There are 200 users in the forums

Rams got 3 first rounders from wash

• mayo49
  • Veteran
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Rams have all the ammunition they need to make another deal with the Browns if they so choose. Going forward, they have all the ammunition they need to get good again really fast. Thanks a lot Dan Snyder! Just made the Niners job more difficult moving forward.........

Thats what I'm saying. How hard is it to flip those pick into into two first rounders each? Redskins aren't going anywhere and you can easily get a kings ransom for a top ten pick if the talents there. The Skins just didn't give them ammunition, they gave them WMDs.....motherf**kers.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I think Alex may very well be gone. I dont think Baalke will budge much. Maybe a little but not a whole lot, and if another team swoops in and make alex an offer we wont match.....then what?

First, I don't think Alex will simply go to the highest bidder. He will simply use another team's offer to get the most out of the Niners.

Second, we don't really know the details of the contract proposals from either side. So it's all just speculation. All we know is that it's a years vs. dollars debate. Which is the basis of every contract negotiation ever conducted.

Both sides want to get a deal done. If Alex wants to stay, he will stay.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I got a feeling their low balling him because they feel Kaep could do just a good a job.

if they believed that they wouldnt sign him at all

the offer on the table is approx 10 mill a year you would save 8 mil if they went with kaep

Maybe they offered 3 years knowing he wouldn't take it. PR move.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM ]
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I think Alex may very well be gone. I dont think Baalke will budge much. Maybe a little but not a whole lot, and if another team swoops in and make alex an offer we wont match.....then what?

First, I don't think Alex will simply go to the highest bidder. He will simply use another team's offer to get the most out of the Niners.

Second, we don't really know the details of the contract proposals from either side. So it's all just speculation. All we know is that it's a years vs. dollars debate. Which is the basis of every contract negotiation ever conducted.

Both sides want to get a deal done. If Alex wants to stay, he will stay.

Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I got a feeling their low balling him because they feel Kaep could do just a good a job.

Could very well be the case. Or at least they feel like they shouldn't make Alex's contract so big that we can't afford NOT to play him in favor of a potentially "better" Kaep.

He should be rewarded for helping us get so far, but at the same time he is the qb of like the 29th ranked passing attack lets be honest here. Only the coaches and baalke know how far along Kaepernick is and whether or not he can be counted on. We only saw him in preseason, he could have developed a lot as the season went on.

I've been floating an idea out there as far as Alex's contract goes. Why not sign him to the five year deal he want's, but put an out clause in the contract after the third year? To me this would be an everyone wins senario. If Kaep is ready by then great, if not then we can stay the course with Alex. Shoot, Kolb signed a decent sized deal last year with Arizona, and should Manning decide to go there ( I hope not) they will have not trouble getting out of that pact.
Lisa Raines ‏ @LadyinBurgundy Reply Retweet Favorite · Open If I hear one more media person say we gave up 3 1st rounders I will scream.We only gave up 2 -swapped 1st this year. Get it right, people!

Retweeted by Jason La Canfora
Damn... what a trade for the Rams. They get a bounty of picks and will probably still get the player they covet at #6 (Justin Blackmon).
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
2012, 2013 and 2014 1sts and 2012 2nd.

And damn what a bounty of picks.

thats crazy..hopefully washington does well so the rams pick mid to late round
Matt Miller ‏ @nfldraftscout Reply Retweet Favorite · Open From what sources in St. Louis tell me, Snead and Fisher are not big Justin Blackmon fans. I think Brockers is their guy if they keep pick
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I've been floating an idea out there as far as Alex's contract goes. Why not sign him to the five year deal he want's, but put an out clause in the contract after the third year? To me this would be an everyone wins senario. If Kaep is ready by then great, if not then we can stay the course with Alex. Shoot, Kolb signed a decent sized deal last year with Arizona, and should Manning decide to go there ( I hope not) they will have not trouble getting out of that pact.

Well, why not do that with every free agent? It isn't so easy, unfortunately.

The problem is there is no security for Alex after year 3. He'll push for a solid 5 years so he can have that security. Alex isn't trying to do Kaep any favors. There's no incentive for Alex's camp to sign on to a team option for years 4 and 5.

I'm not sure exactly what type of clause you're suggesting. But, it seems like the only one Alex would accept is one that says he can opt out of the contract if he reaches the Pro Bowl in any year...or something like that. That way if he hits FA, he'll be the most coveted QB on the market.

Alex won't sign something that says "if I suck for a few years, the team can opt out". The team could just cut him anyways.

Regarding Kolb, the Cardinals will have several issues. First, they'll have to eat $8MM in cap this year. Second, they would have traded away a 2nd and a starting CB for an experiment gone wrong. Third, they will have signed a 2 year solution (if Manning survives) with no backup plan in place and only mid to late round selections to work with. They're screwing themselves long term for the chance at one year of glory. They better win the SB next year, otherwise they're f**ked.

Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

Well, why not do that with every free agent? It isn't so easy, unfortunately.

The problem is there is no security for Alex after year 3. He'll push for a solid 5 years so he can have that security. Alex isn't trying to do Kaep any favors. There's no incentive for Alex's camp to sign on to a team option for years 4 and 5.

I'm not sure exactly what type of clause you're suggesting. But, it seems like the only one Alex would accept is one that says he can opt out of the contract if he reaches the Pro Bowl in any year...or something like that. That way if he hits FA, he'll be the most coveted QB on the market.

Alex won't sign something that says "if I suck for a few years, the team can opt out". The team could just cut him anyways.

Regarding Kolb, the Cardinals will have several issues. First, they'll have to eat $8MM in cap this year. Second, they would have traded away a 2nd and a starting CB for an experiment gone wrong. Third, they will have signed a 2 year solution (if Manning survives) with no backup plan in place and only mid to late round selections to work with. They're screwing themselves long term for the chance at one year of glory. They better win the SB next year, otherwise they're f**ked.

True, good point.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
The last paragraph is exactly how this will play out unless there are trades. Cleveland isnt going to pass on Blackmon for a huge stretch in Tannehill. I see the Rams getting Reiff as it is a position of need for them.

I see cleveland taking blackmon...they have nothing at wr.Cept for josh cribbs.. Drafting this wr would be just what they need....cribbs,hillis...Blackmon,,get something
started in cleveland
[ Edited by dmax on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM ]
smith isnt greedy he wont ask for much more money he will be asking for years

Years + more guaranteed money.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:56 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
smith isnt greedy he wont ask for much more money he will be asking for years

Years + more guaranteed money.