LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

Kevin Zeitler

Originally posted by jreff22:
I dont want to be playing the "who is the new OL this year" game....I want 5 guys set for the next 10 years

That's one of the main reasons I would like to see them draft a G in the late first or trade back to high second. With Kilgore, Person, Boone and perhaps Beeler they would have a very strong line (with back ups) that could grow together and overcome injuries easily. That would be nine good OLmen...and Goodwin's replacement would be a fight between Kilgore, Person and Zeitler.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
That's one of the main reasons I would like to see them draft a G in the late first or trade back to high second. With Kilgore, Person, Boone and perhaps Beeler they would have a very strong line (with back ups) that could grow together and overcome injuries easily. That would be nine good OLmen...and Goodwin's replacement would be a fight between Kilgore, Person and Zeitler.

And Chase Beeler...Stanfords former starting All American C who was on our practice squad, don't count him out for the C gig.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:

And Chase Beeler...Stanfords former starting All American C who was on our practice squad, don't count him out for the C gig.

Argh! Forgot to put hims down. How many teams would have four guys who could be good Cs down the road?
If you read my original post again, you'll see I didn't say he should be our 1st pick...only that he's the kind of player we need at RG.
Bye bye Rachal, hello Zeitller!
This discussion about current G/C depth reminds me of last year when the Niners didn't draft a NT. I was sure that when Franklin left, they'd target a young NT pretty high to replace him. But then they extended Mcdonald and plugged in Soap at the NT spot. That seemed to work out pretty good. I really like the idea of either Zeitler or Dandled, but I trust the FO to make the right call like they did last year.
Originally posted by crew:
Silatolu is rated 3rd best behind DeCastro and Zeitler and ahead of Osemele and Brooks.

you are forgetting Glenn

Glenn will ( should ) be gone before our pick in the 1st.

agree but I would be hard pressed to pass up on him if he fell....that kid is a mountain

OH HELL YEAH!!!!! If he's there Id take him over Zeitler, position change or not, dude's a BEAST!

Zeitler is the new name of the week...I like him but not in the 1st.

Only problem I have is having every guy on the OL being a 1st rounder....gonna get expensive down the road. Staley signed long term pretty cheap, will Davis and Iupati do the same?

I dont think it matters at all where a player is drafted for their contract down the road. Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks are the two highest paid Guards in the league and they were not drafted high. I want the best OL possible and I believe RG is the Niners greatest need to win right now. Zeitler at 30 or move up to get Glenn if he falls a bit. I would be very happy with either.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I dont think it matters at all where a player is drafted for their contract down the road. Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks are the two highest paid Guards in the league and they were not drafted high. I want the best OL possible and I believe RG is the Niners greatest need to win right now. Zeitler at 30 or move up to get Glenn if he falls a bit. I would be very happy with either.

Very true, and now with the rookie salary scale, the 30th pick is not going to make a ton of money. The only time anyone is concerned with where a person is drafted is on draft day. After that, its ALL about performance. BPA
  • kem99
  • Veteran
If Zeitler (or another OG) is the highest player on the 49ers board at # 30 then fine but Guard is not a need for the 49ers and it is unlikely they go in that direction in the first round. Lets not forget that the bar at RG has not been set very high. Rachal failed despite being given multiple opportunities. Snyder's main value was his versatility and looked good largely because of the comparison to Rachal. Whomever emerges from Kilgore, Boone, Person and whatever veteran the 49ers bring in for competition, the RG will be in better shape than it was last year or in the last few years for that matter, especially when you consider each will get a full off-season of coaching from the 49ers staff. Seems much more likely that the 49ers might seek to add to their OL depth somewhere in rounds 4-7as they did last year.
[ Edited by kem99 on Apr 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM ]
I dont want to be playing the "who is the new OL this year" game....I want 5 guys set for the next 10 years

I doubt Person is in the mix at C. Zeitler would move right into the starting RG spot day 1.

I doubt Person is in the mix at C. Zeitler would move right into the starting RG spot day 1.

They had him practicing at C but if they pick up a starting G then Beeler and Kilgore would be the back ups at C going into camp. Nice to have extra good players in case of injury though!

Indeed! Can we draft Fleener in the first and package our 2nd and 3rd to move up in the 2nd to grab Zeitler??? I WANT THEM BOTH!!!! Damn Im getting greedy..lol
You know what I'm starting to be ok with this idea. I think it's likely Hill and Fleener are gone. And if Chilo can teach you anything it's that a hole at RG can implode your whole team... So now Chilo is gone. And Snyder left in FA. But I'm not sure about Kilgore or Person as a starter. Or Boone in an unnatural position for him. I have some relatives in WI. And I watch a lot of Badgers football. Even been to some of their home games. And Zeitler and Konz too for that matter are for real. We aren't picking top 10. We are picking #30. So G is not sexy. But maybe it's what this team needs. I'd honestly be ok with it. And our O line would be rediculous. 4 first rounders. And good guys too. The best O line in the NFL. That would have to help us.
Indeed! Can we draft Fleener in the first and package our 2nd and 3rd to move up in the 2nd to grab Zeitler??? I WANT THEM BOTH!!!! Damn Im getting greedy..lol

This is currently my dream draft.

1) Pick Fleener at #30 (hope he lasts - doubt it though).
2 + 3) Package together move up in 2nd and pick Zeitler.

4 - 7) The best you can do letting it fall to you and special teams and depth guys.

Honestly Fleener + Zeitler = Super Bowl....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

This is currently my dream draft.

1) Pick Fleener at #30 (hope he lasts - doubt it though).
2 + 3) Package together move up in 2nd and pick Zeitler.

4 - 7) The best you can do letting it fall to you and special teams and depth guys.

Honestly Fleener + Zeitler = Super Bowl....

DONT TEASE ME SD!!!!! My god, I would LOSE MY MIND if that happened!

How about this....

1sr = TE - Fleener
2nd = OG - Zeitler
4th = WR - Ryan Broyles ( can return punts, crazy WR production in college. Only reason he's here is because he tore his ACL, he's healthy now though! )
5th = DT - Hebron Fangupo ( run stuffing DT that played in a 3-4 in college, 6-1, 323, tied for 2nd at the entire NFL draft with 36 reps )
6th = OLB
7th = FS

LOCK IT UP!!!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone