LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 149 users in the forums

9ersLiferInChicago Mock Draft 1-7

1st round: Mohamed Sanu or Alshon Jeffery. (With the hole at WR we must draft one here to come in and compete for that #1 WR spot. Sanu or Jeffery will be available at this point for us. Either one would be an upgrade to our current WR corps at least, but likely compete and dress for the #1 WR spot. As I have stated before I think Crabs had his chance to show the world that he's a #1 WR and failed big time.)

2nd: CB or S. CB's Chase Minnifield (6-0, 185 & runs a 4-4) and Stephon Gilmore (6-1, 193, runs a 4-5) should be available. Both are ideal for our defense as they are both very good tacklers (especially Gilmore) with good cover and ball skills. We could go safety here with George Iloka (6-3, 213). Regarded as the top FS in collage by many, and climbing up the draft board. Still seen as a 2nd round guy who could go early to mid 2nd. If we we have to franchise Goldson then we take Iloka if he's available. If he isn't there we go corner for sure.

3rd: WR or OLB. I say if Tommy Streeter is here we take him. I strongly believe we should get two WR out of this WR deep draft. If Streeter isn't there them I say get OLB Bruce Irvin out of W. Virginia. Just go look at the bio on Irvin, he could be a real sleeper. Irvin is very raw and will need time to be groomed. But he has the talent to play OLB and ILB.

4th: RB. Terrance Ganaway out of Baylor. I think we all can agree that the coaching staff isn't happy with Dixon not wanting to run like they want him to – like a big back. Ganaway will be the perfect addition in a system that wants to grind out late in games, sort yardage situations, and goal-line situations.

5th: ILB. Jerry Franklin of Arkansas. I think it's important we get a solid ILB that can come in for Willis and Bowman when need be, especially if we cannot resign L. Grant.

6th: WR. If we missed on Streeter in the 3rd then we get Jeff Fuller of Texas A&M. If we get Streeter in the third then we go CB or S, witch ever one we missed out on in the 2nd – CB Micah Pellerin of Hampton (has been clocked at 4-3) or FS Christian Thompson of South Carolina State.

7th: G. Rokevious Watkins of S. Carolina. Would be a steal here I think. Would push Mike Person.

I know there's a bunch of "ifs" in this but thats how the draft works. Again, I'm not a big fan of spending a lot in FA. We have a lot of good guys we can resign before they hit the street. The focus should be on those guys. But I think we should take long looks at M. Colston and Mario Williams.
Thoughts?
I think the first three picks will be gone before our pick besides. Maybe Sanu. But I like all the guys
Originally posted by Dadda808:
I think the first three picks will be gone before our pick besides. Maybe Sanu. But I like all the guys

+1
Originally posted by Dadda808:
If Sanu & Jeffery are gone by pick 30 (which I seriously doubt) then that would mean that a 1st round run on WR is taking place and some teams would have reached. I see a run on WR's happening in the 2nd and/or third so I think a WR will be there for us.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Feb 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM ]
Overall a very good mock. Love the streeter pick he could be a steal in the third round. If there is a run on wideouts I think we draft fleener if hes available, but I doubt that would happen but its possible. At any rate great mock one of my favs so far.
I was expecting expecting 7 TEs.
does ganaway give the 49ers anything they cant get from anthony dixon?
Originally posted by hofer36:
does ganaway give the 49ers anything they cant get from anthony dixon?
More of a willingness to be a short yardage back. Ganaway won't really dance around as he is a one-cut between the tackles runner.
if we want streeter we need to get him in the 2nd
Originally posted by niners9:
if we want streeter we need to get him in the 2nd
I admit that Streeter may not be there in the third. But if we WR in the first, like I think we will, it won't make sense to get another in the 2nd. This draft is deep in WR so we will ba able to get another in a later round. I think we get a CB or S in the 2nd, especially if we have to franchise D. Goldson.

I wouldn't touch Stephon Gilmore. He had a pretty bad year this past season and I'd have to disagree with you about him being a good tackler. He aims high very often.

I also wouldn't touch Ganaway, especially in the 4th (which is a reach IMO). At 240 lbs, the guy is soft.
Share 49ersWebzone