There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

if niners draft a defensive lineman in round one, who likely would be available...

and fit their scheme?

justin smith and ray mcdonald logged alot of playing time last season and the beat writers reported after the season the niners might look to be taking a dlineman early in the draft....so i wonder who might be availoabel at the end of round 1 who would fit their scheme....

im thinking maybe a kendell reyes

a guy who can pressure the qb in a 4 man rush seems to be a big part of fangio's system, as he likes to keep 7 in coverage
we might be able to get reyes in the 2nd. i wish poe was still projected to fall to us
id rather get crick in round 2

he was first round talent before getting injured for the year
NO MORE OLINE IN THE FIRST ROUND
if we trade back, Reyes. I get the hunch that we are going to either trade back or draft fleener if he's there. Obviously thats coming from no sources and no I didnt watch "tape" , but just get that feeling. Dont want to take a receiver, corner or guard in the 1st but who knows. We'll all probably be surprised.
Originally posted by 9erguy:
if we trade back, Reyes. I get the hunch that we are going to either trade back or draft fleener if he's there. Obviously thats coming from no sources and no I didnt watch "tape" , but just get that feeling. Dont want to take a receiver, corner or guard in the 1st but who knows. We'll all probably be surprised.

id take hill or wright (obviously floyd as well) if they drop over fleener
Reyes would be an ideal target at the #30 pick. Fletcher Cox and Brandon Thompson would also fit the bill late in the first round. Based on what Baalke is doing so far this offseason, you have to believe that keeping our defense strong is a priority.
Dontario Poe
This is an insanely deep draft for interior defensive lineman and plenty of value at that pick now that Poe has combined himself into the first part of the 1st round. That being said, the Niners board probably hasnt put much of an emphasis on D-lineman available that early since they specifically made roster moves to keep 3 UDFA's from getting out in the open. Very possible we pass over a DL stud because of the board not placing much value on that position so early.
well, sus is a bit more vehement about it than I , and I have been for taking OLs in first rd forever. Now, however, neither OL nor DL, the keys to a great football team, are our primary need. We gotta have not 1 but 2 great good hands guys. It is really hard for me to see us taking any lineman in the first , instead either moving up for a top 4 WR, or getting lucky and getting a #1 WR in FA(wallace was "tendered" an offer for $2.75 mil due to Pissburg cap issues, PLUS 7 of their guys, incl rottenberger, have restructured their deals to try and keep wallace. No way someone doesn't offer more which pissburg will match, but the question is up to what point. Even if we did get a #1WR at FA, we would still need to nail down another WR in draft . I would be amazed to see us not take a Wr early, and my gut is to move up. But not for a DL.
Originally posted by 5280High:
This is an insanely deep draft for interior defensive lineman and plenty of value at that pick now that Poe has combined himself into the first part of the 1st round. That being said, the Niners board probably hasnt put much of an emphasis on D-lineman available that early since they specifically made roster moves to keep 3 UDFA's from getting out in the open. Very possible we pass over a DL stud because of the board not placing much value on that position so early.


Totally agree. I think they kept so many DL because they know that developing them for a year would make them better than most future draft picks.

Ian Williams- NT
RJF- DE
Dobbs- DE
Will Tukufa- DE- I think could be a solid player.

Keep the above seven, and they just need to trust them and rotate them in more.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
id rather get crick in round 2

he was first round talent before getting injured for the year

will crick last to the end of the 2nd round?
I think Clemson DT Brandon Thompson is a very likely player. He is a stout run defender, has good strength, and ability to be disruptive behind the LOS. I have him graded as the second best DT in the draft, outside of Brockers. He doesn't have the flash of a Worthy, or physical upside as a Poe, but if you watch the Senior Bowl practices and game, he really showed well against some solid interior offensive talent.

Soap's contract ends after this year, so I think the team will target the position somewhere in the draft.

Kendall Reyes is a guy the team would probably target if they are looking at DE.
+1 Brandon Thompson
+1 Kendall Reyes

Fletcher Cox or Jerel Worthy may still be on the board.