Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by mavfd9er:
I see where your coming from. But I think what myself and maybe some other posters are saying is we're gonna add an extra TE in place of a WR. IMO it doesn't matter what position a player is but as long as he can open up the offense. I'm also not very comfortable with the WR's that will probably be available at pick 30.
Case in point right there, after the top 3 go (Blackmon, Floyd, and Wright) there is a significant increase in bust potential and if the team chose a WR at 30, it would reek of a need pick rather than BPA... We would be getting at best the 4th rated WR compared to Fleener, who is arguably the #1 TE.
Due to the horrible history of WR's drafted in the first round, taking Fleener and moving Walker to H-back adds more to this offense than any WR available at 30. Norris will not be on the team next year so give his roster spot to Walker and bring in Fleener as the #3 TE. Walker no longer would hit the TE salary bucket, and if Miller gets hurt, both Walker and Byham can fill in capably at FB while still allowing for 2TE packages.
Yet another great rationale for picking Fleener. It just makes sense on so many levels. It would make the entire offense stronger because...
1) The running game gets a boost due to standard double TE sets for better overall blocking and more versatile play calling.
2) The opposing defense would be at a great disadvantage trying to account for both Vernon Davis and Fleener.....both being huge receiving threats (see NE Pats and NO Saints this season).
3) Fleener already knows the offense so would hit the ground running and contribute immediately (unlike the vast majority of rookie WRs)
4) The team adds depth at FB and HB by moving Walker, who is an undersized TE, to a position more fitting to his size and skill set.
5) Since both TEs would be receiving threats, it is unlikely any of the WRs will draw double coverage, allowing them to make more plays.
Yes, Virginia....we have found a solution to the Niners' offensive offense....and his name is Fleener.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Feb 15, 2012 at 12:14 AM ]