• Veteran
Resign -

Alex Smith - QB
Josh Morgan - WR
Adam Snyder - OG/OT
Dashon Goldson - FS (franchise)
Ahmad Brooks - DE/OLB

Release -

Parys Haralson - DE/OLB ($2.8M in savings)
Shawntae Spencer - CB ($3.3M in savings)

Free Agency -

Robert Meachem - WR - Saints (medium)
*Deep threat with good hands and route running ability, he's exactly what our offense needs.

Chris Carr - CB - Ravens (low)
*Carr will immediately contribute as a #3 CB and on special teams. Value signing with a Fangio connection.

Marcus Benard - DE/OLB - Browns (low)
*Offseason troubles cut his 2011 season short, but excelled as a pass rusher in the 3-4 defense the previous year. Low risk signing, and better rusher than Haralson.

NFL Draft -

Trade: 49ers trade 1st round pick to Bears for 2nd and 3rd (via Panthers) round picks. Bears trade up to leapfrog the Giants and select Coby Fleener - TE - Stanford. 49ers trade back because Stephen Hill is already off the board.

R2: Jared Crick - DT/DE - Nebraska(via Bears)
*If Healthy in 2011, Crick would have been a first rounder. BPA pick right here.

R2: Doug Martin - RB - Boise State
*While Hunter appears to be a nice 3rd down back, we need a running back that will help Gore share the 1st and 2nd down carries. Not as agile as Gore in his prime, Martin is a nice north-south runner that will round out our RB corps.

R3: Joe Adams - WR/ST - Arkansas (via Bears from Panthers)
*With the 49ers not opting to resign Ginn, we need to replace his talents with someone as electric. Adams will immediately contribute in the return games, but also brings potential on the offensive side. A 5 WR set of Meachem-Morgan-Davis-Adams-Crabtree will be tough to guard.

R3: Chase Minnifield - CB - Virginia
*If available, Minnifield is a nice value pick as he provides good depth for the CB unit, and can help in the return game. Pushes Carr for the #3 spot, and allows the possibility for Culliver to move to FS if we can't lock down a contract with Goldson in 2013.

R4: Micah Pellerin - DB - Hampton
*I like the fit for the 49ers, and I can see the team snagging him a bit early due to his ball skills and size. Projects as the backup FS for 2012.

R5: Derrick Shelby - DE/OLB - Utah
*Assuming Mizz's Smith is not available, Shelby is another attractive candidate for our 3-4 OLB position. Raw project for this spot, Shelby is a good, hard nosed football player that has minimal character issues.

R6: Chris Owusu - WR - Stanford
*Very risky pick, but Harbaugh learned his lesson by waiting until UDFA to snag his guys. May have to "reach" to ensure we draft him, but if he becomes healthy, he could be an absolute steal in this draft.

R7: Antoine McClain - OG - Clemson
*Competes with Person for the final OL roster spot.

Depth Chart -

QB: Smith/Kaepernick/Tolzien
RB: Gore/Martin*/Hunter
FB: Miller/Dixon
TE: Davis/Walker/Byham

WR: Crabtree/Owusu*
WR: Morgan/Adams*
WR: Meachem*

LT: Staley/Boone
LG: Iuptai/Person
C: Goodwin/Beeler
RG: Snyder/Kilgore
RT: Davis

LE: McDonald/Jean-Francois
NT: Sopoaga/Williams
RE: Smith/Crick*

OLB: Smith/Shelby*
ILB: Willis/Grant
ILB: Bowman/Constonzo
OLB: Brooks/Benard*/Gooden

CB: Culliver/Minnifield*/Brock
CB: Brown/Carr
FS: Goldson/Pellerin*
SS: Whitner/Spillman/Jones

ST: Akers, Lee, Jennings
You covered a lot of territory in your draft. I like the RB and the backfield and the WRs. Will be interesting to see who Ballke actually picks.
meachem
fleener
jared crick will probably be available at the 62 spot and martin will probably be gone so those spots should probably be switched. I like it tho, you added depth to our defense, got us some weapons at WR, and got gore's replacement!
No such thing as a risky 6th round pick
Meh not to excited about any player you drafted. I like the range and positions just not the players themselves.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Probably one of the best free agency signs I've seen since everyone starting the mocks for this season. You even have us snapping up Chris Carr like we were talking about in the NFL Talk thread on him.

I would hope we could get something for Haralson and Spencer, even if they are super low or conditional picks but I know we'll end up cutting them :/

Like someone says above switch those Crick and Martin picks around its more likely but if you kept it that way then I think Robert Turbin would actually make more sense at the tail end of the 2nd.

I'm very confused at the idea of drafting 2 cbs and signing 1 in FA. Are you assuming that Pellerin would be put on the PS? Even without Rogers we'd still be at this kind of a DC
Brown - Culliver - Carr - Brock - Minnifield - Pellerin - Holcomb - That's 7 DBs competing for 5 spots and I dont see the 9ers cutting Holcomb lose that quickly and I dont think Pellerin would make it through waivers for the PS either.

Love the Derrick Shelby pick, even without my pride in my school(I'm from Utah) I know that kid has some skills, watched him for all 4 years and he was constant contributor on the Ute's D - If we draft a late round DL and it wasn't him or Travian Robertson from SC I would be furious.

The flier on Owusu is so likely I'm waiting for someone to pick him ahead of us out of spite. Owusu competing with Dontavia Bogan and John Matthews to supplant Kyle Williams would be one hell of a competition to watch.
Geek...overall, I like it quite a bit. However (there's always one of these, huh), I'm not sold Baalke will re-sign Snyder. Now that Solari has the youngsters Kilgore & Person to develop, not sure they'd necessarily keep Snyder. What I can see him doing is getting a starting-caliber OG to strengthen the interior of the OL. Love the Doug Martin pick...he's the complete RB, does everything well, including pass protection and as a bonus, returns kicks. Really, there's nothing not to like about your mock...I'd just take an OG earlier. I do see Harbaugh acquiring Josh Johnson...he has no veteran protection behind Alex and that's an unenviable position to be in. JJ can be had for not a lot of $$, has some talent and a very strong connection to Harbaugh. If they can get another vet OLB to b/u Smith and Brooks, great. Haralson's in the last year of his contract, anyway. Nice job, man.
I don't mind this at all. I'm not excited about FA because I think we go the same route as last year. Meachem would be a great pickup for us, and I really like the idea of drafting Crick.
Pretty realistic mock.

Nice mock Greek. I'm really not up on Benard and would rather keep Parys. It's not like he's breaking the bank.
I like the mock, but it's really hard to just have a trade as if it's known it's going to happen in there don't you think? I've never understood that.
this draft delivers!

+1
I actually like it! I'm a huge fan of Joe Adams. I think he can be our "waterbug" receiver and double as a return man. Only thing I'd change is drop the Boise State RB and insert a OG which I think is a bigger need.

Next years draft is loaded with RBs. Think we can get thru 2012 with our current roster of RBs.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Mar 7, 2012 at 12:17 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
Probably one of the best free agency signs I've seen since everyone starting the mocks for this season. You even have us snapping up Chris Carr like we were talking about in the NFL Talk thread on him.

I would hope we could get something for Haralson and Spencer, even if they are super low or conditional picks but I know we'll end up cutting them :/

Like someone says above switch those Crick and Martin picks around its more likely but if you kept it that way then I think Robert Turbin would actually make more sense at the tail end of the 2nd.

I'm very confused at the idea of drafting 2 cbs and signing 1 in FA. Are you assuming that Pellerin would be put on the PS? Even without Rogers we'd still be at this kind of a DC
Brown - Culliver - Carr - Brock - Minnifield - Pellerin - Holcomb - That's 7 DBs competing for 5 spots and I dont see the 9ers cutting Holcomb lose that quickly and I dont think Pellerin would make it through waivers for the PS either.

Love the Derrick Shelby pick, even without my pride in my school(I'm from Utah) I know that kid has some skills, watched him for all 4 years and he was constant contributor on the Ute's D - If we draft a late round DL and it wasn't him or Travian Robertson from SC I would be furious.

The flier on Owusu is so likely I'm waiting for someone to pick him ahead of us out of spite. Owusu competing with Dontavia Bogan and John Matthews to supplant Kyle Williams would be one hell of a competition to watch.

Pellerin would actually be the backup to Goldson as a Free Safety. Spillman is definitely a strong safety, and Colin Jones is strictly a special teams player. We need depth, and Pellerin would focus on FS, with the possible option of playing at CB due to injury.

But appreciate the kind words!
Share 49ersWebzone