There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Irishluders off-season FA and mock

Here is my realistic version of our offseason.
I believe that the key to getting to the superbowl next season will involve re-signing our own players and being aggressive with adding a WR in FA that will complement Morgan and Crabtree, not a true #1. Even though I REALLY REALLY wanted to snag Wallace from the Steelers, its not how Baalke does business. He's been really smart with our cap space, and Wallace would not only cost us a 1st round pick, but a 9 million per year WR contract...that would prevent us from being able to resign Rodgers and Morgan.

FA:
Resign- Alex Smith, Rodgers, Morgan, Snyder, Costanzo, Gooden
Walk- Rashal, Peelle, Norris, Ted Ginn, M. Williams, Reggie Smith
Cut: Anthony Dixon, Spencer
Tendered: Larry Grant (7th rounder) he will be picked up by Eagles or Dallas :(

New additions:
Pierre Garcon, WR: He has good speed and has been able to learn from some of the best and classiest WR's in the league.Garcon will give us another #2 level WR to take pressure off of VD and Crabtree. Garcon has a good work ethic and will push crabtree to step up his game. He will come at a reasonable rate.
--- Robert Meachem would be my alternate if Garcon sign's elsewhere

Chris Carr, CB: The weaklink to our DEF is still the DB's. Culliver looked good last season, but he needs time to become a true starter. Spencer was not used last season and Carr will take his roster spot and be a good option behind our starters, if not become Carlos Rodger version 2, an older corner who needs a change of scenery.

Draft:
1st- The 49ers trade the #30 pick to Philly, who have (2) 2nd rounders. 49ers recieve the #46 and #100 (early 4th)

2nd (from Philly) Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford: This years TE class is poor, Fleener is a great fit for our scheme since he plays in the Stanford system. We trade down and still land Fleener. At 6'6" he gives alex another big option for the redzone.

2nd (original)- Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska: We have some good depth on the DL, but the reality is that Justin Smith is the reasonour defense is able to get pressure and he is at the end of his career. Crick was once a mid 1st rounder, but due to injuries has fallen to a 2nd-3rd rounder. Crick is lucky that he gets to heal and watch one of the best DE's in the game for his rookie season. We are lucky becauseCrick has alot of Smith's attributes and we get good value at the end of the 2nd round.

3rd- Robert Turbin, RB, Utah State: WR, WR, WR....we all know we need WR's, but imagine a 49ers team that has to lean on Hunter for an entire season if Gore goes down. We need to plan for the future and invest in another RB. Dixon will be released and Turbin has a great work ethic, great hands, and good blitz pickup.

4th (from Philly)- Ben Jones, C, Georgia: We need to get a C to groom behind Goodwin.

4th (orginal)- Brian Quick or Tommy Streeter, WR: A tall lanky WR to grab the toss up pass.

5th- TY Hilton, WR/KR, Florida Intl- Ginn left for more money and as we know special teams can cost you a game. Hilton is a 4.3 runnerand gives us both a WR to spread the field and a home run threat on KR's.

6th- Justin Bethel, FS/CB, Presbyterian- High character guy with good athletic ability, needs coaching and time to refine techniques.

7th (from Philly)- Donte Paige-Moss, DE, NC- Needs to grow up and play to his ability, boom or bust pick, maybe he'll learn something from our strong locker room.

7th- Miles Burris, OLB, SD State- High character and great backup and ST, the next Larry Grant
[ Edited by irishluder on Mar 12, 2012 at 2:33 AM ]
not sure if fleener will last to #46, also quick and streeter will be taken earlier than 4th
Originally posted by niners9:
not sure if fleener will last to #46, also quick and streeter will be taken earlier than 4th

This!

depends on a few things. The Giants easily could snag Fleener at 32 unless they go RB. Colts could snag him at 34 but they still have Tamme who is a very talented TE. They have many holes to fill. I don't think he goes any further than 51 (I think Bears have that pick). That would probably be worst case scenario for Fleener. Certainly would be awesome value if we could grab fleener at 46 tho.
U know
If Fleener and Quick last until those picks that would be very good.
  • cgida
  • Veteran
Although I like the pickup of Garcon I envision him as the same type of player that Morgan is and if we resign Morgan I don't want Garcon. Fleener will not last past the Giants IMO but I like grabbing Crick in the second as well. He will be a great addition and have the best mentor in J. Smith to learn from. Kind of a poormans J.J. Watt.
Doesn't seem to make any sense that Philly would be trading back into the late 1st round.
I would be very happy with this outcome but really don't see those players being there where you have us taking them.

Could happen though cause things always change once the actual draft gets going and players always rise and fall.

Totally agree. None of them will be there where he has us taking them.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Doesn't seem to make any sense that Philly would be trading back into the late 1st round.

Agree. What is Philly trading up to number 30 for???? Not disagreeing, but you have to name the player they are targeting. The guys you are picking are great but I think if the 49ers want Fleener they would just grab him at 30 instead of risking it at 46.
Overall I like it.

I don't see Philly trading for the 30th. They have Deshawn Jackson to use as trade bait to get a higher selection. Maybe Bears or Houston.

Agree on your assessment of Gore/Hunter. If Frank goes down, even temporarily I don't feel Hunter is an every down back.

I've seen quite a few mocks that have the Giants getting Fleener. I'd jump on him at 30.

Ben Jones is a solid pick.

It's a real crap shoot if Quick/Streeter last until the 4th.

I think Crick is going to be a very good player.

If it did go down like this it would be a good FA & draft.
I think that a solid LB or DL will be available at #30 and Philly will make the trade due to the lower contract costs with the new rookie wage scale.

This years TE class is not impressive and Fleener is not a true 1st rounder, so I would not be surprised if he slides to the early 2nd round.

I really like Brian Quick and since the WR class is strong and the fact that he comes from a small school, I hope we can pick him in the mid rounds.

I used some 7 round mocks to judge where some of these guys could go, but until draft day comes....its anybodys guess?

Thanks for the replys guys
Love the pics, but doubt they would be available at 46. Also you need to consult the value chart, Pick number 30 is 600 points, you would need the eagles 2nd and 3rd rounder to trade into pick 30. Any GM should be fired if they traded a first round pick for a mid second rounder and an early 4th rounder.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Love the pics, but doubt they would be available at 46. Also you need to consult the value chart, Pick number 30 is 600 points, you would need the eagles 2nd and 3rd rounder to trade into pick 30. Any GM should be fired if they traded a first round pick for a mid second rounder and an early 4th rounder.

Thanks

I wanted to make it a reasonable trade. The 4th rounder is very high and would give both clubs a good trade value to get it done.
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:

This!

Agree on Fleener