LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

9ersLiferInChicago updated Mock Draft - Post Moss & Manningham

No doubt the signings of Moss and Manningham - especially Manningham - effect how I see our draft, especially in the mid to later rounds. However, I do not feel the signings of Moss and Manningham effects our need for a #1 WR. And at pick 30 there will still be a WR available that can come in and compete for that spot. I have completely lost faith that Crabs is that guy and have no more excuses for him. He is not a number 1 in my mind, and has barely played at #2 level. Manningham is a legit #2, though, and an upgrade to Crabs:

1st - Stephan Hill, Georgia Tech. See above.

2nd - George Iloka, FS, Boise State. In my last mock I had Jared Crick here. But having to franchise Goldson I think we start to think hard about our future here. If Goldson plays well again in 2012 he is going to want Ed Reed money again. Iloka is regarded as the top FS in college and should be available here.

3rd - Robert Turbin, RB, Utah St. I had LaMichael James here before but don't know if he can put on the necessary weight for long-term NFL usage. Very good pass blocker and better in short yardage than Dixon. My only concern with Turbin is his durability. But that was a concern for Gore too.

4th - Travis Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma. He's an absolute steal here, but from what I've read he's a late 4th/early 5th. Read the report on him. I saw this kid play and I don't think you can get more all-around-OLB than him at this point in the draft. I had him rated as a late 3rd. 4 year starter for OU and no character issues. Very sure tackler and that's vital for our defense.

5th - Ryan Miller, G, Colorado. At 6-7, 321 he is a mammoth of a man. He plays with very good leverage for his size. Has very good movement and quick feet , so he won't be a liability in pulls and traps. Miller is would be the vaunted "good value" pick here.

6th - B.J. Cunningham, WR, Michigan St. Can't hurt to bring in more competition at the WR position. Good hands. Cunningham is a tough physical guy who works hard and will do the things Crabs won't do. Will be an excellent possession guy. Needs work on rout running though. 4 year starter. Not a flashy guy but will get the job done. He would make our 53 man roster for sure as he is a Baalke-type player. I originally had OLB Tank Carder here but he would be too much of a project.

7th - Robert Blanton, CB, Notre Dame. Can never have enough CB's in the NFL. Blanton is a very aggressive guy and physical tackler, which fits our D. Good at re-routing WR's (he's 6-0, 205). He can play FS and on Special Teams (remember, JH and Baalke covets multi-use guys). Will need to play smarter in the NFL, that is, he needs to be more picky about is aggressive style and learn when to back off. But very coachable.

If our draft feel this way I'd be stocked. And with team needs, value and "best fits" it's very possible.

Thought?
I want Hill.
Sorry fellow faithful, but horrible draft. The first 3 picks need to be receivers. The next 3 after that o-line. Then the last one take another receiver. Receiver is the most glaring weakness we have.
Originally posted by RayshawnJackson:
Sorry fellow faithful, but horrible draft. The first 3 picks need to be receivers. The next 3 after that o-line. Then the last one take another receiver. Receiver is the most glaring weakness we have.

• DVDA
  • Veteran

Your trolling was somewhat humorous in that Alex Smith thread but you're overdoing it now.
The first three picks WR's, huh. Thank God you are not our GM. In fact, with that kind of drafting I doubt any owner would let you anywhere near their roster if you told them that was your plan.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Mar 20, 2012 at 8:18 PM ]

cant tell if serious
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

cant tell if serious

this lol. FS in the 2nd tho? big no no. OG and WR(in that order) are the biggest priorities at the moment then CB and depth at positions on D. ONce we get that RG position filled, i think everything else can all into to place. Bill Walsh philosophy.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
this lol. FS in the 2nd tho? big no no. OG and WR(in that order) are the biggest priorities at the moment then CB and depth at positions on D. ONce we get that RG position filled, i think everything else can all into to place. Bill Walsh philosophy.
Yeah, FS in the 2nd. Goldson will be hard to replace, otherwise we would have let him hit the market. Not all positions can be replaced with a bargain. And we can't assume that Goldson won't want to break the bank like he wants this year. We won't franchise him 2 years in a row. So we have to think about the future at that position. Iloka is regarded as the best FS and slated to go late 2nd, early 3rd - right in our wheel house. He can sit and learn a year and be ready for the 2014 season. I think people are sleeping on the young talent already on the roster, namely Daniel Kilgore and Mike Person. These guys were meant to be developed, especially Kilgore. And from what I can tell Kilgore's development is coming along quite well. To draft G in the first JH will be saying that Kilgore is a failure already, which questions his developmental abilities. So, unless that guy is just a no-brainer - which I don't see at pick 30 for G - I don't see that happening. Ryan Miller in the 5th will be good value. He can come in and at least push Kilgore to get the best out of him. I predict that Kilgore is going to impress in training camp.
  • dj43
I agree with your basic premise that the signings of Moss and Manningham do not change the primary need of the team; a true #1 WR. I won't quibble about whether Michael Crabtree can become a #1 or not. I personally believe a healthy TC will allow him the time to improve his timing and chemistry with Smith to the point he will be much more effective. However, I do not see him ever being the kind of guy that scares a DC to the point he loses sleep at night.

After #1, I go BPA with some priority given to interior OL, if not RG then center. Too many times last season the middle of the line got pushed back into Alex' face and destroyed the passing lanes.

I also agree that RB should be addressed. Gore is well past the expiry date for RBs. Hunter is a nice back up but not an every down guy. Dixon is proving to be a good ST player but not a legit RB. Look for a nugget in the 3rd through 5th...Turbin may be the guy but there are also others to consider.
[ Edited by dj43 on Mar 21, 2012 at 8:39 AM ]

this isnt the draft to go FS or RB that would be next year where the draft is stocked at those positions

id go OG in R 2
and OLB or TE in R3
Originally posted by dj43:
I agree with your basic premise that that signings of Moss and Manningham do not change the primary need of the team; a true #1 WR. I won't quibble about whether Michael Crabtree can become a #1 or not. I personally believe a healthy TC will allow him the time to improve his timing and chemistry with Smith to the point he will be much more effective. However, I do not see him ever being the kind of guy that scares a DC to the point he loses sleep at night.

After #1, I go BPA with some priority given to interior OL, if not RG then center. Too many times last season the middle of the line got pushed back into Alex' face and destroyed the passing lanes.

I also agree that RB should be addressed. Gore is well past the expiry date for RBs. Hunter is a nice back up but not an every down guy. Dixon is proving to be a good ST player but not a legit RB. Look for a nugget in the 3rd through 5th...Turbin may be the guy but there are also others to consider.
I hope so. I'm just not holding out hope. I just think the idea of a WR is still trying to develope chemistry and timing with his QB going into year 4 is problematic. I know some have all kinds of excuses for him but after 3 full seasons with a QB and you still dont have timing with the QB speaks to your overall effort, especially when your QB has reached out to everyone in the offseason. You have a good point about the second highlight. But I think with a full offseason and camp, and with the development of Kilgore I think we will fix our line issues. Like I said, people are sleeping on Kilgore. I think he's really going to crack the starting lineup this year. As for Dixon he really disappointed me. I thought he'd be our 3rd down brusier. But he won't run to his body type.

Idiotic. How many WR roster spots do you think we have????????????
[ Edited by nickbradley on Mar 21, 2012 at 8:49 AM ]
You can say goodbye to a WR in the 1st -- he won't play as a rookie and will be a project. Waste of a pick, to be honest.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
this isnt the draft to go FS or RB that would be next year where the draft is stocked at those positions

id go OG in R 2
and OLB or TE in R3
Ideally I'd agree with you. But we can't go into next season potentially with a rookie at FS. Goldson is likely going to want Ft. Knox next year too, especially if he produces like he did last season. Iloka is good - this year or next year - and there won't be pressure for him to start this year. And as dj43 said Gore has lasted well past the expiration date for NFL RB's. Hunter heir apparent. Dixson is not the answer, unless he proves otherwise. Turbin can come right in and be that short yardage guy we been needing. Besides, drafting a RB this year don't mean we can't get another next year.
Share 49ersWebzone