There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Pre-Combine Big 100 Board

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by dhp318:
He's listed at 5'10"... dunno if that's legit, but if so, that's plenty tall enough. I'd say more successful CBs are under 6 ft than over. Revis, Joseph, our own Tarrell Brown, Brent Grimes, Cortland Finnegan, dunta robinson, Asante Samuel, you get the idea.

He came in at 5'9 1/4" at the Senior Bowl. To me, that is also a concern in a league full of tall WR. At the same time, he is a terrific player. Very torn on the issue. In a perfect world, I would rather see a talented 6' guy than a guy barely over 5'9" but they are rare. That is why guys like Minnifield, Norman, Gilmore carry so much more demand on draft day.

you think 1 of em makes it to 62?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

No, unless one of them runs a 4.55 plus! And that might still be not enough of a deterrent.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 23, 2012 at 12:03 PM ]

No, unless one of them runs a 4.55 plus! And that might still be not enough of a deterrent.

Damn. Which corners you think will be there at our 2nd round pick?

Trumaine Johnson, Casey Heyward, Jayron Hosley, Ryan Steed, Josh Robinson, and a number of other sub 6' guys. The Niners are in a tough spot if they cannot retain Rogers and unable to pick up a solid corner in free agency. They might be forced to use their first rounder

Trumaine Johnson, Casey Heyward, Jayron Hosley, Ryan Steed, Josh Robinson, and a number of other sub 6' guys. The Niners are in a tough spot if they cannot retain Rogers and unable to pick up a solid corner in free agency. They might be forced to use their first rounder

Yeah, I want to keep Rogers and draft a corner though. I like Johnson, Heyward, and Hosley though.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Maybe although I doubt that Glenn will be. DeCastro certainly might. However, a left tackle is so much more important than an interior lineman that I wouldnt take any of the guys you named ahead of Kalil.

Normally I would agree with you. I simply think DeCastro, Konz and Glenn are exceptional players.

Having watched Snyder and even Goodwin at times struggle to maintain the front of the pocket against a strong pass rush, I agree that in this case, an interior lineman is a higher need than OT. Just because Snyder played better than the abominable Rachal doesn't mean he is any better than a journeyman. He isn't. His greatest value is his versatility, not his overall level of play. Though I believe the greatest need is for WR, I would be delighted if Glenn dropped to the 49ers. In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised if they moved up a few spots to get him.
Originally posted by dj43:
Maybe although I doubt that Glenn will be. DeCastro certainly might. However, a left tackle is so much more important than an interior lineman that I wouldnt take any of the guys you named ahead of Kalil.

Normally I would agree with you. I simply think DeCastro, Konz and Glenn are exceptional players.

Having watched Snyder and even Goodwin at times struggle to maintain the front of the pocket against a strong pass rush, I agree that in this case, an interior lineman is a higher need than OT. Just because Snyder played better than the abominable Rachal doesn't mean he is any better than a journeyman. He isn't. His greatest value is his versatility, not his overall level of play. Though I believe the greatest need is for WR, I would be delighted if Glenn dropped to the 49ers. In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised if they moved up a few spots to get him.

I think that as in all drafts, some quality drops to the bottom. So if someone came near enough to trade up for Baalke would go and get him. IF not I could see Baalke trade back and get a couple of the middle of the pack quality players.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

I think that as in all drafts, some quality drops to the bottom. So if someone came near enough to trade up for Baalke would go and get him. IF not I could see Baalke trade back and get a couple of the middle of the pack quality players.

One board I saw had Konz going 45. I KNOW that won't happen but if he dropped to 30 he would be hard to pass up.
wow you don't think LaMichael James will go in the top 100?

gime that dude in the 3rd or 4th round then.

This wasnt about the Niners and there needs. This was about who Maddog thought should be the higher rated players. I disagree with him because I think Kalil is a superior FB player to everyone with the possible exception of DeCastro and that OT is for MOST teams a much more valuable position to fill.

This wasnt about the Niners and there needs. This was about who Maddog thought should be the higher rated players. I disagree with him because I think Kalil is a superior FB player to everyone with the possible exception of DeCastro and that OT is for MOST teams a much more valuable position to fill.

I agree that OT is a higher value position but for the 49ers need a guard, not an OT. #30 is not an unusually high pick for a C/G. Nick Mangold was a 30 and has been worth the pick.

I agree that OT is a higher value position but for the 49ers need a guard, not an OT. #30 is not an unusually high pick for a C/G. Nick Mangold was a 30 and has been worth the pick.

i dont think John and Maddog's discussion has anything to do with the 49ers man....

just a discussion on overall player ranking.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Glenn has shown enough athletic ability to be considered as a OT, not a guard.

In fact, at the combine, he is grouped with the OT.

GLENN, CORDY OL18 OT GEORGIA 6'5 345 35 3/4 arms and 10 1/8" hands.

There is no way that he falls to the end of the first round.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran

Trumaine Johnson is well over 6-0. I think he is close to 6-4. He should be the tallest corner in this draft.
Originally posted by buck:

Glenn has shown enough athletic ability to be considered as a OT, not a guard.

In fact, at the combine, he is grouped with the OT.

GLENN, CORDY OL18 OT GEORGIA 6'5 345 35 3/4 arms and 10 1/8" hands.

There is no way that he falls to the end of the first round.

I think Glenn is a fine player and would love to have him on the Niners. He just isnt in Kalil's class in my humble opinion.