LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Post Manningham mock draft

Really solid draft overall, though I'm not a huge fan of the 2nd pick. OLB in the 2nd round is too high for us. Aldon & Ahmad are locked up long term, and both are 3-down players that will rarely come off the field. We can draft an OLB for depth later in the draft. I want a guy who could project to be a starter for us with the 2nd round pick.
If we get Manning

- We will probably move up in the draft to get a guard because Manning isn't as mobile as smith

Getting Moss and Manningham
- Gives us flexibility to NOT BE FORCED INTO DRAFTING A WR with the first pick
- I think they will draft a WR in the first 3 round (probably 3rd) and probably 5th or 6th

Also need another Safety
need another OLB/DE

So that we probably won't get fleener if a guard or WR that is high value is there when we draft.
Nice Draft. I agree with 2nd round pick isnt the best probly better for RG. I like fleener cuz We like to run 3TE sets and why not a Fleener to pose a big threat w/ VD n Walker? You can easily split VD or walker out wide.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
With the Niners now signing Manningham, the needs continue to become more defined for the Niners. Here is my second take based on where things stand prior to Manning's decision:

Round 1 Coby Fleener TE Stanford - now adding another weapon to complete Harbaugh's ideal offense
Round 2 Shea McClellin OLB - depth at OLB and may allow Niners to trade Haralson
Round 3 Robert Turbin RB Utah St.- 3rd RB and long term insurance for Gore
Round 4 Derek Wolfe DE Cincinnati - depth behind Smith and Macdonald; Big East defensive player of the year
Round 5 Ryan Miller OG Colorado - someone to compete with with Kilgore for RG spot
Round 6 Christian Thompson FS - replacement for Reggie Smitha to backup Goldson at FS
Round 7 Delano Howell SS - backup to Donte Whitner

With the addition of Moss and Manningham, we're not even gonna run as many 2 TE sets (when one of the 3 WR's is off the field, which won't be a WHOLE lot, oftentimes it'll be for Miller to be on the field too), let alone 3, so no use in Fleener. Most of the time Vernon will be the only TE in the game. I think we will take (trade up if we have to) DeCastro. He's Harbs' boy and a Staley/Iupati/Goodwin/DeCastro/Davis o-line would be NASTY. Iupati and DeCastro may even flip flop. Also, no way 2 rookie safeties make this roster. I bet we draft a FS fairly high (3rd round maybe) to be the backup free safety (if Whitner gets hurt, move Goldson to SS and insert rook) and maybe get a couple snaps a game in a dime defense, and, if necessary, to replace Goldson in 2013. Spillman and Jones would be the 4th and 5th safeties.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by fan49:
except for theres not one wr. moss is here for a year- if he can still ball. we need a newb to train up period. we have no legit 1 after moss.

Umm, we've got 4 WRs under age 26 - what's the problem?

Moss
Crabs
Mario
Williams
manningham changes the draft for sure. now we do not need to necessarily draft a WR in the first 2. we can wait for someone in the third where there is a lot of talent. before manningham there was no way we could just wait until the third or later.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
With the Niners now signing Manningham, the needs continue to become more defined for the Niners. Here is my second take based on where things stand prior to Manning's decision:

Round 1 Coby Fleener TE Stanford - now adding another weapon to complete Harbaugh's ideal offense
Round 2 Shea McClellin OLB - depth at OLB and may allow Niners to trade Haralson
Round 3 Robert Turbin RB Utah St.- 3rd RB and long term insurance for Gore
Round 4 Derek Wolfe DE Cincinnati - depth behind Smith and Macdonald; Big East defensive player of the year
Round 5 Ryan Miller OG Colorado - someone to compete with with Kilgore for RG spot
Round 6 Christian Thompson FS - replacement for Reggie Smitha to backup Goldson at FS
Round 7 Delano Howell SS - backup to Donte Whitner
My mock going to change a bit after the Manningham signing, but that don't mean we are going to pick for luxury in the first either. Look, WE DON'T NEED A TE, NOT IN THE FIRST!!! I know people around here have this man-crush for Fleener but he wont be a starter on the 49ers so long as Vernon is on the roster. And to be sure, we are not going to feature a two TE look either. Jesus!!
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Mar 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM ]
I think the top 3 needs for the 49ers are RG, DE, and WR.
The 49ers have their 5 CB's in Rogers, Brown, Cox, Brock and Culliver. At S they have Goldson, Whinter, Jones and Spillman with CJ Spillman the only backup capable steping into to the starting lineup. So a backup FS would be a spot that needs to be addressed.

With only 4 WRs on the roster and only 3 that played last year it is still the #1 priority.
The best part of the 2012 draft is that it has a very very good OG and WR class.
For all those people saying we don't need a TE in the first, the question is does Harbaugh think we need a TE in the first? His ideal offense at Stanford involved 3 TE's (Fleener, Ertz and Toilolo) and we will get to see how athletic Fleener is later this week with his Pro Day on the 22nd. If I was to make any revisions to this draft based on feedback it would be these

Round 2 Amini Silatolu OG Midwestern St.
Round 5 Joe Adams WR-KR Arkansas or Devon Wylie WR-KR Fresno St - which ever one is available
Round 7 BPA
I dont understand Round 2.. You want to draft a OLB to add depth, but then trade away your depth in haralson?

Love the wolfe pick but yea homie a guard needs to be in teh mix
Share 49ersWebzone