There are 161 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

An early look at the 49ers Draft Board/First Round Strategy

Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
I see no way of getting Richardson without giving up next years frist round pick also. I believe he'll be drafted #4 to Cleveland. Although I love Richardson I think I would prefer Fleener and a good guard or Doug Martin over Richardson.

I am specifically discussing the niners trading up into the teens if Richardson falls.

If he makes it past #6, he can fall to #16.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,136
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by dj43:
Agree Wilson would be a reach at #30. The question is; how much of a reach? 5 spots? 8? Depends on how the 49ers view him and how they see Gore. Also, if they can't work a trade back to 35-38, would they still pick him at 30?

As much as we might agree on RB, I really don't see them using a pick on a RB before they address the interior OL and WR issues.

I don't think WR needs to be addressed at all, to be honest. We're 5-deep there, and a rookie won't play in 2012.

Agree to disagree. I will be surprised if Moss is still around in September. Manningham benefitted from being #3 behind Nicks and Cruz - he is Morgan with different clothes. He never faced the best defenders. Crabtree is an open question though we all hope he turns into the #1 his draft position promised. Williams is potentially a good slot guy but has not been healthy enough to prove it. Ginn is a return specialist only. I see no way the 49ers open TC without AT LEAST one draft pick at WR.
Originally posted by dj43:
Agree to disagree. I will be surprised if Moss is still around in September. Manningham benefitted from being #3 behind Nicks and Cruz - he is Morgan with different clothes. He never faced the best defenders. Crabtree is an open question though we all hope he turns into the #1 his draft position promised. Williams is potentially a good slot guy but has not been healthy enough to prove it. Ginn is a return specialist only. I see no way the 49ers open TC without AT LEAST one draft pick at WR.

OK, so Moss has to get cut in order for a rookie to see action (suit up) in 2012.
Good thread guys...

Since the Niners now are mainly drafting for depth, I can't the team trading up unless a player they really like falls to 25-29.

Also, I think it is a real possibility that the NY Giants could trade with NE to grab Fleener ahead of the Niners if he falls that far. If the Niners really want Fleener, they may have to trade up to get him. He may be worth it. He would give the offense an entirely other dimension.

The Niners, after drafting OLmen in the first or second round in several recent drafts and committing fairly big money to their starters on the OL, are unlikely to pick a RG in the first 2 rounds unless an obvious talent drops to them. They certainly will not trade up for one.

The need for more depth at LB and DL I feel is a bit understated here in the zone. The strength of this team is their front 7 yet the depth behind their starters is very thin, especially at inside and outside LB. I can definitely see them drafting a front 7 guy or guys in the first 2 rounds, even though this draft has good depth at those positions... The Niners want to keep those areas strong and I think if players they like are there early, they pull the trigger.

Although the team needs a RB to replace Gore eventually, I think the team will wait until at least round 3 to pick up one. I think it is highly unlikely the team trades up to get a RB because good ones can be had late. They aren't in panic mode at that position by any means.

Now that the team has filled out its receiving corps, they have the luxury to wait and get a developmental pick and I think that is the direction they will go....think a guy like Streeter or Quick....unless of course, a guy like Hill falls to them at 30.

Cheers!
I think DeCastro or Martin are the only two guys Baalke would trade up for, and the latter only if they intend to move AD to RG. I do like the thought process WRT potential 1st and 2nd rd picks. My personal favorites are Fleener and Doug Martin, but I can easily see Baalke making a move to get an elite OG, too and taking Turbin in the 3rd rd.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Good thread guys...

Since the Niners now are mainly drafting for depth, I can't the team trading up unless a player they really like falls to 25-29.

Also, I think it is a real possibility that the NY Giants could trade with NE to grab Fleener ahead of the Niners if he falls that far. If the Niners really want Fleener, they may have to trade up to get him. He may be worth it. He would give the offense an entirely other dimension.

The Niners, after drafting OLmen in the first or second round in several recent drafts and committing fairly big money to their starters on the OL, are unlikely to pick a RG in the first 2 rounds unless an obvious talent drops to them. They certainly will not trade up for one.

The need for more depth at LB and DL I feel is a bit understated here in the zone. The strength of this team is their front 7 yet the depth behind their starters is very thin, especially at inside and outside LB. I can definitely see them drafting a front 7 guy or guys in the first 2 rounds, even though this draft has good depth at those positions... The Niners want to keep those areas strong and I think if players they like are there early, they pull the trigger.

Although the team needs a RB to replace Gore eventually, I think the team will wait until at least round 3 to pick up one. I think it is highly unlikely the team trades up to get a RB because good ones can be had late. They aren't in panic mode at that position by any means.

Now that the team has filled out its receiving corps, they have the luxury to wait and get a developmental pick and I think that is the direction they will go....think a guy like Streeter or Quick....unless of course, a guy like Hill falls to them at 30.

Cheers!

Yea I really don't get why people think we're going to trade up for another lineman.
As nice as it would be to have a decastro type talent at RG it just isn't realistic, we can't have studs starting at every position.
All great teams have solid, serviceable role players. They may not be on the big dollars but without them the team isn't as good. It's up to the FO and coaching staff to find and develop talent eg Kilgore ( who we traded up for last year)

Great post man
[ Edited by Aussie49ah on Mar 27, 2012 at 8:17 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,600
Originally posted by nickbradley:
So you'd rather start a rookie in 2013 instead of letting him sit for a year?

You seem to falsely assume if we do not draft a nose tackle this year, a rookie will be the starter in 2013.

Sopoaga can be resigned. Both RJF and Ian Williams are possible replacements for Sopoaga, if he is not resigned or extended.

  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,600
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Good thread guys...

Now that the team has filled out its receiving corps, they have the luxury to wait and get a developmental pick and I think that is the direction they will go....think a guy like Streeter or Quick....unless of course, a guy like Hill falls to them at 30.
Cheers!

Our major weakness is our passing game. Our receiving corps needs to be upgraded.

Steps have been taken in free agency, but those steps, by themselves, are not sufficient.


I do not think that the team has filled out its receiving corps.

At this point, our top wide receivers are Crabtree, Williams, Ginn, Moss, and Manningham.

I think Ginn must be considered as a return specialist, and not as a wide receiver.

Kyle Williams has shown some flashes as a wide receiver in his two years on the team, but not that many flashes.
He has only played in 18 games and started one. He has a total of 21 receptions for 241 yards.
We should look for an upgrade in the draft.

Third, Randy Moss might prove to be a great addition, but we will not know if that is true until after the draft.
His contract is specifically set-up to allow us to cut him without cost, if he does not pan out.

We have to draft in a way that covers for the worst, not the best results from Moss.

Crabtree and Manningham need to face more competition than just Moss and Williams.

Crabtree and Manningha have not proven to be highly reliable, productive receivers.
There is no guarantee that they will transform their potential into production.

I could see us drafting two wide receivers and a receiving tight end in this draft.
I don't what the coaches really thing of Kilgore or if Kilgore will turn out to be ready or not. Just that if you want the offense to improve, somebody is going to have to open holes for the RB especially on third down and give the QB enough time to throw the ball. People need to realize one thing, with a rookie salary cap, he will be cheaper to have for at least the next four years. After which Staley will be getting less or we get a replacement in the form of say Boone. So the money is not the issue. It is putting the best out there. However, unless Decastro falls far enough, it won't happen cause the cost will be too high. Although there are others the niners might consider. Remember, no one expected us to move up for AD with 4th, and depending who is left on the board a forth with our first might take the niners further up than two spots if a team feels it can get a player they want at our position and pick up another pick. Of course it will have to be with a playoff team that values the draft and feels they know how to pick late round picks.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Good thread guys...

Now that the team has filled out its receiving corps, they have the luxury to wait and get a developmental pick and I think that is the direction they will go....think a guy like Streeter or Quick....unless of course, a guy like Hill falls to them at 30.
Cheers!

Our major weakness is our passing game. Our receiving corps needs to be upgraded.

Steps have been taken in free agency, but those steps, by themselves, are not sufficient.


I do not think that the team has filled out its receiving corps.

At this point, our top wide receivers are Crabtree, Williams, Ginn, Moss, and Manningham.

I think Ginn must be considered as a return specialist, and not as a wide receiver.

Kyle Williams has shown some flashes as a wide receiver in his two years on the team, but not that many flashes.
He has only played in 18 games and started one. He has a total of 21 receptions for 241 yards.
We should look for an upgrade in the draft.

Third, Randy Moss might prove to be a great addition, but we will not know if that is true until after the draft.
His contract is specifically set-up to allow us to cut him without cost, if he does not pan out.

We have to draft in a way that covers for the worst, not the best results from Moss.

Crabtree and Manningham need to face more competition than just Moss and Williams.

Crabtree and Manningha have not proven to be highly reliable, productive receivers.
There is no guarantee that they will transform their potential into production.

I could see us drafting two wide receivers and a receiving tight end in this draft.

What rounds and what players would you target in the draft? Who do think will be around at the start of the regular season at WR and TE?
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
How does Stephen Hill, Mohammed Sanu fit into this strategy.

BTW, I would LOVE it if the 49ers were able to move up to get Richardson; but is he worth our 1st and 2nd round?

f**k YEA HE IS!!!!!!!!!! He won't slip though.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,600
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
What rounds and what players would you target in the draft? Who do think will be around at the start of the regular season at WR and TE?

My best guess is as follows. There is still a month to go. So this is only tentative.

The offensive players that I would target in the first three rounds are:

1st round-- Stephen Hill, Kendall Wright, or Coby Fleener
2nd round -- Chris Givens, Brian Quick, Amini Silatolu
3rd round-- Brandon Brooks, Ladarius Green, Marvin Jones, or Greg Childs

I think all of the wide receivers above would beat out Kyle Williams.
But, we will not draft three wide receivers, so Kyle Williams would end up being our sixth receiver.

At the start of the season our wide receivers would be:

1. Crabtree
2. Manningham
3. Moss
4. Hill/Wright
5. Givens/ Quick/ Jones/Childs
6. Kyle Williams

At the start of the season our Tight Ends would be:

1. Davis
2. Walker
3. Fleener/Web

Our Right Guards would be:

1. Daniel Kilgore
2. Brandon Brooks/Amini Silatolu
[ Edited by buck on Mar 30, 2012 at 1:31 AM ]
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Good thread guys...

Since the Niners now are mainly drafting for depth, I can't the team trading up unless a player they really like falls to 25-29.

Also, I think it is a real possibility that the NY Giants could trade with NE to grab Fleener ahead of the Niners if he falls that far. If the Niners really want Fleener, they may have to trade up to get him. He may be worth it. He would give the offense an entirely other dimension.

The Niners, after drafting OLmen in the first or second round in several recent drafts and committing fairly big money to their starters on the OL, are unlikely to pick a RG in the first 2 rounds unless an obvious talent drops to them. They certainly will not trade up for one.

The need for more depth at LB and DL I feel is a bit understated here in the zone. The strength of this team is their front 7 yet the depth behind their starters is very thin, especially at inside and outside LB. I can definitely see them drafting a front 7 guy or guys in the first 2 rounds, even though this draft has good depth at those positions... The Niners want to keep those areas strong and I think if players they like are there early, they pull the trigger.

Although the team needs a RB to replace Gore eventually, I think the team will wait until at least round 3 to pick up one. I think it is highly unlikely the team trades up to get a RB because good ones can be had late. They aren't in panic mode at that position by any means.

Now that the team has filled out its receiving corps, they have the luxury to wait and get a developmental pick and I think that is the direction they will go....think a guy like Streeter or Quick....unless of course, a guy like Hill falls to them at 30.

Cheers!

I think that the new CBA has relieved the financial worry about drafting. Now we are not looking at obscene monies going into rookies. So a high draft OL would be feasable. So if DeCastro, or Fleener, or whomever was close enough to spend some draft picks to go quality over quantity I think we are in a position to do it. Now we get to wait to see if Harbaalke want to do it.
  • DJD
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,805
The real question in all of this is what would be the happenings at the annual draft party if all those folks hang around until the end of the first round only to learn the Niners trade down and have no picks on the first day......
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home