There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Post Manningham mock draft

With the Niners now signing Manningham, the needs continue to become more defined for the Niners. Here is my second take based on where things stand prior to Manning's decision:

Round 1 Coby Fleener TE Stanford - now adding another weapon to complete Harbaugh's ideal offense
Round 2 Shea McClellin OLB - depth at OLB and may allow Niners to trade Haralson
Round 3 Robert Turbin RB Utah St.- 3rd RB and long term insurance for Gore
Round 4 Derek Wolfe DE Cincinnati - depth behind Smith and Macdonald; Big East defensive player of the year
Round 5 Ryan Miller OG Colorado - someone to compete with with Kilgore for RG spot
Round 6 Christian Thompson FS - replacement for Reggie Smitha to backup Goldson at FS
Round 7 Delano Howell SS - backup to Donte Whitner
Manningham signing doesn't change the need for a #1 WR. He is a #3.

I like Fleener a lot but all that does is push Walker to H-back.

RG is perhaps the most important need of all, though we don't know how the coaches view Kilgore. I don't see him as the kind of quality that would be an 8-10 year answer.
Manningham changes nothing in the draft.
Originally posted by dj43:

Well just imagine Fleener, VD, Walker, Gore and Moss for one formation for our RZ offense.

RG is perhaps the most important need of all, though we don't know how the coaches view Kilgore. I don't see him as the kind of quality that would be an 8-10 year answer.

What WR are we going to take at #30 that's better than Crabtree, Moss, and Manningham?
Originally posted by okdkid:

If he doesn't change anything, how would you handle the draft? Does that mean Niners pass on someone like McClellin and grab Streeter in the second? Make a suggestion.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

I disagree, signing Manningham does change the draft, because at least for the short term we have our top 3 WRs. Moss is the only widecard and if he is the Randy of old then we dont need a #2, Manningham signing with us pretty much tells me 1 of 2 two things a. the chance at playing for another SB won out vs signing with the rams or b. we told him he'd be the #2 because Moss wont be an every down player. Also Manningham is signed for 2 years so we'd likely see what he can do at least for 1 year before we make a commitment to find a new top dog at WR.

Unless our FO pulls off a monster trade and sends Crabtree packing on draft day we do not need a #1/#2 because they've made it clear that he is the #1 in our offense even if he still has some ways to go before being a "true #1".

We might find a "#1/#2 in training" in the middle rounds like Tommy Streeter, Brian Quick, DeVier Posey, Greg Childs, Chris Givens, etc but we do not need a spend a #1 pick on a WR who will be at best 3rd on our DC(moss would be the #4 WR under this idea lol) for the first year or 2 of his deal.

Also we still need a #2KR/PR guy because everyone on here thinks Williams should never touch a football again so under that premise we would more then likely draft a guy like Devon Wylie, TJ Graham, Jordan White, Travis Benjamin, Chris Owusu, TY Hilton, Eric Page, etc.

Whether this forum likes it or not the Moss/Manningham signings all but completely derails the idea of using our #1 on WR, unless like I said the FO is willing to have him basically sit on the bench and only come in for very exclusive play packages.

EDIT: based on recent chatter of us bringing in that "PS warrior" FB for a work out I dont see us drafting a TE, IMHO we make it our top priority to draft a C/G in the first and if none of them are on the board we take the BPA out of any of these positions WR, TE, RB, OLB.
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM ]
WE NEED LEFT GUARD AT #1, IF IT MEANS TRADING DOWN TO GET GLEN I SAY DO IT! LEFT CORNERBACK AT 2, KR/WR ALSO NEEDED! OTHERS DRAFT BEST AVAILABLE.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HarryPeterson:
WE NEED LEFT GUARD AT #1, IF IT MEANS TRADING DOWN TO GET GLEN I SAY DO IT! LEFT CORNERBACK AT 2, KR/WR ALSO NEEDED! OTHERS DRAFT BEST AVAILABLE.

you mean RIGHT GUARD! NOW STFU WITH THE CAPS LOCK!!
  • Amir
  • Veteran
With this signing, we have to get a Guard in the First.

Agree. I still wanna draft Stephen Hill for a #1 receiver to develop for the 49ers.
Originally posted by Amir:
With this signing, we have to get a Guard in the First.

. The Niners are teed up for BPA at pick 30 and 62. They have a big board stacked by talent and need. WR/TE/G/C/DE/CB/FS/SS are all positions that could be addressed with BPA. Guards can be had in later rounds and Kilgore is penciled in as a starter. They can get a guard later in the draft or a veteran through FA to compete.

HOWEVER if BPA is a guard- DeCastro (miracle) falls or Konz, or they trade their 30 and pick in 4th round to trade up for De Castro or the WR they are targeting I am fine. However if the top Guards are gone at pick 30, then it is the job of the GM to find the BPA to draft.
I like the players you chose but the Niners simply cannont wait until round 5 to take an OL. Substitute someone like Glen for Kleener and I would give it a big thumbs up.

Disagree in the sense that I don't see any WR at the point where we draft that could come in and be a TRUE #1 over Crabby or even Manningham. Blackmon and Floyd will be long gone and Stephen Hill will also likely be snapped up in the early 20s, leaving Kendall Wright (possibly), Alshon Jeffrey, Rueben Randle and Mohamed Sanu.

Sorry, but as much as I like those last 4 guys, I don't see them being an upgrade over Crabs or MM, much less being a true #1. Now, that doesn't mean we still won't go WR with #30 overall (if the available talent is worthy), but signing Manningham gives us much more flexibility to go with a guard, TE or a 3-4 DE as opposed to being FORCED to go WR with our #1.
Like the players BUT

We need OLine in the 2nd like a Brandon Washington or Brandon Brooks or best RG available. Maybe a little high for Brooks but he'll be gone by the time we pick in the 3rd.

Reallly like the Derek Wolfe pick.