There are 188 users in the forums

Anyone else see Jim Leavitt of the 9ers running the linebacker drills??

I absolutely love it. Last night I was watching Path to the Draft and the Niners linebackers coach was running the LB drills at the combine. This is very similar to last year when the niners ran the DE drills and ended up picking a surprise in Aldon Smith.

Jim Leavitt worked the linebackers and I am convinced this up close coaching will help him pick a developmental OLB for the 3-4 in round 4-6.

I did notice he chatted up some players and tried to get in their head a little, and others he just ignored and put them through the drills as quickly as possible. With Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman, Aldon Smith and Parys Haralson, any rookie would have a high potential to develop with this structure.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
I absolutely love it. Last night I was watching Path to the Draft and the Niners linebackers coach was running the LB drills at the combine. This is very similar to last year when the niners ran the DE drills and ended up picking a surprise in Aldon Smith.

Jim Leavitt worked the linebackers and I am convinced this up close coaching will help him pick a developmental OLB for the 3-4 in round 4-6.

I did notice he chatted up some players and tried to get in their head a little, and others he just ignored and put them through the drills as quickly as possible. With Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman, Aldon Smith and Parys Haralson, any rookie would have a high potential to develop with this structure.

Rathman was also running the RBs yesterday.
Originally posted by sfout:

Sweetness, I hope the Niners draft a BPA RB, (ideally in rounds 3-7) that could give Dixon competition and potentially replace Dixon and be the rotating starter with Hunter once Gore retires in a few years.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:

Sweetness, I hope the Niners draft a BPA RB, (ideally in rounds 3-7) that could give Dixon competition and potentially replace Dixon and be the rotating starter with Hunter once Gore retires in a few years.

Yep looks like our LB and RB picks this year will have been really well thought out.
That was one of the things I liked about Nolan. He, and his crew, were willing to coach at the senior bowl. I think having our coaches do these things helps us to get a better view of the players and make our draft choices a little clearer. Now all we need is another good draft from Baalke to ice out all of the good assessments.

I dunno how much a young player would develop with us. i mean look at the guys you named. all mid 20s range. can play for at least another five six years. I would think that will stunt a young players growth. Im hoping we get WR and DT help. Im worried about our line play if Justin has to take time off.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
OLB just became an afterthought during this draft. We just locked Ahmad Brooks up through 2017 - 6 years with a max value of $45 million.
Share 49ersWebzone