There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Early Free Agency draft impacts.....Please add thoughts going forward

I think Luck, RG3, and Kalil are 1,2,3 locks.....Then things could go alot of directions.

4. Cleveland could go anywhere from Tannehill, to Blackmon, to Richardson
5. Tampa had a big day addressing G, WR, and CB. Claiborne might not be as big of a lock after signing FA CB Eric Wright. I'd still take him at #5
6. The Rams still hope Blackmon drops
7. Jacksonville isn't gonna sign any top FA WR, I think Floyd has to be a consideration if they don't go defense
8. Miami just traded Brandon Marshall so WR could be a thought now
9. Carolina hasn't done anything yet and has many needs
10. Buffalo is trying to get Mario Williams.....Many have a pass rusher projected
11. Arizona still in Manning hunt, more to come
12. Seattle quiet so far, Matt Flynn maybe
19. Chicago got WR Marshall, could go defense in round 1
22. Cleveland will definately consider WR at 22 if they pass on Blackmon at #4
26. Houston still needs WR help
27. Patriots too
Let's say for this post tha Manning goes to Denver.

The first one I look at is #4 Cleveland. If they get Flynn, I think they trade back with either Miami, Seatle of KC and get extra picks.

I don't see AZ moving up for Tannehil because Kolb is a better option at that point.
Depending on where Manning goes, likely Denver, then where will Flynn go, Miami, Seattle or Cleveland. If he goes Seattle or Miami, then Cleveland may have to reach at 4 and take Tannehill. Then I can see Seattle trading back into round 1 and get Brandon Weeden(though I wouldn't recommend it).

Tampa wise, 5th pick could be either Richardson or Claiborne. And in second round go with whatever position not drafted in rd 1. They may pickup Curtis Lofton, but it wouldn't impact rd 1.

Houston needs OLB to fill Mario's shoes, WR and NT

Baltimore needs a OLB now with Jarrett Johnson in San Diego and a ILB to groom for future when Ray Lewis retires

Dallas will now look OLB IMO with Brandon Carr signed.

For us, WR(if we dont get Robinson, Manningham, Lloyd or Schillens), RG(Depended on FA signing), and depth at OLB, ILB, FS and RB.
Early judgement would be that with all the teams signing these WRs maybe one of the top guys falls to us. Just a quick look there are a few teams but a good chunk signed top guys... TB, San Diego, Jaguars, Redskins, Saints....

A quick guess at teams that could go after a WR but most have other bigger needs and a #1 already
St. Louis Rams - Threats to take a WR
Minnesota Vikings - at 3rd overall they could go blackmon but think they go kalil
Cleveland Browns - Have Greg Little but could be threats to take a WR
Miami Dolphins - Losing marshall threats to take a WR
Tennessee Titans - Britt, threats to take a wr
New England Patriots - use their te's but threats to take a wr
Pittsburgh Steelers - if they think they will lose wallace
houston - andre but could use #2

So I guess all those teams signing the big WRs helps our chances but still a lot of teams that could take one although looks like Miami and St Louis are the only ones who desperatly need one.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 14, 2012 at 6:27 PM ]
Much of this draft will hinge on where Manning lands. If he goes to Denver or Tennessee, then the free agent QB's and Ryan Tannehill become the big winners. Matt Flynn and even Alex Smith's value goes up, as the Cards will part with Kolb (they are not going to pay the $7 million bonus due after this Friday. It also leaves the Dolphins, Browns, and a combination of the Chiefs, Seahawks, Cards without a reliable starting quarterback. The feeding frenzy for Flynn could be crazy to witness.
Would Pary Harolson be a potential trade player for a need team? Do we need a RB and would we get that RB in FA or the draft? It appears we are down to RG, C, WRs, and a RB, plus Smith.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Would Pary Harolson be a potential trade player for a need team? Do we need a RB and would we get that RB in FA or the draft? It appears we are down to RG, C, WRs, and a RB, plus Smith.

I don't see the need in cutting or trading Haralson. He is a great #3 OLB. I might look for a 3rd RB upgrade over Dixon this year. Doubt we look for a Gore replacement... probably next year.

My draft needs: WR x 2, RG, future C, possibly 3rd RB upgrade... possibly S, DL, LB depth
The top 10 hinges solely on the Browns and Bucs. NFL.com was reporting that while Cleveland was expected to be in the mix for Matt Flynn, they have yet to pursue him (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8279773e/article/browns-reportedly-not-in-running-for-qb-flynn). I assume this means that they are going to stick with McCoy for one more year, or are looking in other directions for a guy to compete with him. If they are going McCoy it would almost be heartbreaking for him if they passed on Blackmon and drafted Claiborne, leaving him with Greg Little to throw too. So I expect Blackmon to go 4. If he does get to the 5th pick I expect the Bucs to trade back. They handled their greatest needs in FA but still have too many holes on the roster to not want additional pics and there are WR needy teams like the Jags who would love to leapfrog the Rams for Blackmon. Rams would take Richardson under that scenario (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8278727d/article/alabamas-richardson-reportedly-high-on-rams-draft-list?module=HP11_headline_stack). I expect the Fins to lose out on Manning but land Flynn, who would have no one to throw to now Marshall is gone, so you're looking at trading up for Blackmon or taking Floyd, or going with a top DE to pair with Wake in the new 4-3. Panthers will take the top DLineman or CB available.

As you can see by that jumblefu** of nonsense I just posted above, FA has shaken up everything but the top 3 picks, which are set in stone barring a freak car accident to Luck, RG3 or Kalil.
Best case scenario for us is if Floyd manages to fall out of the top 10, which could potentially send him on one of those famous draft day slides all the way into the 20s where the Texans somehow land him, which would push Wright down the board and into our laps, or at least in a position where the cost to trade up to get him will be minimized. Chances of this are slim, bordering on none, but crazy things happen come draft day.
Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit:
The top 10 hinges solely on the Browns and Bucs. NFL.com was reporting that while Cleveland was expected to be in the mix for Matt Flynn, they have yet to pursue him (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8279773e/article/browns-reportedly-not-in-running-for-qb-flynn). I assume this means that they are going to stick with McCoy for one more year, or are looking in other directions for a guy to compete with him. If they are going McCoy it would almost be heartbreaking for him if they passed on Blackmon and drafted Claiborne, leaving him with Greg Little to throw too. So I expect Blackmon to go 4. If he does get to the 5th pick I expect the Bucs to trade back. They handled their greatest needs in FA but still have too many holes on the roster to not want additional pics and there are WR needy teams like the Jags who would love to leapfrog the Rams for Blackmon. Rams would take Richardson under that scenario (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8278727d/article/alabamas-richardson-reportedly-high-on-rams-draft-list?module=HP11_headline_stack). I expect the Fins to lose out on Manning but land Flynn, who would have no one to throw to now Marshall is gone, so you're looking at trading up for Blackmon or taking Floyd, or going with a top DE to pair with Wake in the new 4-3. Panthers will take the top DLineman or CB available.

As you can see by that jumblefu** of nonsense I just posted above, FA has shaken up everything but the top 3 picks, which are set in stone barring a freak car accident to Luck, RG3 or Kalil.

My guess is only the top 2 picks are pre-determined. Kalil looks like a lock, but the Vikes started 8 different CB's last year so Claiborne has to be a consideration. Cleveland has been left out in the cold so far this offseason, but a lot can happen in the next 40 days prior to the draft. The Bucs have spent big money on free agency at WR, OG , and CB so Richardson could be the pick or serious trade bait for the Bengals if he's still there.
Much of this draft will hinge on where Manning lands. If he goes to Denver or Tennessee, then the free agent QB's and Ryan Tannehill become the big winners. Matt Flynn and even Alex Smith's value goes up, as the Cards will part with Kolb (they are not going to pay the $7 million bonus due after this Friday. It also leaves the Dolphins, Browns, and a combination of the Chiefs, Seahawks, Cards without a reliable starting quarterback. The feeding frenzy for Flynn could be crazy to witness.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

my theory

Fynn goes to Miami and Manning goes to Denver

we trade out of 30 and somebody (Browns) get Tannehill, and in a desperate move the Seahawks trade with Denver for Tebow and give up their 2nd rounder
Originally posted by jreff22:
my theory

Fynn goes to Miami and Manning goes to Denver

we trade out of 30 and somebody (Browns) get Tannehill, and in a desperate move the Seahawks trade with Denver for Tebow and give up their 2nd rounder

I'm not sure Tannehill lasts that long but I would love for him to be there when we pick. Would be major leverage if teams wanted to come back up and get him. Instead of a 3rd for moving from 30 to 40ish we might be able to get a future 1st or 2nd. Then again some might be satisfied with Weeden at their pick in the 40s even though he will be 29 during next season.
Who knows on Tannehill? Manning/ Flynn, Kolb if released, hold the keys to him. If most teams have adrressed their QB need, he could drop. Andy Daulton was a 2nd last year

Weeden is older then Alex Smith, lol

My prediction is Manning to Denver, Flynn to Miami, Kolb stays in Arizona. Leaving Seattle and Cleveland as Tannehill possibilities. Also could Jacksonville trade for Tebow?
Hillis to KC, no more RB need