for example.

The Stanford connection is way overplayed, he had chances to get guys from his school if he was really intent on doing it last year, but he found guys that were simply better players.
Would not trade that much for a RG. Rather draft one in R2 or R3 or sign some dude.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
When a team trades up enough to where they have to sacrifice a 1st or 2nd round pick the future payroll is a huge factor. Not only would they then probably have the highest paid offensive line in the league, we have hurt ourselves by taking away our ability to draft a starter at another position with whatever pick we give up in the trade. This would be foolish considering we already have a young franchise caliber interior lineman on the roster, and the simple fact that there are a lot of guys out there who can play RG.

If we weren't on the cusp perhaps, but if you feel that Decastro can make your line X factor times better than last year, then you have to consider. If he can help improve the 3rd downs, help improve the passing game and make AD better, improve the running game, then maybe. Its not like we are rebuilding. We are at the edge of a SB, plan for the future yes, but keep an eye on the present also, remember we were willing to go after Manning and the money it would have taken. So there is always a way as long as we have the negotiator (and I am not talking Shatner).

Remember, the niners coaching has shown they believe in winning it in the trenches. Still, I doubt we will give a second, too steep, but niners may move up 5-6 spots if someone is there especially if for some explicit reason Decastro falls.
no he is a right guard
Originally posted by mike:
Ugh the stanford argument again.

If Harbaugh is a good scout he doesn't care where players come from. In fact I think he's more likely in skilled positions(where he especially loves evaluating) to avoid Fleener and go for someone who didn't have the best QB prospect throwing to him, in a very TE friendly system.

He loves trying to find those "diamond in the rough" guys. Flip Egnew and Fleener for example, give Egnew Luck throwing to him, and Egnew would be the one considered at the top of his position. That's just my current mid-pick favorite, there could be others that are beasts on tape, green for example.

The Stanford connection is way overplayed, he had chances to get guys from his school if he was really intent on doing it last year, but he found guys that were simply better players.
You make a good point about the skilled players. Like a system QB or wr in the run and shoot. However, I don't think Harbaugh has that much say as people think, Baalke probably asks him what do you need, then looks people over and grades them and asks JH or the Foz what they think and if they feel he can fit their system. We have seen if JH is really interested in a person he will ck them out himself for the off and on D Foz will, if asked. He did want Baldwin last year, but didn't draft him and lest people think Baalke is a dictator, in the later round we drafted Morton's boy form USC (last time Baalke should listen to him-get off the table and sit down Morton).
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Would rather keep both picks, take BPA in the 1st round and take an offensive guard in Round 2 or 3 and have him compete with Kilgore.

Agree with this. Moving up to get Decastro would cost too much (picks and cap money later)
I believe the 9ers will make a move, but I don't think it will be this one.....
I was all for it until I read everyone's comments and I agree that we don't pay that steep a price. Now if Trent Richardson fell to a reasonable level I would do it in a heartbeat.

I hope not, but the off season signings and previous Baalke M.O. makes me think the team will trade up...not sure if it will be for Castro, though.
i say no. our biggest need is guard, but i think that we can still find one at #30 or later. a lot of our FAs are either a ? or 1 year deal. we still need players.
That alot to give up and alot of investment in a guard, how much do we want to put into the O-line?

I think if we want a guard, we can get one in the 1st, more likely the second.
Hell yes!!!! f**k all the "hell no's" he's a legit stud. You can tell he's gojng to be one of the next great OG's in the NFL. Has all the tools. He's a Damn good FB player and would start right away.
Share 49ersWebzone