LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Melvin Ingram at 30?

Originally posted by 23zack80:
He's my favorite pass rusher in the draft with his combination of size, power, acceleration, and agility. I hope teams pass on him because of his height so the 49ers can pick him up. That seems unlikely, hopefully some guys like Nick Perry and Whitney Mercilus blow up the combine and move ahead of him.

Either one of those guys would be a great consolation prize IMO. No white elephants when you have guys like that on the board.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Much rather have Vinny Curry.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Not me.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Not me.

i think curry is the more pure pass rusher, but can he play in space as an olb? Ingram probably is a beyyer overall player and could play lb for niners as he did play some lb at south carolina
First off, I think Brooks will take money somewhere else. Reminds me of David Bass last year. Finally has a full year of healthy, good play and cashes in (on another team). Also, we will sign a second tier WR like Manningham, Garçon, or Royal along with Morgan.

30th Pick: 49ers Select Melvin Ingram, South Carolina 6'2" / 276 lb

We'll see how tomorrow goes, but right now Melvin Ingram would be first on my 'realistic' board. I would love to have him play along side Willis, Bowman, and Smith. He could essentially take Aldon's job of situation pass rusher as he gets familiar with the system playing behind Haralson. And with the production of the rest of our front seven, he should be playing against inferior players and favorable situations (double teams on J.Smith, A.Smith, Willis, you name it).

I think if we can finalize that piece of the front 7 then our secondary will continue to have stellar play, regardless of whose back there. It's no coincidence that Whitner, Goldson, and Rogers all had their best years. They haven't played with as good a front 7 as there was last year. I believe the falloff wouldn't be to much if we lost Goldson or Rogers.

By taking Ingram at 30 (or potentially moving up a few spots), we would then focus on WR on rounds 2-4.

Still, I believe the front 7 will pay more dividends then WR for the first pick.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
First off, I think Brooks will take money somewhere else. Reminds me of David Bass last year. Finally has a full year of healthy, good play and cashes in (on another team). Also, we will sign a second tier WR like Manningham, Garçon, or Royal along with Morgan.

We'll see how tomorrow goes, but right now Melvin Ingram would be first on my 'realistic' board. I would love to have him play along side Willis, Bowman, and Smith. He could essentially take Aldon's job of situation pass rusher as he gets familiar with the system playing behind Haralson. And with the production of the rest of our front seven, he should be playing against inferior players and favorable situations (double teams on J.Smith, A.Smith, Willis, you name it).

I think if we can finalize that piece of the front 7 then our secondary will continue to have stellar play, regardless of whose back there. It's no coincidence that Whitner, Goldson, and Rogers all had their best years. They haven't played with as good a front 7 as there was last year. I believe the falloff wouldn't be to much if we lost Goldson or Rogers.

By taking Ingram at 30 (or potentially moving up a few spots), we would then focus on WR on rounds 2-4.

Still, I believe the front 7 will pay more dividends then WR for the first pick.

NinerBuff, I totally agree with you on this.

We are making a Super Bowl run (sounds amazing) and we are very close. A rookie WR does very little for us next season, but a guy like Ingram would step in immediately as a situational pass rusher like Aldon Smith did this season. He is also the right size to play OLB and he will be an replacement for Brooks.

I also agree that a WR like Manningham and Garcon makes sense for us. Although we lack an explosive threat, we need consistency at the WR position. Morgan, Manningham/Garcon, Crabtree are sufficient to get the job done right now. The loss of Morgan and a non-existent Braylon Edwards hurt us a lot last year. Players like Manningham/Garcon may not be all-pro, but they are consistent and good enough to for the offense to work.

We can search for the home run threat later in the draft, or maybe even in FA. Ideally we can pick up another CB somewhere in the draft.
Originally posted by calbear:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

NinerBuff, I totally agree with you on this.

We are making a Super Bowl run (sounds amazing) and we are very close. A rookie WR does very little for us next season, but a guy like Ingram would step in immediately as a situational pass rusher like Aldon Smith did this season. He is also the right size to play OLB and he will be an replacement for Brooks.

I also agree that a WR like Manningham and Garcon makes sense for us. Although we lack an explosive threat, we need consistency at the WR position. Morgan, Manningham/Garcon, Crabtree are sufficient to get the job done right now. The loss of Morgan and a non-existent Braylon Edwards hurt us a lot last year. Players like Manningham/Garcon may not be all-pro, but they are consistent and good enough to for the offense to work.

We can search for the home run threat later in the draft, or maybe even in FA. Ideally we can pick up another CB somewhere in the draft.

Thanks
So let's say we go OLB at 30.... Who does everyone like assuming all would be available?

Nick Perry
Vinny Curry
Melvin Ingram
Andre Branch
Whitney Mercilus
The rush LBs like best at the bottom of the first would be Ingram, Perry, and Mercilus. I don't view the rest as 1st rounders. Cam Johnson is a guy I'd love to see fall to our 2nd rounder. I like Bequette and Massaquoi in the 3rd/4th... I like Jacquies Smith and Julian Miller in the 5th.

I still would prefer to add an offensive weapon in the 1st/2nd, but point taken, if we can sign a good vet FA wideout.
I think NE or GB takes Ingram if he is still there at the bottom of the first (if NE doesn't trade the pick). Their need on defense is insane, and pass rush is on top of the list.

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
So let's say we go OLB at 30.... Who does everyone like assuming all would be available?

Nick Perry
Vinny Curry
Melvin Ingram
Andre Branch
Whitney Mercilus

Curry ran an atrocious 40 so if I had to pick anyone it would be Curry and Branch

Perry will probably go in the top 15, I've read that the Jets really like Ingram at 15 or 16(wherever they pick), and Mercilus is the one guy competing with Curry right now and I think some team will bite on Mercilus' one year wonder status before they pick Curry.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 27, 2012 at 7:24 AM ]
beautiful footwork in coverage drill for such a big rush LB prospect... arrow up more on Ingram.
Just saw a clip of this guy at 49ers.com

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/49-in-49-LB-Melvin-Ingram/e051044d-3b24-4fe8-a346-b0a1d35f10f9

He was tops in some of the events at the combine. he can play different positions and that versatility is something the 49ers will go after, much like the last draft class. This dude looks awesome and hes confident in what he can do. I dont think he'll go pass high 20s.
This is an old thread. Won't be there at 30. Had a great combine
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 11, 2012 at 6:55 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
This is an old thread. Won't be there at 30. Had a great combine

May not even make it out of the top 10.........
Share 49ersWebzone