There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Doug Martin

Complete RB...runs well, catches well, blocks well, returns kicks. The guy can do it all...his combine showing didn't hurt his stock, whatsoever.
.................true, and your point is?
Trade up in the 2nd to grab him. Was a good 3-down RB for a top Boise State team. And everything he's done this offseason has validated that. Take him.

Gore, Hunter and Martin this season until we cut Gore loose next offseason.
[ Edited by okdkid on Feb 27, 2012 at 7:35 PM ]
I am more interested in a couple of the other Boise St. Prospects. Shea McClellin did very well today at OLB and their huge safety George Iloka hits the field tomorrow. Getting Martin will cost a lot and there are other backs like Robert Turbin that will be available later in the draft.
I think he would be the best Gore replacement for the future. He has great vision, finds the hole, and is gone. I love this kid!
I do like this kid and would think that if he is available with our 2nd round pick Baalke will have to think hard about taking him. I just think that with the RB talent that will be available next year, it will allow us to wait. If we are able to land a WR in FA and get a trade down to get two 2nd round picks, I would spend the our first pick (2nd round) on Fleener and then pick Martin. I would be fine with that. But, I think we would probably be better off getting a CB or OLB early, then WR later.

Basically, RB is a luxury pick for us. If we want to be competitive on offense next year, we need big bodies to catch passes. Between Gore, Hunter and (insert other RB here), I think our running game will get it done.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
I do like this kid and would think that if he is available with our 2nd round pick Baalke will have to think hard about taking him. I just think that with the RB talent that will be available next year, it will allow us to wait. If we are able to land a WR in FA and get a trade down to get two 2nd round picks, I would spend the our first pick (2nd round) on Fleener and then pick Martin. I would be fine with that. But, I think we would probably be better off getting a CB or OLB early, then WR later.

Basically, RB is a luxury pick for us. If we want to be competitive on offense next year, we need big bodies to catch passes. Between Gore, Hunter and (insert other RB here), I think our running game will get it done.

I respectfully disagree. We should be taking a RB (particularly a 3-down back) whenever the value presents itself. Gore is not long for this team, and he may not make it through the season. His injury history and advancing age are worrisome. We have absolutely nothing behind him when it comes to 1st down, 2nd down and goal line.

Even if next year's RB class is expected to be great, it doesn't matter. All that means is that we will absolutely have to take (or acquire) a RB early. Why intentionally paint ourselves into a corner?

Outside WR we don't have any "needs", just a bunch of "it would be nice to have...". Should a potential 3-down RB, like Martin, be available in a pick of value...then we should take him.

Round 2 sounds about right for Martin. I wouldn't mind at all moving up to snag him.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:

I respectfully disagree. We should be taking a RB (particularly a 3-down back) whenever the value presents itself. Gore is not long for this team, and he may not make it through the season. His injury history and advancing age are worrisome. We have absolutely nothing behind him when it comes to 1st down, 2nd down and goal line.

Even if next year's RB class is expected to be great, it doesn't matter. All that means is that we will absolutely have to take (or acquire) a RB early. Why intentionally paint ourselves into a corner?

Outside WR we don't have any "needs", just a bunch of "it would be nice to have...". Should a potential 3-down RB, like Martin, be available in a pick of value...then we should take him.

Round 2 sounds about right for Martin. I wouldn't mind at all moving up to snag him.

What would you trade to get him in the second? How far up in the round will the Niners have to go to get him?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
What would you trade to get him in the second? How far up in the round will the Niners have to go to get him?

A 4th, most likely. Of course it depends on how high the team wants to move up. My guess is somewhere mid-2nd round would be appropriate if they really wanted him. No need to take chances (with any player) if they really like his potential.

Who knows where he'll end up going. But 2nd round for an all-purpose back, who has done well against BCS competition, that most people have rated as the #4 overall RB in the draft seems about right.
[ Edited by okdkid on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM ]
i would definitely love the muscle hamster in a niner's uniform. He a big back who is very elusive and with the guidance of frank gore, he could be an elite RB. i know RB isnt our biggest need but our offense scheme depends so much on the run and if gore gets injured or if his production falls like the end of this past season, our offense will be doomed.
they extended gore before last season, so i dont see rb being a high pick in draft