There are 225 users in the forums

MadDog's Pre-Combine Big 100 Board

Hope all of you are geeked up for the combine. Should be a great show, and there is a possibility I might be attending the QB/WR throwing session and WR 40 time drills. We'll see how it plays out.

I am posting my first board for the year, which will soon be tossed like yesterday's newspaper once the combine is complete. It should, however, give an idea of where I believe players will fall after the combine is complete.

This is NOT a ranking of players. I would not have Michael Floyd ranked #20 on my best players available board. And, I would certainly have Bobby Wagner graded much, much higher than 53. Nor is this a mock draft, since trades destroy mocks, and make the effort futile. This is a judgment on where I believe the players will be selected, regardless of the team involved in the pick. For the vets, sorry to be redundant with this message, but there are people who get lathered up without understanding the nature of this post.

Of course, there will be controversy, and maybe a feeling like your favorite player was jilted by not being on the board. That is OK. Simply provide your opinion why you think the projection is incorrect. I gladly take all questions about individual players, why I have them projected much higher or lower than many paid experts (you will notice that Alshon Jeffery is slowly disappearing to the bottom of the second round, which Michael Brockers is screaming toward the top).

Enjoy, and let the games begin. If you see some strange combination of name/position/school, please let me know as I sometimes blow my Excel spreadsheet. The same goes for spelling. I think I finally have the Dont'a, DaJohn, Ta'Amu, Osemele's under control.

2012 NFL Draft 100 Big Board
Pick Player School Position
1 Andrew Luck Stanford QB
2 Robert Griffin Baylor QB
3 Matt Kalil USC OT
4 Justin Blackmon Oklahoma State WR
5 Morris Claiborne LSU CB
6 Quinton Coples North Carolina DE/DT
7 Michael Brockers LSU DT
8 Trent Richardson Alabama RB
9 Riley Reiff Iowa OT
10 Jonathan Martin Stanford OT
11 Courtney Upshaw Alabama DE/OLB
12 David DeCastro Stanford G
13 Dre Kirkpatrick Alabama CB
14 Kendall Wright Baylor WR
15 Cordy Glenn Georgia OT/OG
16 Mike Adams Ohio State OT
17 Janoris Jenkins North Alabama CB
18 Devon Still Penn State DT
19 Luke Kuechly Boston College LB
20 Michael Floyd Notre Dame WR
21 Melvin Ingram South Carolina DE/OLB
22 Peter Konz Wisconsin C
23 Jerel Worthy Michigan St DT
24 Andre Branch Clemson DE/OLB
25 Zach Brown North Carolina LB
26 Mohamad Sanu Rutgers WR
27 Brandon Thompson Clemson DT
28 Nick Perry USC DE/OLB
29 Lamar Miller Miami RB
30 Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M QB
31 Stephon Gilmore South Carolina CB
32 Coby Fleener Stanford TE
33 David Wilson Virginia Tech RB
34 Dontari Poe Memphis DT
35 Reuben Randle LSU WR
36 Dont'a Hightower Alabama LB
37 Dwayne Allen Clemson TE
38 Fletcher Cox Mississippi St DT
39 Alfonso Dennard Nebraska CB
40 Mark Barron Alabama S
41 Chase Minnifield Virginia CB
42 Whitney Mercilus Illinois DE/OLB
43 Kelechi Osemele Iowa St G
44 Markelle Martin Oklahoma State S
45 Orson Charles Georgia TE
46 Jared Crick Nebraska DT
47 Brandon Washington Miami G
48 Doug Martin Boise St RB
49 Lavonte David Nebraska LB
50 Brandon Boykin Georgia CB
51 Alameda Ta'Amu Washington DT
52 Joe Adams Arkansas WR
53 Bobby Wagner Utah St LB
54 Chandler Jones Syracuse DE
55 Vinny Curry Marshall DE/OLB
56 Alshon Jeffery South Carolina WR
57 Kendall Reyes Connecticut DT
58 Mitchell Schwartz Cal OT
59 Cam Johnson Virginia DE/OLB
60 Josh Norman Central Florida CB
61 Leonard Johnson Iowa St CB
62 Bruce Irvin West Virginia DE/OLB
63 Vontaze Burfict Arizona St LB
64 Brandon Weeden Oklahoma StateQB
65 Brandon Brooks Ohio G
66 George Iloka Boise St S
67 Stephen Hill Georgia Tech WR
68 Ronnell Lewis Oklahoma LB
69 Zebrie Sanders Florida State OT
70 DaJohn Harris USC DT
71 Brock Osweiler Arizona St QB
72 Kevin Zeitler Wisconsin G
73 Ben Jones Georgia C
74 Antonio Allen South Carolina S
75 Travis Lewis Oklahoma LB
76 Bobbie Massey Mississippi OT
77 Brian Quick Appalachian St WR
78 Jarius Wright Arkansas WR
79 Amini Silatolu Midwestern St G
80 Sean Spence Miami LB
81 Harrison Smith Notre Dame S
82 Shaun Prater Iowa CB
83 Marcus Forston Miami DT
84 Jayron Housley Virginia Tech CB
85 Jonathan Massaquoi Troy LB
86 TJ Graham NC State WR
87 Mike Martin Michigan DT
88 Juron Criner Arizona WR
89 Ryan Steed Furman CB
90 Tommy Streeter Miami WR
91 Isaiah Pead Cincinnati RB
92 Chris Rainey Florida RB
93 Jeff Allen Illinois G/OT
94 Trumaine Johnson Montana CB
95 Nick Toon Wisconsin WR
96 Ladarius Green Louisiana-Lafayette TE
97 Marvin Jones California WR
98 T.Y. Hilton Florida International WR
99 Shea McClellin Boise St LB
100 Tony Bergstrom Utah G/T
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM ]
i hope we traded up to 20

or traded down

btw if alshon shows up at 220 like reports say where do you see him going? certainly not at 57 right?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i hope we traded up to 20

or traded down

btw if alshon shows up at 220 like reports say where do you see him going? certainly not at 57 right?

I think the team is in a spectacular trade down position if Tannehill is still on the board at 30. Some team every year makes that leap forward into the bottom of the first round to outmanuever other teams for a second tier QB.

As for Jeffery, I have a hard time believing he will arrive at 249 pounds, and run a mid 4.8 as some have stated he is at right now. I expect him to be 235 pounds and run in the high 4.6's. Could it be that Camp Jeffery is sending out this bogus info so that when he looks a bit sloppy and performs poorly, people will say, "Hey, he was ONLY 235 pounds, and did better than expected in the forty."

To me, I think Jeffery is a guy with a ton of question marks, I just don't see him as a first rounder. I haven't since middle of this last season. Great height, but no ability to separate, slow off the line, and just Jeffery and that is why they will be going different directions when the draft happens.

BTW, I think Sanu is a big time target for the Niners at 30. He is everything they want from a WR: great hands, committed, versatile, and most underrated... but key...a great downfield blocker. I can't see him slipping past 30, unless he runs a 4.6 or higher. He is Dwayne Bowe 2.0, minus the attitude.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 20, 2012 at 8:33 AM ]
Maddog, you've been one of if not the top draft poster on here, and like everyear your big board will be used the most by all the users. To me it is very similar to every big board I've seen out there. Not alot of bold predictions, very ho hum from what you've been recognized for in the past. Not trying to make the response personal, and if that's the way you've got the guys stacked than it is what it is. Good effort as usual.
Originally posted by D-Money:
Maddog, you've been one of if not the top draft poster on here, and like everyear your big board will be used the most by all the users. To me it is very similar to every big board I've seen out there. Not alot of bold predictions, very ho hum from what you've been recognized for in the past. Not trying to make the response personal, and if that's the way you've got the guys stacked than it is what it is. Good effort as usual.

precombine will always have the same big board universal

combine will change every1s big board
Originally posted by D-Money:

Thanks for the compliment. There are some similarities, but I think you will also see some differences. To note: I project Brockers at 7, which is about the peak. I also have Jeffery in the 50's, which I have not seen at all. I also have some of the midget burners much higher than most, including both Arkansas WR's, Adams and Wright. At the same time, I have Trumaine Johnson a late third rounder, and I even hedge on that one. I see a ton of teams taking him off their boards.

I think Brandon Brooks and Josh Norman will surprise on how early they go, and also that I do not post Chris Givens in the top 100. Meanwhile, I have TJ Graham posted as a 3rd rounder, while most publications have him listed as a 5-6th rounder.

Finally, I see Bruce Irvin as a substantial riser after the combine and workouts, and when people think WV was crazy to have him play the 3-4 DE position. So, while there are some similarities, I think there are also some differences.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM ]
Looks pretty good.

Juron Criner = Arizona (not AZ State) and I suspect he will go a bit earlier.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Looks pretty good.

Juron Criner = Arizona (not AZ State) and I suspect he will go a bit earlier.
First duh moment for me erased. Thanks for the note on Criner.

He looked great at the Senior Bowl, there is no doubt. I just see a pretty mediocre forty time coming up, which pushes him down the board a bit. In my personal grading, i have him better than a lot of the other WR's who will be drafted before.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Good to have the big board back, Mad. It looks good but I think Randall and Sanu could be switched.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Thanks for the compliment. There are some similarities, but I think you will also see some differences. To note: I project Brockers at 7, which is about the peak. I also have Jeffery in the 50's, which I have not seen at all. I also have some of the midget burners much higher than most, including both Arkansas WR's, Adams and Wright. At the same time, I have Trumaine Johnson a late third rounder, and I even hedge on that one. I see a ton of teams taking him off their boards.

I think Brandon Brooks and Josh Norman will surprise on how early they go, and also that I do not post Chris Givens in the top 100. Meanwhile, I have TJ Graham posted as a 3rd rounder, while most publications have him listed as a 5-6th rounder.

Finally, I see Bruce Irvin as a substantial riser after the combine and workouts, and when people think WV was crazy to have him play the 3-4 DE position. So, while there are some similarities, I think there are also some differences.

U know what. Maybe reading through the list the first time I didn't see all the little tweaks here and there.but I tell you what, I completely agree with Adams place on this board and would love to drop Injury prone Ginn and have Adams waiting in the third. . Remember if Ginn wasn't such a little b***h, Williams would've never been back there. I have to disagree with B. Irvin, the guy lacks pass rush moves and should be drafted no higher than the fourth round. Thanks again Maddog.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
This is NOT a ranking of players. I would not have Michael Floyd ranked #20 on my best players available board. And, I would certainly have Bobby Wagner graded much, much higher than 53. Nor is this a mock draft, since trades destroy mocks, and make the effort futile. This is a judgment on where I believe the players will be selected, regardless of the team involved in the pick. For the vets, sorry to be redundant with this message, but there are people who get lathered up without understanding the nature of this post.

translation= when I'm wrong you can't use this against me because I really though the player was better/worse but I thought he'd be picked higher/lower. In reality I had him ranke higher/lower even though I never posted it...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
wow, its kind of refreshing to see a post by the dog and not getting blasted for it!! ! , good job dog, this helps people who know nothing about college football players, like me.
Our boards are very very different right now. I am waiting until after the combine to shuffle and post mine, but soon enough it'll be ready. Only have gotten through about 85 picks so far. Chipping away each opportunity I get.

Very interesting to see where you've got some of these guys. We'll see how close you turn out to be once the combine takes place this week. Good luck, my friend!

(One small spelling note - Weeden instead of Weedon)
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 20, 2012 at 10:07 AM ]
Do you think Coples sees a big drop from that top 5 area, and out of the top 10? His senior season has been pretty bad, and despite a good Senior Bowl performance, it's hard to imagine that it mitigates his entire last season of poor play. I know he's good the size/measurables that teams want, but does his tape justify a a pick in the top 10?
Mad Dog:
Always good to see your top 100. Could you post your top 100 players that you consider the best 100? Also you convey that this is how teams will pick but it seemed that you did not think Fleener was the best TE in the draft this list would indicate that teams think that he is the top TE in the draft, is that correct? Thanks again.
Share 49ersWebzone