LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 388 users in the forums

new 49er 4 rd. draft post FA moves

1.) Worthy - DE: No #1 wr left and although I love Fleener, I think we take the another DE. Justin is all world but getting older and these guys usually take a year or 2 to produce. Can never have too many pass rushing DE's (just look at the Giants).

2.) Turbin - RB: I know its early to take him here but he probably will not last until our pick in the 3rd. He is very the perfect rb for our new WCO. Can run and catch and Frank will not last much longer.

3.) Egnew - TE: Has the size and skills to be an excellent pass catching TE opposite Vernon. Would make a killer combo on 3rd downs and goal line situations.

4.) Wylie - WR: Might be early again but if you like the guy and think he will turn into a starter, gotta take him while you can. He looks to be a clone to Pat's Welker. Has insane quickness and could get that seperation like Welker that is key on 3rd and short, which is where we had so many problems last year.

Might be early to take some of these guys were we are picking but don't think they last a whole 30 picks later than our spot. Trent doesn't seem to care in this regard as he took the cb early last year but he turned out to be correct.

Could pick up a project RG in round 4 or maybe we still get that guy in FA. I'm still hoping Kilgore can fill that spot!
The draft never works out the way the zone wants, so I actually think your draft has a lot of positives. Would prefer to trade down with pick number 2 into high round 3 to pick up Turbin, picking up an extra 4th rounder.

All in all this is building for the future. If you wanted a draft for "now"

Fleener round 1
Turbin Round 2
WR round 3
Guard in FA or trade, Eric Steinbach
I think your draft makes alot of sense, especially when Fleener is not available at #30 because of his great pro day.

Worthy: I would love to keep our D line as stacked as possible
Turbin: RB is a key position to our success for Alex and if gore gets injured were screwed!
Egnew: A good TE, especially in the 3rd. Might not fall that far? Was once the top TE in the draft
Wylie: A great KR/Slot WR... ive been saying for years we need to bring back the quick slant and WR screens. He would get some great YAC and keep the
safety's honest.
I like it...but instead of Turbin, trade up if necessary (probably will be) to get Doug Martin. He's arguably the best all-around RB in this draft, plus he returns kicks. Only criticism I can offer is no interior OL, which is definitely a priority. Instead of worthy, don't be surprised if Baalke doesn't trade up to get DeCastro or Martin. The latter could force AD to move inside to RG where he may be better suited.
Originally posted by irishluder:
I think your draft makes alot of sense, especially when Fleener is not available at #30 because of his great pro day.

Worthy: I would love to keep our D line as stacked as possible
Turbin: RB is a key position to our success for Alex and if gore gets injured were screwed!
Egnew: A good TE, especially in the 3rd. Might not fall that far? Was once the top TE in the draft
Wylie: A great KR/Slot WR... ive been saying for years we need to bring back the quick slant and WR screens. He would get some great YAC and keep the
safety's honest.
I agree with this. As much as I love Fleener, I think Harbs could pass on him if he see's the same thing in a guy like Egnew... With the additions we made to WR and the fact that we never had most of our wr's on the field last year due to injury... Egnew could just come in situationally and help on 3rd downs or in the Redzone.
RK - your draft makes sense because I believe in being proactive and going up and getting the guys you want instead of being reactive and waiting to see the board dictates to you. If you like a guy and think he fits your team then it doesn't really matter how early you grab him.
I could live with this outcome
I think this would be a solid draft.

I also want Kilgore to make the grade.
This would be Baalke's worst draft by far. I think you reached almost a whole round on every player in the draft except for Worthy. And the problem with Worthy is he's more of a 4-3 DT not a DE, and he's not even close to being a pass rusher, he's a run stuffer. Back to the drawing board.
Originally posted by D-Money:
This would be Baalke's worst draft by far. I think you reached almost a whole round on every player in the draft except for Worthy. And the problem with Worthy is he's more of a 4-3 DT not a DE, and he's not even close to being a pass rusher, he's a run stuffer. Back to the drawing board.
Who cares about reaching... Do you like the players that were picked? If so, than what round they get taken in shouldn't matter... If Turbin ends up being the RB of the future or a solid contributor to the team, are you going to look back and still be mad that he should have gone in the 3rd round??? James Harrison of the Steelers went undrafted. If Pitt has grabbed him in the 4th, people would have said they were reaching. Now it doesn't matter because Pitt got a steal. The only thing that matters is how our coaches value the players that we pick.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by D-Money:
Who cares about reaching... Do you like the players that were picked? If so, than what round they get taken in shouldn't matter... If Turbin ends up being the RB of the future or a solid contributor to the team, are you going to look back and still be mad that he should have gone in the 3rd round??? James Harrison of the Steelers went undrafted. If Pitt has grabbed him in the 4th, people would have said they were reaching. Now it doesn't matter because Pitt got a steal. The only thing that matters is how our coaches value the players that we pick.

And when Trubin doesn't become the running back of the future, instead a special teamer. Yeah I'll look back and say we reached like Miami did with Ted Ginn. Who cares if we reach? haha. Why wouldn't you tade down a whole round and get extra picks>? I hope more people than myself care, because this is how gm's lose their jobs.
And no obviously I don't like the players picked, and definitely not at the spot they were picked.
[ Edited by D-Money on Mar 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM ]

Share 49ersWebzone