LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 144 users in the forums

CJ's Attempt at an offseason (updated)

2012 Offseason and Draft

**I am not going to gush over all these draft picks because there is a ton of literature on this site and many others, so I am assuming either you know who they are or can easily find out.

Draft: - I think there will be many chances to trade back to get more picks, but if Tannenhill is gone, I doubt there will be many teams interested at 30 to give up enough picks. Sanu is a good consolation prize IMO.

1. WR – Mohamed Sanu RUT

2. S – Harrison Smith ND *Would develop behind Goldson this year and will take over when he walks next year.

3. OLB – Shae McClellin BosieST *Has gotten a lot of hype lately, but I hope he lasts this long

4. C – William Vlachos ALB *Would take the reins from Goodwin sooner than later

5. TE – David Paulson ORE

6. S – Blake Gideon TX

7. CB – Isaiah Frey NEV

Free Agency: - Well priced high character guys. I know I have a lot of UDFAs making the squad, but if these guys don't get drafted I can see them fitting the 49er mold. There aren't really any holes on the team that require mega million dollar deals. Most of these guys are needed for solid depth or developing.

1. WR/RS – Eddie Royal DEN - A very solid Returner but also is a good reciever. After a down year with Tebo, he should come cheapish.

2. OLB – Chris Chamberlian STL - Stud against the run and a good rotational starter if needed.

3. RB - Drake Dunsmore NW (UDFA) - A TE conversion to be a RB. He has the Tobey Gerhart build and ability. Dixon is all Boobie no honey badger, and his tweets make me feel like I had a stroke. Darn that tweet window on the main page.

4. DE – Markus Kuhn USCar (UDFA) - Good developmental DE. I'm not a fan of RJF and he would beat Dobbs and Tukufu IMO.

5. WR/RS - Devon Wylie FRES (UDFA) - I think he may fall like Nole Devine he is a bit small for today's prototype WR. I thinks he will be an awesome pick up though if the 9ers land him.

6. ILB – J.K. Schaffer CIN (UDFA) - After seeing he wasn't even invited to the combine and Wolfe was, I think he won't get noticed enough to get drafted. He was a tackling machine for the Bear-cats.

Resign: I am not salary savvy like many mock offseasoners seem to think they are, so I'll just stick to who I would like to stick around and leave the money up to the 49ers.

Goldson - Franchise if he is going to act like last year. There are many FA safties this year, so the market may not be very lucrative again.

Rodgers - I hope they can work out a dal. I would hate to see him go 1 and done here. If he walks I hope they go after Carr from KC.

Alex

Morgan

Snyder

Costanzo

Grant (restricted) - 2nd round tender

Spillman (restricted) - low tender

**If their name isn't on here they either walked or were cut**

**I kept an extra receiving TE instead of another receiver and I think Goodwin could get beat out by Vlachos, but probably won't. Kilgore will give Snyder a run for his money.

**I kept the team a little heavy in the safety position because they seem to be the best Special Teamers. Culliver may beat Brown in camp for the starting spot.

OFFENSE: (24)

QB: A.Smith – Kapernick/Tolzien

RB: Gore - Hunter/Dunsmore

FB: Miller

WR: Crabtree/Morgan – Sanu/Royal/Wylie

TE: V.Davis – Walker/Bynham/Paulson

OT: Staley/A.Davis – Boone/Persons

OG: Iupati/Snyder - Kilgore

C: Vlachos

DEFENSE: (26)

DE: J.Smith/McDonald – Dobbs/Kuhn

NT: Sopaoga - Williams

OLB: Al.Smith/Haralson – Chamberlian/McClellin

ILB: Willis/Bowman – Grant/Schaffer/Costanzo

CB: Rodgers /Brown – Culliver/Brock/Frey

SS: Whitmer – Gideon/Spillman

FS: Goldson – H.Smith/Jones

Special T: (3)

K: Akers

P: Lee

LS: Jennings

RS: Royal/Wylie
[ Edited by clemyre on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:39 PM ]
FYI, Chase Thomas is not in the draft this year. He's a junior, and did not declare. With all due respect, overall, not really seeing this off-season as very realistic.
So I assume Ginn isn't re-signed? So who is doing the returning?
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
So I assume Ginn isn't re-signed? So who is doing the returning?

Royal looks like.
Wouldn't rely on that many comp picks, either.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
FYI, Chase Thomas is not in the draft this year. He's a junior, and did not declare. With all due respect, overall, not really seeing this off-season as very realistic.

Dang. Thanks I forgot to update that part. I meant to put Shae McClellin there from Boise State. Thanks for pointing that out.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Really? I thought 2 low end picks would be about right. I keep looking to find the formula they use to determine the picks but I still can't find one. I am just going off what seemed to be a trend regarding starters lost and their impact on their new team.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
I like what you did with the WR position I want us to go after Royal and Sanu

but I don't see Grant staying and I think and hope goldson will get paid next year ..you don't let a safety that good walk away they're very hard to find

I also hope we go after a CB/OL in the 2nd round not safety.
[ Edited by ImaMod on Feb 5, 2012 at 2:23 PM ]
Not bad.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
best draft so far

Originally posted by clemyre:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Really? I thought 2 low end picks would be about right. I keep looking to find the formula they use to determine the picks but I still can't find one. I am just going off what seemed to be a trend regarding starters lost and their impact on their new team.

The formula seems to be a secret, but I doubt we get any comp picks. We lost three starters with Baas, Spikes, and Franklin, but we gained three starters in Rogers, Goodwin, and Whitner. They would seem to cancel each other out.

What's your problem with Rickky Jean? I think he has developed nicely, and has proven he can hold down anywhere on the line should someone get hurt and at least be a valuable rotation player. Then there is this of-course. lol . I do like the Sanu and Vlachos picks though.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Feb 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM ]
we wont get any Comp Picks, Maiocco has an article out on CSN Bay Area website. Gained same as lost, Note released players dont count so Clements and Carr dont count as losses.

Also there is no 3rd round RFA tender level.
Love the Paulson pick. Dude is really underrated and certainly not utilized in the offense as he should've been.

He had the best hands on Oregon last year as well.
pretty good!
Share 49ersWebzone