LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

AB's Detailed 2012 Mock Off-Season

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by cciowa:
while some can quibble with the numbers i just marvel at what AB does. I agree with everything he says,, AB is indeed the brain of spock!

+1 the guy is a genius

It's funny, I always hated math in high school, never could get it, but for some reason with the salary cap, and just learning these numbers, its helped me. It's tough to start to keep track of players salaries.

Like Signing Bonuses are pro-rated, usually over the length of the contract, under the new cba the max it can be is over 5 years, so for Larry Fitzgerald, when he signed his 8yr deal, the signing bonus was over the first 5 seasons(2011-2015).

Roster Bonuses are a one time thing, you are on roster, you earn it that day, but there are contracts with multiple roster bonuses, sometimes 1 for each season.

Option bonuses like Peyton Mannings 28M is actually pro-rated if exercised.

Workout Bonuses, are for working out obviously lol. During OTA's. Some have timer triggers, like 95% of the workouts, etc...

Yeah. Is there any way we could create more cap room? It'd be really nice to sign 1 of the big name guys, they might put us over the top IMO. But if we keep our team together it seems like we simply can't do it. I dunno if we will keep the team together, I love your offseason but at the end of the day some teams might go crazy with offers or guys might decide to leave if money or playing time is more important. We'll see I guess. But this is my favorite offseason I've seen.
while some can quibble with the numbers i just marvel at what AB does. I agree with everything he says,, AB is indeed the brain of spock!

+1 the guy is a genius

It's funny, I always hated math in high school, never could get it, but for some reason with the salary cap, and just learning these numbers, its helped me. It's tough to start to keep track of players salaries.

Like Signing Bonuses are pro-rated, usually over the length of the contract, under the new cba the max it can be is over 5 years, so for Larry Fitzgerald, when he signed his 8yr deal, the signing bonus was over the first 5 seasons(2011-2015).

Roster Bonuses are a one time thing, you are on roster, you earn it that day, but there are contracts with multiple roster bonuses, sometimes 1 for each season.

Workout Bonuses, are for working out obviously lol. During OTA's. Some have timer triggers, like 95% of the workouts, etc...

Yeah. Is there any way we could create more cap room? It'd be really nice to sign 1 of the big name guys, they might put us over the top IMO. But if we keep our team together it seems like we simply can't do it. I dunno if we will keep the team together, I love your offseason but at the end of the day some teams might go crazy with offers or guys might decide to leave if money or playing time is more important. We'll see I guess. But this is my favorite offseason I've seen.

The best way is to approach Vernon Davis, who has a $5.751M base salary and ask him to reduce it to minimum, or 1M, convert the leftover space of 4.751M into a signing bonus which would be pro-rated over thru 2015, at $1,118,750 a year. We could save around $3,362,250M with this restructure. It would though add an additional $1,118,750M to his 2013 salary.

Vernon as of now is due like said a $5.751M base salary, $400K roster bonus, $200K workout bonus and has $1,666,666M in pro-rated bonus(which usually isnt touchable). He gets those roster and workout bonuses thru his last 4 seasons.

Another guy we could touch is Justin Smith, but not a total restructure, but a extension of his deal which runs thru 2013. He has a $5.875M base, and only a $500K workout bonus left. He also has a $8M base salary in 2013, with a $500K workout bonus. We could extend him a few more years maybe thru 2015, lower his base salary this year to 1M, also turning the $4.875M into a signing bonus pro-rated over 4 years(2015), $1,218,750M a year. We could also basically rip up his contract, give him new base salaries for 2013 also. That way we are helped with next years cap.

+1 the guy is a genius

The best way is to approach Vernon Davis, who has a $5.751M base salary and ask him to reduce it to minimum, or 1M, convert the leftover space of 4.751M into a signing bonus which would be pro-rated over thru 2015, at $1,118,750 a year. We could save around $3,362,250M with this restructure. It would though add an additional $1,118,750M to his 2013 salary.

Vernon as of now is due like said a $5.751M base salary, $400K roster bonus, $200K workout bonus and has $1,666,666M in pro-rated bonus(which usually isnt touchable). He gets those roster and workout bonuses thru his last 4 seasons.

Another guy we could touch is Justin Smith, but not a total restructure, but a extension of his deal which runs thru 2013. He has a $5.875M base, and only a $500K workout bonus left. He also has a $8M base salary in 2013, with a $500K workout bonus. We could extend him a few more years maybe thru 2015, lower his base salary this year to 1M, also turning the $4.875M into a signing bonus pro-rated over 4 years(2015), $1,218,750M a year. We could also basically rip up his contract, give him new base salaries for 2013 also. That way we are helped with next years cap.

So what's the deal with restructuring to signing bonuses, do they still get the money this year and it just counts as something split up between the remainder of their contract, or is it literally delaying when they get the money? I have kind of a hard time seeing Vern and Justin let the 9ers delay their cash when they were 2 of the best players at their position this year, especially Justin. But if they would do it and we could bring in a legit player to help at WR, or another stud on defense somehow, then it'd really help.
There is a lot to like there. I doubt we resign all those guys. But I hope we do. It's a good mock. If the 49ers did something like this both contracts, FA and draft I would be super happy.
Great work! Thank you!

But a few major concerns:

-Bowman may need a pay raise
-Why would players who just played at such a high level take pay cuts? (McDonald, Akers, Whitner)
-I also was not overly excited about the draft choices.

but the FA break down was great. Thanks again!
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Great work! Thank you!

But a few major concerns:

-Bowman may need a pay raise
-Why would players who just played at such a high level take pay cuts? (McDonald, Akers, Whitner)
-I also was not overly excited about the draft choices.

but the FA break down was great. Thanks again!

Restructuring has nothing to do with taking a pay cut. It simply means you lower your salary in exchange for a bonus which can be prorated over the life of the contract.

This stuff isn't rocket science.

If we choose to cut Haralson and Spencer we would gain around $2.155M for Haralson and $3.3M for Spencer. Giving us an additional $5.455M. Which would give us $35.455M to spend.
-------------
That counts up to $18.7M against the 2012 cap, leaves us with $2.341M, now we then cut Spencer, save $3.3M and cut Haralson saving us $2.15M, a total of $5.45M savings, giving us $7.791M left.

I'm not a signing genius or anything but didn't you count the savings of Spencer and Haralson twice in your calculation?
Or am I missing something?
AB, are you employed by the 49ers? Because if you're not, they should get on that. You'd be great working underneath Paraag Marathe.

Unless you are Marathe

+1 the guy is a genius

So what's the deal with restructuring to signing bonuses, do they still get the money this year and it just counts as something split up between the remainder of their contract, or is it literally delaying when they get the money? I have kind of a hard time seeing Vern and Justin let the 9ers delay their cash when they were 2 of the best players at their position this year, especially Justin. But if they would do it and we could bring in a legit player to help at WR, or another stud on defense somehow, then it'd really help.

The player gets the money right away, but it is divided up over the length, it cant exceed 5 years in pro-ration.
Originally posted by ForThe_Niners:

If we choose to cut Haralson and Spencer we would gain around $2.155M for Haralson and $3.3M for Spencer. Giving us an additional $5.455M. Which would give us $35.455M to spend.
-------------
That counts up to $18.7M against the 2012 cap, leaves us with $2.341M, now we then cut Spencer, save $3.3M and cut Haralson saving us $2.15M, a total of $5.45M savings, giving us $7.791M left.

I'm not a signing genius or anything but didn't you count the savings of Spencer and Haralson twice in your calculation?
Or am I missing something?

I may have, but I think I just like made a suggestion while writing and didnt really cut them yet.

• KID9R
  • Veteran
Pretty sure you did. I was going to post that as well. But good work, a lot of effort.
Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for stonecold590.
Very nice work. You always do a good job with ur #s. Kudos to u.
Originally posted by KID9R:
Pretty sure you did. I was going to post that as well. But good work, a lot of effort.

I see it now, lol. I did add it twice. So either Brooks goes or we dont get Robinson.
A couple things:

1- Haralson is not going anywhere. It's not coincidence when Justin Smith says that Haralson and Brooks makes our base defense what it is. He is not flashy but he is a huge part of our D.

2- There is no way Im giving a 5 year deal to a 31 year old CB. 3 years max at 6.5 mil. Nothing more. Of all the players available, he is the most easily replaceable. If he wants more years added on then we let him walk and use our 1st on a CB.

3- I think that Morgan and Brooks will cost more than what you are giving them. Morgan is going to be highly sought after and Brooks might demand double what you have him signing for. I would let Rogers leave, put the money towards Brooks. We cannot lose Brooks. I'd see what Morgan wants. If he wants too much he can bolt too.

4- Larent Robinson? No thanks. He has to put up more than 1 year before I am ready to give him close to 19 mil.

5- No offense I dont like any of your drafts. Dwight Jones stock has fell big time. I think he goes in the late 3rd, early 4th. I like Minnifield but I dont like Hill. And I highy doubt Reyes falls to the 3rd.
One more dumb question:

You have guys getting say 10 mil guaranteed with 5 of it as a signing bonus and the remainder as roster bonuses but how are roster bonuses guaranteed? We can cut them before they get the bonus so then it is not guaranteed.

Does this make sense?
Share 49ersWebzone