There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

New Trade Value Chart??

Does the old trade value chart still work with the new rookie salary rules? If not, has there been a new chart developed? How are teams valuing their positions now? What would it take for us to trade up into the (high) teens to draft OG David DeCastro from Stanford?
Originally posted by Juggernaut49erFan:
Does the old trade value chart still work with the new rookie salary rules? If not, has there been a new chart developed? How are teams valuing their positions now? What would it take for us to trade up into the (high) teens to draft OG David DeCastro from Stanford?

Since nobody answered I will go ahead and say the value chart should be about the same as it was before especially after early 1st. With the new CBA and the rookie salary structure the early 1st will be worth trading up for again. Teams won't have to committee 40-80 million to a rookie. Plus you can get rid of them after 4-5 years or sooner since you won't have to worry about a big cap hit like in the past. Some players were held on longer than they should have been because you had humongous signing bonuses tied up in them. So early 1st should be the same as always if not more valuable after taking a dip for the past decade or so. After the early 1st... it should be the same throughout the rest of the draft. The non top 10-15 1st rounders got good money but definitely not like the top 10. So teams always kept the value for trading in the mid 1st to late 1st. Same with the rest of the draft.....

Here is the chart....
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/46059-draft-value-chart-calculator-see-bottom/

Honestly, I'd love to get DeCastro and have him start from day 1 but it's probably not going to happen. I think we would have to trade up to anywhere from the 8-10ish range to like 15 at the very latest. I'd say closer to the 8-10 ish range, maybe earlier. Can't think of a better G prospect in a decade plus. So if we went up to 8-10 ish range it would cost us pick 30, our 1st next year and probably a 3rd rounder from this year.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 4, 2012 at 7:27 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Since nobody answered I will go ahead and say the value chart should be about the same as it was before especially after early 1st. With the new CBA and the rookie salary structure the early 1st will be worth trading up for again. Teams won't have to committee 40-80 million to a rookie. Plus you can get rid of them after 4-5 years or sooner since you won't have to worry about a big cap hit like in the past. Some players were held on longer than they should have been because you had humongous signing bonuses tied up in them. So early 1st should be the same as always if not more valuable after taking a dip for the past decade or so. After the early 1st... it should be the same throughout the rest of the draft. The non top 10-15 1st rounders got good money but definitely not like the top 10. So teams always kept the value for trading in the mid 1st to late 1st. Same with the rest of the draft.....

Here is the chart....
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/46059-draft-value-chart-calculator-see-bottom/

Honestly, I'd love to get DeCastro and have him start from day 1 but it's probably not going to happen. I think we would have to trade up to anywhere from the 8-10ish range to like 15 at the very latest. I'd say closer to the 8-10 ish range, maybe earlier. Can't think of a better G prospect in a decade plus. So if we went up to 8-10 ish range it would cost us pick 30, our 1st next year and probably a 3rd rounder from this year.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I think trading up to get DeCastro would really help our O-Line. Also I have the same last name so I think it would be the coolest thing to go and buy a new Niner jersey and have DECASTRO on the back! Ha! You think if he falls to the mid-teens we might consider trading up for him?
From a business standpoint it would be a HUGE mistake to invest so much in another OL player. We have Staley, Iupati and Davis with 1st round investments. Then add DeCastro and that means we will be taking away from other areas of need, like WR.

The OL will not look good if we don't have any WR's to get open.

I think the odds of this happening are next to zero.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
From a business standpoint it would be a HUGE mistake to invest so much in another OL player. We have Staley, Iupati and Davis with 1st round investments. Then add DeCastro and that means we will be taking away from other areas of need, like WR.

The OL will not look good if we don't have any WR's to get open.

I think the odds of this happening are next to zero.

Baas was pick 33 so 1st pick of the 2nd round back in 05 as well. It sucks that we have that many high picks and we are still struggling. Davis should have a breakout year this year. Goodwin and Snyder if back have to step it up. I don't see us trading up for anyone other than WR and even that's a slim chance. I could see us going down from 30 to early/mid 2nd though. The end of the 1st should be swarming with teams wanting to move back up and get players that fell.
The trade value chart goes out the window this year. That 2nd pick will be worth way more. STL will want 2 1st's(2012 and 2013), a 2nd and possibly 3rd or 4th. Think 2004's Trade Eli for Rivers.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home