LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 412 users in the forums

The Official Tyrann Mathieu Bandwagon Thread (2013 Draft)

This guy is one of the best football players he almost won Thue heism
He wasnt doing so hot in the National Championship game if I recall.
Tyrann Mathieu is the most OVERRATED player in the country. I'm not saying he sucks, but as a corner back, he has very "average" coverage skills. This article proves my point! Anybody can blitz the QB unblocked and knock the ball out of his hands. But can you cover? He really got exposed in the Bama game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1177344-2013-nfl-draft-is-lsu-cb-tyrann-mathieu-really-a-top-pro-prospect
[ Edited by fabolousnine on May 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM ]
Originally posted by fabolousnine:
Tyrann Mathieu is the most OVERRATED player in the country. I'm not saying he sucks, but as a corner back, he has very "average" coverage skills. This article proves my point! Anybody can blitz the QB unblocked and knock the ball out of his hands. But can you cover? He really got exposed in the Bama game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1177344-2013-nfl-draft-is-lsu-cb-tyrann-mathieu-really-a-top-pro-prospect

Like most people already know with the passing game being a big essential part of the NFL I have no problem with him lined up with the short speedy slot WR in the nickle. He would be a hell of a special team player as well. Imagine him and Aldon blitzing in a Nickle 2-4-5 coverage on big passing teams like New England, New Orleans, or Indianapolis. He had one bad game last year and im not going to bank his season off that one game. No he is not the best corner prospect in NCAA but he is the most determined. He is a defensive play maker that causes havoc on the field. If he does the same thing he did last year he is a 1st round prospect.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by rafachivas12:
5'9" hell no hes just too short

I think he'll probably measure a little shorter, remember college likes to bump players heights an inch or two, at worst he could measure in at 5'7" 1/2.
Mathieu is a good player, but he is a bit over hyped to me. I think he gets so much love from the media because he's an SEC defensive player. Once you look at his tape and his measurable, it's not clear if he would be more effective at corner or safety. When your being drafted in the top 10 you have to be a sure shot at a certain position. Mathieu is a bit of a project and with his compact frame and aggressive playing style I'm sure it will have him being drafted somewhere between 15-25. I see him being a Bob Sanders type of player, he will 3-5 glory years with not many injuries and after that it will be pure hell with injury concerns.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I think he'll probably measure a little shorter, remember college likes to bump players heights an inch or two, at worst he could measure in at 5'7" 1/2.

Yep. His size is a big concern.

And I agree with people over-hyping him. I like him as a player, but I think people are getting too excited about him.
i remember the kid getting toasted in the national championship game. He'd have to be Dieon Sanders to draft top 5 .
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Yep. His size is a big concern.

And I agree with people over-hyping him. I like him as a player, but I think people are getting too excited about him.

well maybe all those concerns can make him drop to us. I guess we just have to wait n see how he does this season. IMO the kid is a special talent
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Anyone wanna jump on this guys bandwagon, reminds me of Carlos Rogers.

i dont care at this point if his position is not a need for us...i want this kid on our team. It seems like now he will drop to the late 1st-early 2nd and he could drop even further due to his size.

I know he is small but damn that guy can hit. Hes 5'9 but he plays like he is 6'2. His timing is one of the best ive ever seen and the power he packs into every hit knocks people stupid.

im not going to act like i know everything about football so can a very knowledgeable person tell me if theres is no way his talents will transit to the pros? if he cant be a outside CB, can he play the slot? is he tall enough for a safety position? do you envision him changing positions to the other side of the ball?

total man crush on this guy. no homo
I see Mathieu as an unpolished Cortland Finnegan
Anyone wanna jump on this guys bandwagon, reminds me of Carlos Rogers.

not bad

but unless a cant misss prospect drops to us i dont see us going CB next year early

we have young talent in culliver (definite future starter maybe even #1) from what we saw in rookie year) brown who is relativly young cox also young (if he stays off field another great talent for us)

carlos has at least 2 good years left
Do Not Want
Meaux.......
Share 49ersWebzone