• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Elivis from Montana state?
Memphis
[ Edited by ChazBoner on Feb 28, 2012 at 9:22 PM ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Larry Fitzgerald...hes pretty good right? Not to mention victor cruz's 40 isaint exactly setting the world on fire. If you want me to be 100% honest, I dont even look at 40 times, i could care less. When i put on tape i either see speed or i dont. 40 time is so overrated its comical.

Right. I'm the unreasonable one.

You guys are comparing Kendall Wright to Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald and completely ignoring 40 times. Only WRs playing in the NFL now with over 4.6 40s and are succesful are both 220+ lbs (Fitz and Boldin). Kendall is THIRTY lbs lighter.

And Victor Cruz is still a full point faster then Kendall Wright! If a WR doesn't have a great 40, to make it in the NFL they have to at least have great size. Look at all the names I posted....I'm not making s**t up. You guys are the ones ranking a guy very high based on him being the exception to what works in the NFL.
No, we are basing our ranking based on his speed when we look at the tape. I watch tape of wright and see all the speed and seperation I need to see. I dont need to have a glorified sprint to prove to me the guy has football speed.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Memphis

No elvis Akpla from Montana State.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Memphis

No elvis Akpla from Montana State.
oooooooooooh, THAT elvis. Yea, montana state
Right. I'm the unreasonable one.

You guys are comparing Kendall Wright to Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald and completely ignoring 40 times. Only WRs playing in the NFL now with over 4.6 40s and are succesful are both 220+ lbs (Fitz and Boldin). Kendall is THIRTY lbs lighter.

And Victor Cruz is still a full point faster then Kendall Wright! If a WR doesn't have a great 40, to make it in the NFL they have to at least have great size. Look at all the names I posted....I'm not making s**t up. You guys are the ones ranking a guy very high based on him being the exception to what works in the NFL.
first of all whos comparing you asked what good WR had a 4,6 and up

second look at the damn film ask any analist not one person says he slow even after the combine

he never gets caught from behind

and you want to talk about numbers?
he led the nation in yards by reciever

most of those were deep throws

he never got caught from behnd

uses speed to gain seperation

how are those qualities of a 4.6 runner

look at all the scouting reports i got of kendall wright all say he has elite speed and and the production to prove it

you put more emphasis on combine than college production

you wouldve passed on peyton manning for ryan leaf
you wouldve passed on lary fitz for roy williams
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Feb 28, 2012 at 9:36 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
1. Justin Blackmon------- Most dominant receiver in the draft, I'm pretty sure we can all agree on this.
2. Kendall Wright ---- Forget his 40 this boy can play.
3. Michael Floyd ----- Explosive.
4. Stephen Hill ------ 4.36 40, 800 yards from only 28 receptions!!!!! Imagine if he was in a more balanced offense.
5. Alshon Jeffery ----- Hard to cover one on one.
6. Reuben Randle
7. Tommy Streeter
8. Mohamed Sanu
9. Nick Toon
10. Marvin McNutt
---------------------------------------------------
11. Marvin Jones
12. Brian Quick
SDN you're my boy and all, but I can't back you up on this one. I get it that he had a disappointing 40, but he has plenty of tape to back up his speed ON THE FIELD VS COMPETITION. Even if you wanted to knock him, you're putting him down in the 3rd round level, that's pretty much saying the guy's gonna bust when you compare your ranking to the average ranking he currently has. He KILLED the rest of the drills. IMO you're putting too much weight on his 40, it matters, but not as much as you're making it out to be.

Nevermind the fact that I expect him to run it again at this pro day and do better
Originally posted by vrabbit:
SDN you're my boy and all, but I can't back you up on this one. I get it that he had a disappointing 40, but he has plenty of tape to back up his speed ON THE FIELD VS COMPETITION. Even if you wanted to knock him, you're putting him down in the 3rd round level, that's pretty much saying the guy's gonna bust when you compare your ranking to the average ranking he currently has. He KILLED the rest of the drills. IMO you're putting too much weight on his 40, it matters, but not as much as you're making it out to be.

Nevermind the fact that I expect him to run it again at this pro day and do better

I think his very quick reciever that projects as a slot reciever because of his lack of straight line speed. He has great quickiness, agility, and change of direction. I put him as a 3rd rounder. You typically don't see slot recievers going in the 1st or 2nd.

I've laid out my case, I listed every WR that had good year. Why do you guys dismiss that so much? I'm being objective about it, and objectively speaking the only WRs that ran a similar 40 time were in the 220lbs range and are big physical WRs. How can you guys just completely ignore that?

Finally, for all you guys saying b******t that I haven't watched the guy (I have), how many of you have watched T.Y. Hilton or Chris Givens?

Chris Givens is just as quick and athletic as Kendall and can match Kendall in any department plus he has better straight line speed. You put Chris Givens with RG3, and he would have put up even better numbers in college.

IMO, you guys are putting Kendall Wright above Chris Givens because Wright had way more hype entering the draft with all the attention on RG3 and Givens is a junior who was a relative unknown unless you follow the ACC.

I feel pretty confident my top 5 will go before Wright. Now maybe Wright is the 6th WR off the board, but I don't think dropping him from 6th to 9th is some major deal. I put Streeter above him because of Streeter's potential. AJ Jenkins biggest flaw is he played in Illinois offense, please tell me Kendall Wright lovers whats wrong with AJ Jenkins' game?

Marvin Jones is probably a reach to put over Kendall Wright, but since the end of the season Marvin Jones has put on the most impressive show out of any WR. He has looked excellent as a route runner, displayed great hands, had a terrific combine.
If Elvis can play like Hines - get him!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
1. Justin Blackmon------- Most dominant receiver in the draft, I'm pretty sure we can all agree on this.
2. Kendall Wright ---- Forget his 40 this boy can play.
3. Michael Floyd ----- Explosive.
4. Stephen Hill ------ 4.36 40, 800 yards from only 28 receptions!!!!! Imagine if he was in a more balanced offense.
5. Alshon Jeffery ----- Hard to cover one on one.
6. Reuben Randle
7. Tommy Streeter
8. Mohamed Sanu
9. Nick Toon
10. Marvin McNutt
---------------------------------------------------
11. Marvin Jones
12. Brian Quick
i think its very real to draft tight end fleener and pick up marvin in the third

I think his very quick reciever that projects as a slot reciever because of his lack of straight line speed. He has great quickiness, agility, and change of direction. I put him as a 3rd rounder. You typically don't see slot recievers going in the 1st or 2nd.

I've laid out my case, I listed every WR that had good year. Why do you guys dismiss that so much? I'm being objective about it, and objectively speaking the only WRs that ran a similar 40 time were in the 220lbs range and are big physical WRs. How can you guys just completely ignore that?

Finally, for all you guys saying b******t that I haven't watched the guy (I have), how many of you have watched T.Y. Hilton or Chris Givens?

Chris Givens is just as quick and athletic as Kendall and can match Kendall in any department plus he has better straight line speed. You put Chris Givens with RG3, and he would have put up even better numbers in college.

IMO, you guys are putting Kendall Wright above Chris Givens because Wright had way more hype entering the draft with all the attention on RG3 and Givens is a junior who was a relative unknown unless you follow the ACC.

I feel pretty confident my top 5 will go before Wright. Now maybe Wright is the 6th WR off the board, but I don't think dropping him from 6th to 9th is some major deal. I put Streeter above him because of Streeter's potential. AJ Jenkins biggest flaw is he played in Illinois offense, please tell me Kendall Wright lovers whats wrong with AJ Jenkins' game?

Marvin Jones is probably a reach to put over Kendall Wright, but since the end of the season Marvin Jones has put on the most impressive show out of any WR. He has looked excellent as a route runner, displayed great hands, had a terrific combine.

that's just a sample

I can almost guarantee you that neither Randle nor Givens will go before Wright, you're getting too extreme with this argument

now if you want to argue who the better player will be down the road that's a more subjective topic, but you're on some serious stuff claiming Randle/Givens will be picked before Wright, Hill has a chance

that's just a sample

I can almost guarantee you that neither Randle nor Givens will go before Wright, you're getting too extreme with this argument

now if you want to argue who the better player will be down the road that's a more subjective topic, but you're on some serious stuff claiming Randle/Givens will be picked before Wright, Hill has a chance

1) Do you think Wright projects as a slot reciever or do you think he projects more than that? My position is Wright projects as a slot reciever, and if I'm taking a WR in the 1st or 2nd, I want a guy who can develop into the X or Z. I backed up my position by looking up past 40 times. I'm still waiting for someone to show me a 5'10 reciever that run a 4.6 and was great in the NFL. You guys are betting that he is the one lone exception in the NFL. Fine, but if I'm drafting, I'm drafting on what works in the NFL.

2) For what its worth, NFL.com rates Givens higher than Wright.

3) I'm not the only one high on Randle. Plenty of analysts are putting him in the 2nd round.
My updated WR grades
1. Justin Blackmon
2. Kendall Wright
3. Mohamed Sanu
4. Stephen Hill
5. Michael Floyd
6. AJ Jenkins
7. Marvin Jones
8. Jarius Wright
9. Brian Quick
10. Joe Adams

And, to be frank, I have an undrafted grade on Dwight Jones. I think he is so far gone at this point, that he has almost zero chance of making a roster. Biggest disappointment this offseason, and it may not be close.

that's just a sample

1) Do you think Wright projects as a slot reciever or do you think he projects more than that? My position is Wright projects as a slot reciever, and if I'm taking a WR in the 1st or 2nd, I want a guy who can develop into the X or Z. I backed up my position by looking up past 40 times. I'm still waiting for someone to show me a 5'10 reciever that run a 4.6 and was great in the NFL. You guys are betting that he is the one lone exception in the NFL. Fine, but if I'm drafting, I'm drafting on what works in the NFL.

2) For what its worth, NFL.com rates Givens higher than Wright.

3) I'm not the only one high on Randle. Plenty of analysts are putting him in the 2nd round.

well my whole argument is based on the 4.61 not being directly reflective on how fast he really is, so if you're hung on that number we'll have to agree to disagree. Again, killed every other workout at the combine, and has plenty of tape that shows him constantly making plays and several yards past safeties, I don't know how you discredit all of that. T.Y. Hilton has similar tape against much lesser competition, but you want to argue that he's nearly as good as Wright because you project he can run a better 40? I mean you have him as your 10th best WR after Wright at 9th.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

And, to be frank, I have an undrafted grade on Dwight Jones. I think he is so far gone at this point, that he has almost zero chance of making a roster. Biggest disappointment this offseason, and it may not be close.

Is this kinda like Kedric Burney or whatever his name was, i remember seeing his name as a first round pick in some mocks and next thing you know this dude doesnt even get drafted
[ Edited by valrod33 on Feb 29, 2012 at 11:20 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone