There are 170 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

stever's try on a good offseason

Here is my try in on the free agency and draft.

I think the niners should re-sign the following players :

Alex Smith, 2 years, around 15 millions

I don't think Alex will get a long term contract here, because what we got this year from him is the ceiling and Kaepernick has the potential to be much more. Colin isn't ready yet, so i contract in the 2 year range is exactly what the niners should be looking for. Alex could get a longer contract anywhere else, but will stay because he loves Harbaugh, he loves haing the same OC for the first time and he isn't the kind of guy that is only looking for the big contract.

Dashon Goldson, franchise tag for around 7 million per year.

Goldson will get a big contract anywhere else if the niners let him reach the free agency. He will be looking for a contract in the 5 year, 40-45 million range and this is simply too much. We don't have another safety on the roster who could take over and bringing in another guy is expensive, too. So franchise him and pick up a safety in the later rounds of the draft and pair him with a free agent veteran.

Adam Synder, 3 years, 7.5 millions

With Snyder in the lineup, the oline was solid. He is a good player who can be a swing backup at least.

Josh Morgan, 2 years, 6 millions

I don't think Josh will make a big splash in free agency coming of his injury. He makes quite a jump money wise (625.000 in 2011 to 3.000.000 in 2012). The contract is only for 2 years, because he must show, that he is the same after the injury.


Blake Costanzo, CJ Spillmann , 1 year 1.5 millions and 1 millions

Keep the special teams core together. Both get a 100% rise to keep them in.


Don't resign:

Ted Ginn : We will pick up a speedy wr and returner in the draft. Ginn does not bring very much to the offense so he is replaceable.

Ahmad Brooks : I would love to keep him, but he will be getting a huge contract. He played a great season, he is an every down player, he can rush the qb. He will be too expensive to keep him. Aldon Smith will be the starter on his position next season.

Tavares Gooden and Larry Grant : Larry played too good when Willis was hurt, so he will be the starter anywhere else next year. Gooden will be replaced by a rookie who will be the backup to Willis and Bowmann, too.

Moran Norris, Chilo Rachal, Shawntae Spencer and Reggie Smith : They all will try a new start anyhwere else.


This would be a cap hit of around 24 million dollars, it will take around 6 millions to sign the new rookies (2011 numbers) what leaves around 13.5 millions to spend.


This leads to the decision, to resign Carlos Rogers or to let him go. I think he will be looking for a contract in the 9 million per year for 4-5 years range. If he gives the niners a discount, they could maybe sign him to a 3 years 25 million dollar deal. If the niners sign him to such a contract, there won't be much money for a wr, you can only get a 2nd tier guy in that case.

So here is scenario 1 , the niners resign Carlos Rodgers to a 3 year 25 million deal with 7 millions in 2012 and 9 millions in 2013 and 2014 :

In free agency:

Robert Meachem, WR , 3 year, 10 million dollar deal. Meachem gets around 1 million per year now(2011) and is a player, who fits the niners need for a speedy guy.
Mike Pollack, G/C, 2 years, 3 millions. A veteran backup for the interior line.Started at both positions.
Reggie Nelson, FS, 1 year, 2 millions. Backup safety

Draft :

1st round : Nick Perry, OLB, USC .

In the absence of Ahmad Brooks, Perry could play the same role, that Aldon Smith did this year. He or Whitney Mercilus, who will not be available in my opinion should for a great tandem with Aldon Smith for years.

2nd round : Kendal Reyes, DE, UConn

We all know that Justin Smith is not getting younger. This is a pick for the futures, but Reyes is a guy, who plays with a lot of intensity and power. He is just fun to watch-

3rd round : Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma

Broyles was a 2nd round pick before tearing his acl, but he should be ok for the next season. He is a great returner, too.

4th round : Audie Cole, MLB, North Carolina State

We need a new backup in the middle. Cole is a in the box. He has played outside, so he can be a backup there, too.

5th round : Cordarro Law, OLB, Southern Miss

Another pass rusher to complete the lb-corps. A sleeper who looks like a perfect fit for the 3-4 defense.

6th and 7th round : A safety and a cb with special teams value.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this would be the new depth chart :

QB- Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick. Scott Tolzien
WR- Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Robert Meachem, Ryan Broyles, Kyle Williams
TE- Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Nate Byham
RB- Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, Anthony Dixon
FB- Bruce Miller

LT: Joe Staley, Alex Boone (swing tackle)
LG- Mike Iupati, Mike Person
C- Jonathan Goodwin, Mike Pollack
RG: Adam Snyder, Daniel Kilgore
RT- Anthony Davis, Alex Boone (swing tackle)

Defense
ROLB- Aldon Smith, Cordarro Law
MLB- Patrick Willis, Navoro Bowman, Audie Cole, Blake Constanzo
LOLB- Parys Haralson, Nick Perry
DE- Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Kendal Reyes, Demarcus Dobbs
DT- Isaac Sopoaga, Ricky Jean Francois
CB- Carlos Rodgers, Chris Culliver, Tarrel Brown, Tramaine Brock, Rookie
FS- Dashon Goldson, Reggie Nelson, Colin Jones, Rookie
SS- Donte Whitner, CJ Spillman, Colin Jones
[ Edited by stever on Feb 5, 2012 at 5:46 AM ]
I'm not going to criticize the draft, but I think free agency will go down a little differently. Snyder isnt worth $4 million a year. I think he's proven that he's a backup. I also think that we'll try to re-sign Larry Grant. As for brand-new guys, I don't know that Meachem will be at target. If he played for any other team besides the Saints, he probably be viewed as a bust. I am just speculating though.

Man, what happened to Reggie Nelson? He was supposed to be a stud coming out of college. I think he will be able to sign for a starting job.

Good work! There is a lot of detail in there.
Originally posted by strickac:
I'm not going to criticize the draft, but I think free agency will go down a little differently. Snyder isnt worth $4 million a year. I think he's proven that he's a backup. I also think that we'll try to re-sign Larry Grant. As for brand-new guys, I don't know that Meachem will be at target. If he played for any other team besides the Saints, he probably be viewed as a bust. I am just speculating though.

Man, what happened to Reggie Nelson? He was supposed to be a stud coming out of college. I think he will be able to sign for a starting job.

Good work! There is a lot of detail in there.

Ok, i just looked at the money other starters at guard get and changed it to 2.5 millions per year. But he is a starter, so he has to be payed like a starter.

As for Nelson : He just did not reach his potential, so he is only a backup at this stage of his career.
not bad, i think your draft is a little heavy on the D. but overall good job. i also think alex will be signed to atleast a 4 year deal.
tooooo heavy on d we need some offense. in first few rounds at least a wide reciever... how about sanu first round then ur draft
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,190
i do not know anything about college football so I will never grade someones mock draft but , unless I missed something, i did not see a replacement for ginn in returning kicks and punts cept for the rookie wide out. if you let ginn go, i will really think that spot is a real need and we can not "hope"someone else can do the job.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i do not know anything about college football so I will never grade someones mock draft but , unless I missed something, i did not see a replacement for ginn in returning kicks and punts cept for the rookie wide out. if you let ginn go, i will really think that spot is a real need and we can not "hope"someone else can do the job.

That is true, except for Broyles, but he is a pretty darn good returner.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,134
In a weak free agency class for safeties, Reggie Nelson is going to receive starting money and a starting position somewhere in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/player/reggienelson/2507167/profile

He performed very well for the Bengals this past year. I'm sure he'll resign with them instead of taking a backup position. Instead, I think James Sanders would fit the bill for a good backup swing safety (FS and SS).

Also, if we resigned Snyder, I don't think we bring in a vet free agent as a backup for the interior positions. I think Kilgore fits that role as he's seen time at C and OG. Instead, I think we'll look into the draft to acquire depth.

Outside of that, you pick good players in your draft, and I really like the addition of Meachem in free agency. I guess I would question why we are so defensive focused when offense is clearly the hurdle.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,482
Crabtree still our #1? That would suck
Originally posted by GEEK:
In a weak free agency class for safeties, Reggie Nelson is going to receive starting money and a starting position somewhere in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/player/reggienelson/2507167/profile

He performed very well for the Bengals this past year. I'm sure he'll resign with them instead of taking a backup position. Instead, I think James Sanders would fit the bill for a good backup swing safety (FS and SS).

Also, if we resigned Snyder, I don't think we bring in a vet free agent as a backup for the interior positions. I think Kilgore fits that role as he's seen time at C and OG. Instead, I think we'll look into the draft to acquire depth.

Outside of that, you pick good players in your draft, and I really like the addition of Meachem in free agency. I guess I would question why we are so defensive focused when offense is clearly the hurdle.

It's true, that the offense is the hurdle, but the hurdle in free agency is on key defensive positions. So we have to take this into account. We did bolster the offense with the free agency picks (Meachem and Pollack) and the 3rd rounder. The 1st rounder is the Brooks replacement, the 2nd rounder is kind of a luxury pick i must agree.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,051
Larry Grant is a restricted free agent. We should put a 2nd round tender on him.

If we do that, we will get a second round pick if he signs with another team.

If he stays,we have a starting quality back-up for Willis and Bowman.
Great job stever! I'm really feeling the Reyes pick, I think he'll automatically jump into the rotation and be a force! They Perry pick would be pretty sweet if he makes it down to our pick and totally forgot Broyles was in the draft. He could be a killer steal if he can keep his speed even after the torn ACL.

Only negative would be on the Nelson pick. Didn't like him @ Florida, didn't like him @ Jacksonville, and wouldn't want him on the Niners. Rather have a rookie behind Goldson rather than Nelson. Other than that, I like it
Originally posted by buck:
Larry Grant is a restricted free agent. We should put a 2nd round tender on him.

If we do that, we will get a second round pick if he signs with another team.

If he stays,we have a starting quality back-up for Willis and Bowman.

Oh, that is something i missed. This would free up the 4th round pick for a safety like Aaron Henry from Wisconsin or another speedy wr like Joe Adams from Arkansas
Not a fan of Cordarro Law. Probably will not be drafted. For all his size and speed, he gets manhandled often times and it's not pretty. I had a chance to see him play against Nevada, and he just got embarrassed, beat up and down the field. He's late off the ball (often the LAST one on the line to get off) and just altogether looks to really lack strength and any sort of leverage.

I know he was productive statistically, but most of his numbers were compiled against terrible competition and/or because of stunts or someone else making a play that he just cleaned up.

That Nevada game was actually broken down here and you can see what I mean:

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 5, 2012 at 1:11 PM ]
I would rather have Brian Quick than Broyles. Broyles is comming off the injury, which he sould recover from, but I don't know if he has the size for our WCO. If we took him and he came back strong great, but I'd rather have Quick. Maybe I'm biased. I'm just fixated on finding the next T.O., so I don't know how objective I am. Other than that I would probably take a corner in round 4.