There are 40 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I got the need for Pead.....

At first I wanted a real bruiser back for this offense. But, after thinking about it a little more, I think a s**ty speedster would be a better complement. Harbaugh loves to tire out the defense using jumbo packages and create space for his RBs. Why then waste it on a slow ploding back? Why not have a guy that is hard to catch in open space? Imagin being a defender that has to go from hitting an enormous OT, then big boddied tightend, to catching a speedy and shifty back. I know we already have Hunter, but his running style is more like Gore than a little guy.

Isaiah Pead is projected to go in the fourth by most draft gurus, what do you think? I liked his highlight video.

2012 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:personIsaiah Pead, RB, Cincinnati Isaiah Pead is a highly-competitive, shifty running back with the Cincinnati Bearcats. Although he only has average size and bulk, he has good speed and flashes an elusive running style. Pead is averaging 6.2 yards per carry on 114 carries for 703 yards and eight TDs through seven games. He's also added 15 receptions for 106 yards and two TDs. Pead's best attributes are his versatility as both a runner and pass-catcher, in addition to his quickness. He can make the first man miss and quickly accelerate to daylight. Pead really shows multiple gears when taking off through open spaces. Although, a below average offensive line has made him exhibit choppy footwork when hitting the hole, and he needs to flow into running lanes more decisively. Cincinnati uses him in the slot and out of the backfield to catch passes on occasion. He shows good hands and has no problems getting upfield fast. Once in the NFL, he'll need to learn to drive his body with his hips and thighs. By bulking up his lower half, he'll be able to run through more arm tackles. His vision could be better, but that can be hindered by struggling blockers. Pead can be a solid contributor in the NFL. He projects as a fourth round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2884
Wonder if he can return punts? I'd be down with this pick because the Niners NEED team speed on offense. Remember two years ago when we got crushed by KC Chiefs? My jaw dropped at their team speed. Guys like this solve the problem.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
He looks more quick than fast. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. Short area burst, but seems to lack sustained break-away speed.

Yay for analyzing a prospect form a highlight video!
Originally posted by Wodwo:
He looks more quick than fast. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. Short area burst, but seems to lack sustained break-away speed.

You're giving me far too much credit. I'm just watching "highlight film" of various RBs. I do think the highlight film can tell you somethings. One thing that impressed me about this kid is that he created a lot of his own yards, with not a lot off good blocking. You see some of the "elite" RBs coming out of the draft and its clear they are benefiting from huge lanes. It looks like Pead has the speed, but there always seemed to be a lot of defenders around him so he couldn't go full throttle. Anyway, just passing the time.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Wodwo:

You're giving me far too much credit. I'm just watching "highlight film" of various RBs. I do think the highlight film can tell you somethings. One thing that impressed me about this kid is that he created a lot of his own yards, with not a lot off good blocking. You see some of the "elite" RBs coming out of the draft and its clear they are benefiting from huge lanes. It looks like Pead has the speed, but there always seemed to be a lot of defenders around him so he couldn't go full throttle. Anyway, just passing the time.

Hehe... sorry for the confusion, Bro. I was talking about myself analyzing him.

I agree with your assessment, though. He seemed to either have blockers cut off his lanes or just ran the wrong way, either way it seemed to slow him down. Might not even be a speed issue then. We'll see what he runs at the combine. I expect he'll have good numbers in the agility drills. He did make a lot of quick cut-backs that went for good yardage.
A haaaaaa. Itime to buzz the tower goose.
This draft is what I would call a target rich environment. If the Niners decide to get a 3rd RB to compete with Dixon, Pead would definitely be a consideration. He also showed that he could return kicks at the Senior Bowl. Nice idea in the 4th round or later.
fwiw one of the beat writers talked about potential challengers to dixon and said niners would be looking for a220 lb 1 cut north south runner--which is not mr pead
Originally posted by hofer36:
fwiw one of the beat writers talked about potential challengers to dixon and said niners would be looking for a220 lb 1 cut north south runner--which is not mr pead

Unless Trent Baalke was that beat writer, it doesn't mean much.

Peads a beast and I guarentee we'll at least check him out.
If Ginn doesnt come back, there is room for a scat back who can pr/kr and a bruiser to compete with Dix.
Originally posted by 5280High:
If Ginn doesnt come back, there is room for a scat back who can pr/kr and a bruiser to compete with Dix.

I really dont want to waste roster space on Ginn. This dude returned 2 TDs in kick return at the SR.Bowl. Get this kid and get rid of Ginn.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

I really dont want to waste roster space on Ginn. This dude returned 2 TDs in kick return at the SR.Bowl. Get this kid and get rid of Ginn.

but ginn took 2 returns back for TDs against the seahawks o: lmao

for serious though if Pead was the RB we took I'd be happy.
Originally posted by sfout:

but ginn took 2 returns back for TDs against the seahawks o: lmao

for serious though if Pead was the RB we took I'd be happy.
He looked very smooth catching balls today. He is fast and good in space and could probably be had with our 3rd round pick. However, I dont know if he's a Harbaugh kind of RB or if he fits our scheme.

I just dont see Ginn as a legit WR.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM ]