There are 152 users in the forums

Players All-Star Classic (The "other" All-Star Game) in Little Rock, AR

I know that not many know about this game, but it does feature some guys worth following. Thanks to AB, a draft blog has been created to help inform you of the prospects there and guys to keep tabs on.

Below is the first entry:

Quote:
Submitted by OTC on Wed, 02/01/2012 - 19:39

The past couple of weeks we've seen the majority of the top prospects in the nation showcasing their skills in the premium college All-Star games known as the East-West Shrine game and the Senior Bowl. A lesser-known all-star game this year, however, is the Players All-Star Classic. Unlike the other two games, the All-Star classic, held in Little Rock, Arkansas, is not televised unless you live in the southeast. While the game features a majority of players who are late rounders just hoping to make a case to get drafted, there are several noteworthy prospects to consider who are expected to go in the middle rounds of the 2012 NFL Draft. Listed below are several names (height/weight/40 included) of potential risers to keep tabs on during this week of practices:

S Tramain Thomas, Arkansas
Height: 5'11 3/4"
Weight:192
40 time: 4.60
Projected: (4th-5th round)

S Kelcie McCray, Arkansas State
Height: 6'1 5/8"
Weight: 196
40 time: 4.48
Projected: (6th-7th round)

S Charles Mitchell, Mississippi State
Height: 5'10 3/4"
Weight: 205
40 time: 4.56

S Donovan Richard, South Carolina State
Height: 5'11 7/8"
Weight: 218
40 time: 4.43
Projected: (7th-UDFA)

OG Antoine McClain, Clemson
Height: 6'5 5/8"
Weight: 335
40 time: 5.34
Projected: (7th round)

OG Jaymes Brooks, Virginia Tech
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 310
40 time: 5.05

OL Blake DeChristopher, Virginia Tech
Height: 6'4 5/8"
Weight: 305
40 time: 5.10
Projected: (7th round)

WR Mike WIllie, Arizona State
Height: 6'2 1/8"
Weight: 217
40 time: 4.59

WR Derek Moye, Penn State
Height: 6'4 1/2"
40 time: 4.54
Projected: (UDFA)

WR Wes Kemp, Missouri
Height: 6'3 1/8"
Weight: 230
40 time: 4.47
Projected: (UDFA)

OLB Sammy Brown, Houston
Height: 6'1 3/4"
Weight: 243
40 time: 4.67
Projected: (6th round)

DE/OLB Jacquies Smith, Missouri
Height: 6'2 3/8"
Weight: 255
40 time: 4.62
Projected: (5th-6th round)

DE/OLB Brett Roy, Nevada
Height: 6'2 5/8"
Weight: 273
40 time: 4.78
Projected: (4th round)

CB Troy Woolfolk, Michigan
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 195
40 time: 4.54

CB Coty Sensabaugh, Clemson
Height: 5'11 1/4"
Weight: 187
40 time: 4.56

CB Tashaun Gipson, Wyoming
Height: 5'11 1/4"
40 time: 4.57

Complete Weigh-In Results can be found on Wes Bunting's blog at National Football Post here: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Players-AllStar-Classic-Weighin-Results.html

-OTC

http://draft**tchers.com/node/1118

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:45 PM ]
Quote:
WesBunting Wesley Bunting
#Nevada DL Brett Roy has been good all week, doesn't have ideal position, but guy will find way to make NFL roster, ideal 34 versatile guy

been kind of following Wes' coverage of this via twitter, not much has jumped out of me though

maybe one thing was former USC QB Aaron Corp, Wes has said some good things about him, seems like a nice target in the 7th round
Originally posted by vrabbit:
been kind of following Wes' coverage of this via twitter, not much has jumped out of me though

maybe one thing was former USC QB Aaron Corp, Wes has said some good things about him, seems like a nice target in the 7th round

Yeah, I've only seen a few mentions of players that I think the 49ers might have remote interest in. Bretty Roy and Sammy Brown are a couple. Roy, I'm not sure, but he's interesting to look at. I though he would weigh-in maybe around 285+ .. much less than that. If he times in the 4.7's, a 3-4 team could look to use him at OLB. Not sure why Brett Roy opted out of the East-West Shrine game.

Sammy Brown put up huge numbers and looks like a very poor-man's Von Miller. He needs a TON of work in somea bunch of fundamental areas, but he has great athleticism and talent to work with. Put up a whopping THIRTY (30) tackles for loss this season and 13.5 sacks. He led the nation in TFL and it wasn't even close. Whitney Mercilus was #2 with 22.5 TFL.

I REALLY like FS Tramain Thomas though and want to hear more on Kelcie McCray. I've heard good things from fans, and see he's been productive, but production doesn't always = talent. Back to Tramain Thomas, boy does he look like a Da'Shon Goldson clone. Can play both safety spots, VERY athletic and has GREAT hands for the interception. Also hits like a rhino with a full head of steam.

If I had to narrow down my top 5 prospects from this game, I'd say they are:

1) S Tramain Thomas, Arkansas
2) S Kelcie McCray, Arkansas State
3) DE/OLB Jacquies Smith, Missouri
4) OLB Sammy Brown, Houston
5) DE/OLB Brett Roy, Nevada

But again, I've only seen Brown and Roy mentioned (and both were positive reports saying they looked impressive). Hoping to hear more on Thomas, McCray, and Smith here in the following days.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 2, 2012 at 1:17 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by vrabbit:

Yeah, I've only seen a few mentions of players that I think the 49ers might have remote interest in. Bretty Roy and Sammy Brown are a couple. Roy, I'm not sure, but he's interesting to look at. I though he would weigh-in maybe around 285+ .. much less than that. If he times in the 4.7's, a 3-4 team could look to use him at OLB. Not sure why Brett Roy opted out of the East-West Shrine game.

Sammy Brown put up huge numbers and looks like a very poor-man's Von Miller. He needs a TON of work in somea bunch of fundamental areas, but he has great athleticism and talent to work with. Put up a whopping THIRTY (30) tackles for loss this season and 13.5 sacks. He led the nation in TFL and it wasn't even close. Whitney Mercilus was #2 with 22.5 TFL.

I REALLY like FS Tramain Thomas though and want to hear more on Kelcie McCray. I've heard good things from fans, and see he's been productive, but production doesn't always = talent. Back to Tramain Thomas, boy does he look like a Da'Shon Goldson clone. Can play both safety spots, VERY athletic and has GREAT hands for the interception. Also hits like a rhino with a full head of steam.

If I had to narrow down my top 5 prospects from this game, I'd say they are:

1) S Tramain Thomas, Arkansas
2) S Kelcie McCray, Arkansas State
3) DE/OLB Jacquies Smith, Missouri
4) OLB Sammy Brown, Houston
5) DE/OLB Brett Roy, Nevada

But again, I've only seen Brown and Roy mentioned (and both were positive reports saying they looked impressive). Hoping to hear more on Thomas, McCray, and Smith here in the following days.

Yeah I've seen Thomas and Smith play, both of them are good mid round players IMO.
First off glad to have you aboard the site, and second, I'm intrigued by Jacques Smith.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Yeah I've seen Thomas and Smith play, both of them are good mid round players IMO.

Yep, wouldn't mind adding either of them as developmental guys who we think could start later.

Oh, and as I had hoped -- more info about the players I wanted to hear from. Noteable inclusions in NFP's Top 10 Players All-Star Classic prospects so far this week:

Quote:
1. OLB Brett Roy: Nevada (6-3, 272)
It's rarely pretty with him. However, he's a strong kid who possesses good power into contact, knows how to use his hands to fend off blocks and has a motor that runs non-stop. Plus, he's a sneaky athlete who could end up playing just about any linebacker spot in a 34 front.

2. FS Kelcie McCray: Arkansas State (6-2, 196)
A tall, good-looking athlete who displays natural foot quickness, the ability to turn and run, and tracks the football well. There is a little tightness to his game. However, he can run and has the ability to make a roster early on and potentially contribute.

7. OLB Sammy Brown: Houston (6-2, 243)
Simply put, he's a guy who can reach the passer. He was a tough block off the edge this week and despite some work ethic concerns, you can't overlook his ability to get after the QB.

9. CB Coty Sensabaugh: Clemson (5-11, 187)
There are some rough spots to his game relating to his footwork. However, he's a fluid kid who can turn and run, and has a good feel in coverage. He's a bright corner who understands pre-snap tells and is a guy who could end up filling out a depth chart because of it.

10. WR Julian Talley: UMass (6-1, 184)
Talley was one of the few guys down here this week who could consistently separate out of his breaks. He has the ability to mature into a good route runner, but needs to do a better job catching the football. Nevertheless, he can run vertically and has the talent to intrigue.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ranking-the-AllStar-Classics-Top-10-prospects.html
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Yep, wouldn't mind adding either of them as developmental guys who we think could start later.

Oh, and as I had hoped -- more info about the players I wanted to hear from. Noteable inclusions in NFP's Top 10 Players All-Star Classic prospects so far this week:

Quote:
1. OLB Brett Roy: Nevada (6-3, 272)
It's rarely pretty with him. However, he's a strong kid who possesses good power into contact, knows how to use his hands to fend off blocks and has a motor that runs non-stop. Plus, he's a sneaky athlete who could end up playing just about any linebacker spot in a 34 front.

2. FS Kelcie McCray: Arkansas State (6-2, 196)
A tall, good-looking athlete who displays natural foot quickness, the ability to turn and run, and tracks the football well. There is a little tightness to his game. However, he can run and has the ability to make a roster early on and potentially contribute.

7. OLB Sammy Brown: Houston (6-2, 243)
Simply put, he's a guy who can reach the passer. He was a tough block off the edge this week and despite some work ethic concerns, you can't overlook his ability to get after the QB.

9. CB Coty Sensabaugh: Clemson (5-11, 187)
There are some rough spots to his game relating to his footwork. However, he's a fluid kid who can turn and run, and has a good feel in coverage. He's a bright corner who understands pre-snap tells and is a guy who could end up filling out a depth chart because of it.

10. WR Julian Talley: UMass (6-1, 184)
Talley was one of the few guys down here this week who could consistently separate out of his breaks. He has the ability to mature into a good route runner, but needs to do a better job catching the football. Nevertheless, he can run vertically and has the talent to intrigue.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ranking-the-AllStar-Classics-Top-10-prospects.html
VICTOR CRUZ PART 2!!!
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
VICTOR CRUZ PART 2!!!

You never know! Same school, although Cruz is 6-0 205, and Talley is a bit lankier 6-1 184.
Is this game the same one that used to be in Texas? How do they go about selecting players for this game rather than for the East West Shrine game? Are there any more all star games out there?

Share 49ersWebzone