There are 183 users in the forums

Number One Draft Priority: Center?

Originally posted by mebemused:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
This. Both lines are now the priority in my opinion especially if we get another WR in free agency such as Manningham or Royal. I think the Niners should aggressivley move up and draft DeCastro, Konz, or Glenn if they fall in the late teens or 20s.
The OG position is deep in this draft. No need to trade up. In fact, if an OG/C is your highest priority, than trading back would make sense cause the following OG's should be available across the second round according to DraftScout.com's value board:
#36 Kevin Zeitler
#44 Peter Konz C
#48 Kelechi Osemele
#59 Ben Jones C
#63 Amini Silatolu

If we let the talent come to us, Ben Jones or Amini Silatolu should be available at #62. And we still have our first round pick for BPA.

I see Konz going first off of that list, and I see him going to Indy in the top of the 2nd. Zeitler I think will be further down when drafted. Jones could be a great move...I know MD was high on him during the year and he spots OL pretty quickly.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Fact of the matter is, we NEED immediate upgrades on the interior.

We need a C, RG, DE, NT, FS, WR, and OLB depth.

This. Both lines are now the priority in my opinion especially if we get another WR in free agency such as Manningham or Royal. I think the Niners should aggressivley move up and draft DeCastro, Konz, or Glenn if they fall in the late teens or 20s.

Konz has a good chance of being available. Apparently, he would be the first interior lineman with less than 20 repetitions on the bench at the combine to be drafted in the 1st in the past five years, if he does get picked.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 15, 2012 at 10:26 PM ]
Don't think Konz gets past the Packers
I' still believe Kendall Wright is the 1st round pick we want but if we sign Manning we do have to pick 1 of the top 3 guards in the draft so what would it cost us to trade up are 1st to get Kendall say about #21/#25 pick and trade up our 2nd to #44 pick?
Number one draft priority: WR
It's really hard to say.

If we throw all of our remaining cap space at Manning, then we are left with with holes at WR, G and C. Looking to the future, we also need to pick a RB because Gore is showing signs of wear and Hunter probably doesn't have the physique to be an every down back. If Manning is just a stalking horse to get Alex Smith to put pen to paper, then we have enough cap space to address the other depth areas.

Options:

1. Take the best player available at #30 - long term, this is probably the best course, but it doesn't address the lack of depth on the O-Line and WR.

2. Trade up and draft OG David DeCastro or Kendal Wright. Either look to be ready to play in the NFL. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm not convinced Zeitler is a short term answer and Hill has some risk.

3. stay at 30 and pick Stephen Hill - high risk, high reward. Great measurables aren't a bad thing, Randy Moss had (has?) great measurables.
[ Edited by LeftToaster on Mar 16, 2012 at 10:16 PM ]
ill take WR for 10 million alex
I think you always have to restock both lines. I think the Snyder defection is going to force us to go after a FA and Goodwin will be a hole in the near future. I wouldn't mess with AD, since he seemed to have made huge strides last year. Of course, that was with a vet playing alongside him instead of Chilo.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Kilgore was drafted to play inside whether that's at center or guard. The 49ers shouldn't limit themselves to only center in the draft, they need to look at all the guards and centers. If they sign a cheap short term guard in free agency they'll be in prime position to get a player who has an opportunity to develop at guard or center if needed as well as allowing Kilgore and Person to continue to sit back and learn.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
RG/C just became our top priority with the Manningham signing. Right now we have our top 3 WRs set (I'd even argue top 4 because Williams is a talent WR but people have differing opinions) so I think it makes little sense to draft a WR who would at best be our #3 on our DC for at least an entire year(under this idea Moss would be the #4 and Williams the #5 with Manningham as the #2). Also everyone on here believes that Williams should never touch a kick return again so we'd need a #2KR/PR guy behind Perrish Cox and the there isn't a single 1st round WR who can return kicks(No attempts by Wright and Stephen Hill had a SINGLE kickoff return attempt as well).

With our defense completely intact we only need to look for depth and improve it that way so defense isn't a top priority at all.

Our offensive sides priority in the order of importance according to me are.

1. RG (with both of our RGs on the way out we only have Kilgore and unless you want him protecting Manning(we'd like him to not break his neck)/Kaepernick(we dont want him developing Blaine Gabbert Syndrome)/Smith(as one of most sacked QBs in the league the last thing we'd want is to add an even more inexperience O-lineman in front of him)

2. C (With Goodwin still capable only need to find a Guard to could transition once he is done)

3. WR (why is it this low? look above, we have our top 3 or 4 options set at least for the foreseeable future, IMHO we wouldn't have signed Moss without
knowing he'd be at worst a #3 for us. Then the FO followed their motto and waited it out signed a very capable #2 in Manningham for dirt cheap)

4. RB (Dixon is not a good 3rd and short RB - we need an improvement

5. FB (we do need a H-Back or backup FB behind Miller now lol)

We definitely need a RG/C. Even if that is the most obvious need, with our free agent signings, that doesn't mean it is our first round pick. With a deep OG class in this draft, we can get a good guard in the second or third. Look at Carl Nicks, he was taken in the 3rd round.

How much longer do you think that Randy Moss can play, 1-2 years? Wouldn't it be smart to take a WR, to be mentored by Moss? Wr's take longer to develop, so a rookie year coming in on sub-packages would be a great way to develop a rookie. And at 35, Moss won't heal as fast, so there is no guarantee that he will play 16 games.

Oh, and Manningham signed a 2 year contract.

Similarly, how many more years do you think Justin Smith has? Plus Soap's contract is up at the end of next season. With the run on pass rushing DEs, there should be very good DL talent at our #30 pick.

Take BPA at 30, could be DL, or WR. If you must have an OG with our first pick, try and trade back, cause the second round will have very good OG talent, and the extra 3rd round pick will be useful in picking up a NT.
Originally posted by mebemused:
The OG position is deep in this draft. No need to trade up. In fact, if an OG/C is your highest priority, than trading back would make sense cause the following OG's should be available across the second round according to DraftScout.com's value board:
#36 Kevin Zeitler
#44 Peter Konz C
#48 Kelechi Osemele
#59 Ben Jones C
#63 Amini Silatolu

If we let the talent come to us, Ben Jones or Amini Silatolu should be available at #62. And we still have our first round pick for BPA.

Trade our 30 for carilina's 2nd and 3rd and then get Konz there
The greatest needs, once Smith signs, are:
1) RG- The team currently has __________________ as the starter. Not good.
2) C- Jonathan Goodwin graded out poorly in 2012. Was 32nd out of 34 centers in pass protection. Clearly a downgrade from David Baas.
3) NT- Sopoaga is a free agent after this year. The Niners need depth.
4) FS- Goldson is on a one-year contract, unless the team prepares to sign him to a multi-year contract soon.

Somewhere along the way, the team needs to address PR duties, if Ginn leaves. This may be through another corner or wide receiver.

In my draft last year, I had the team drafting Rodney Hudson of Florida State in the second round, who will be starting this year for the Chiefs, and in the fourth round, Marcus Cannon, who might end up starting this year for the Patriots at guard. The CK selection came with a price, with the interior line looking wobbly going into 2012.

I think DE depth would be nice in the latter rounds, but I think that is a high priority in 2013.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 19, 2012 at 11:04 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The greatest needs, once Smith signs, are:
1) RG- The team currently has __________________ as the starter. Not good.
2) C- Jonathan Goodwin graded out poorly in 2012. Was 32nd out of 34 centers in pass protection. Clearly a downgrade from David Baas.
3) NT- Sopoaga is a free agent after this year. The Niners need depth.
4) FS- Goldson is on a one-year contract, unless the team prepares to sign him to a multi-year contract soon.

Somewhere along the way, the team needs to address PR duties, if Ginn leaves. This may be through another corner or wide receiver.

In my draft last year, I had the team drafting Rodney Hudson of Florida State in the second round, who will be starting this year for the Chiefs, and in the fourth round, Marcus Cannon, who might end up starting this year for the Patriots at guard. The CK selection came with a price, with the interior line looking wobbly going into 2012.

I think DE depth would be nice in the latter rounds, but I think that is a high priority in 2013.

Cox will handle PR duties assuming he makes the team as a 4th CB which I believe he will.

There is no question that OG and C are their two biggest needs now.
I agree Center is something we will look at in the draft but #1 priority? No way, we signed Goodwin for 3 years and he'll be our starter for that long and maybe another year or 2 after that. We need a back up C now with Snyder gone and that's a middle to late round find. We need to address our return game, DL depth, LB depth and potentially look at the WR position. Then the whole Fleener TE wildcard.

One "prediction" I have for the Draft. No one, not one single person on the Webzone or anywhere else will be right about what the 49ers do. They will surprise us with most if not all of the picks they make.
Share 49ersWebzone