There are 200 users in the forums

The Official Tyrann Mathieu Bandwagon Thread (2013 Draft)

Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by natrone06:
http://arizonasports.com/?nid=40&sid=1653516

So far sounds like he's tearing it up.

Well yeah, he's practicing against his cardinal teammates. Anyone would look good then

As an Arizona resident for quite some time, the first thing I would encourage you to do is take with a heavy grain of salt any positive news or hype you hear coming from the local sports media, these people are so deluded, so full of s**t and unbelievably detached from reality that they find ways to hype pretty much anything. I remember a piece in the Republic last year discussing the similarities that John Skelton had with Dan Marino.

No matter how well or poorly someone might be doing, the local sports media will hype it up to make them sound 10x better than they actually are.

The Cardinals fans I run into regularly are now fully expecting Carson Palmer to wind the clock back about 8 years and to lead them to a 10 or 11 win season and an NFC West title, claiming that both Seattle and San Francisco are due for setbacks.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

As an Arizona resident for quite some time, the first thing I would encourage you to do is take with a heavy grain of salt any positive news or hype you hear coming from the local sports media, these people are so deluded, so full of s**t and unbelievably detached from reality that they find ways to hype pretty much anything. I remember a piece in the Republic last year discussing the similarities that John Skelton had with Dan Marino.

No matter how well or poorly someone might be doing, the local sports media will hype it up to make them sound 10x better than they actually are.

The Cardinals fans I run into regularly are now fully expecting Carson Palmer to wind the clock back about 8 years and to lead them to a 10 or 11 win season and an NFC West title, claiming that both Seattle and San Francisco are due for setbacks.

LOL. I don't know much about the local media there, but i was thinking this when i read the article. It was SO over the top in it's praise, that it just seemed a bit much. Sounds like they already have his bust ready in Canton.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Yeah I remember that when I lived there. The local sports crowd in PHX is awful
I lived in Mesa from 08-11 and couldn't listen to any local sports radio while I was there. Just awful awful, and delusional doesn't seem strong enough by 10
From all reports, the kid looks like a stud so far. Count me on the wrong side of this one if the trend continues. I think I had him pegged at as fourth round value, due to special team skills. Of course, there is always the chance that he falls off the wagon. That is the risk with the Honey Badger.
I liked him in the draft for the 49ers but not as early as he was taken, and Fangio doesn't like the mighty mice.
i was hoping we'd take him in the 2nd..
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

I know you were, I remember talking about him with you. I for one am glad the 9ers stayed away from him. Can't wait for the 9ers to play the Cards and torch their secondary. I remember when Crabtree owned Patrick Peterson who I thought was gonna shut receivers down from day one and Cards fans thought they had the next Deion Sanders lol. Honey Badger, there's only so much 5'9" can do for you, and keep throwing your body into tackles that small sooner or later you'll catch a case of Bob Sanders.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

I know you were, I remember talking about him with you. I for one am glad the 9ers stayed away from him. Can't wait for the 9ers to play the Cards and torch their secondary. I remember when Crabtree owned Patrick Peterson who I thought was gonna shut receivers down from day one and Cards fans thought they had the next Deion Sanders lol. Honey Badger, there's only so much 5'9" can do for you, and keep throwing your body into tackles that small sooner or later you'll catch a case of Bob Sanders.

what's funny is that a lot of NFL analysts were calling Peterson the best corner last season, considering Revis was hurt. It reminded me of how bad Crabs owned him in all the matchups.

There's something about Mathieu that makes me think he'll be a new breed of player for the defensive secondary. for someone that small to be that aggressive and efficient, it's special. the chance of injury is still there, but i think he'll provide a big impact.

I wanted him as a slot corner and as a special teamer, but only if he fell to the 5th round or lower. That didn't happen. I think he will become a decent player, but we should still be able to handle the Cardinals.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I wanted him as a slot corner and as a special teamer, but only if he fell to the 5th round or lower. That didn't happen. I think he will become a decent player, but we should still be able to handle the Cardinals.

That's really where he only intrigued me. I thought he could be a heck of a slot corner.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

That's really where he only intrigued me. I thought he could be a heck of a slot corner.

No that's Carlos Rogers spot.

(still don't know why Fangio keeps putting Rogers there, would rather see Brown in the slot)
They were already going nuts over his preseason performance and he solidified it with another great game.

If he stays off drugs, could be defensive rookie of the year
Share 49ersWebzone