There are 323 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do we trade up for Floyd?

Originally posted by sfout:
If we re-sign all of our key FAs: Alex, Snyder, Morgan, Rogers, Brooks, Goldson then I would be very willing to trade about 3 picks to move up, maybe 4. The way all of our players are talking about sticking around, as long as they walk the walk I don't see an any glaring holes we'd need filled so it wouldn't hurt us to send off a couple of picks.

and thats the pint im making

if we resign all our FA then ya trade up
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
and thats the pint im making

if we resign all our FA then ya trade up
If you re-sign all your free agents you still don't have s**t for depth, so when anyone goes down for an extended amount of time, you're doing what they did last year at WR and having to sign guys off the street or the practice squad.

Bottomline, I guarantee there will be at least 2 better receivers than Floyd picked in the 2nd round or lower.


Look at some of the top receivers in the league.


Mike Wallace-3rd round pick

Jordy Nelson-Late 1st rounder

Victor Cruz-Undrafted

Steve Smith-3rd Round

Wes Welker-Undrafted

Roddy White-Last 1st rounder

Brandon Marshall-4th Rounder

Marques Colston-7th Rounder

Antonio Brown-6th Rounder

Vincent Jackson-2nd Rounder

Brandon Lloyd-4th Rounder

Desean Jackson-2nd Rounder

Miles Austin-Undrafted

Anquan Boldin-2nd Round



So other than obvious top tier receivers like Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson who are immediately snatched up in the top 5 picks, and no Floyd is not in their class or even close, most top receivers come later in the draft....or not at all. This is why the scouts get paid, to find guys who can play, because they're out there, there is a receiver who will be picked in round 3 or 4 and will outproduce every other receiver in the draft, it happens every single year.

Now let's look at some "can't miss" prospects who were anything but

Peter Warrick

Roy Williams

Javon Walker

Sylvester Morris

Donte Stallworth

Michael Clayton

Bryant Johnson

Reggie Williams

David Terrell

Ashley Lelie

Charles Rogers

Mike Williams

Freddie Mitchell

Rashaun Woods-This phucker couldn't even hack it in the CFL.

Troy Williamson


Going back in 49ers history.

JJ Stokes-Big, dominant receiver, was supposed to be the next great 49ers receiver, cost them dearly to trade up for him, didn't work out as planned.


If I'm a betting man, I'd probably not want to spend an early draft pick on a WR.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 30, 2012 at 9:39 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
draft room forum


but ya i agree i would love to trade up for him has both speed and size to be a #1 WR


he has the size...speed is questionable, according to scouting reports i have read
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
No trading up...

In no particular order you have...

Blackmon
K. Wright
Sanu
Jeffery
Floyd

We can sit tight and one of these will fall to us. But really we don't need a 1st round WR. WR talent is deep this year.

I love the following

Juron Criner - Arizona
Jarrett Boykin - Va Tech
Ryan Boyles - Oklahoma
Jeff Fuller - Texas A&M
BJ Cunningham - Michigan State
Nick Toon - Wisconsin

Wow, it really is pretty deep.

Definitely should sit tight and wait to see what falls.

Plus, who's to say we draft a WR in the first anyways? If we grab a top WR in free agency, we can focus elsewhere in round one.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Wow, it really is pretty deep.

Definitely should sit tight and wait to see what falls.

Plus, who's to say we draft a WR in the first anyways? If we grab a top WR in free agency, we can focus elsewhere in round one.

This draft is deep in many area's, which is why I hate the idea of wasting picks for a guy who is essentially Crabtree, a physical possession receiver with average speed. This is a draft that can make or break a team for years to come, lots of top talent and late-round gems available in this one.
It's a funny situation.

As a fan/armchair GM it's easy to look at the WR rankings and say, "holy moly, there's like 20 WRs that are all pretty good. We should totally wait and just take whichever one falls. That's the best way to may a mock draft with maximum value that makes me look like genius."

And I'm not knocking that point of view, because it was exactly my initial reaction.

But even though there's a ton of WRs in this draft, it's a virtual certainty that only a few of them will end up being really good players. So even though, as a fan, it's easy to think, "Floyd, Jeffreys, Sanu, McNutt, Toon, who cares? I'd be happy with any of them," it's very possible that Baalke and Harbaugh have just a couple of guys they like.

And while I never support trading lots of picks, if they really think that Floyd is the guy that's going to be a good pro then I wouldn't fault them for trading up for him. Realistically I could only see that happening if Floyd drops down a ways in the first round.

Personally, I think Floyd is the only WR in this draft that looks like a star NFL WR. But he also sounds like a player that could be tough to deal with. So if I were a GM I would probably avoid him. And draft Sanu.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,835
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Now let's look at some "can't miss" prospects who were anything but

Peter Warrick

Roy Williams

Javon Walker

Sylvester Morris

Donte Stallworth

Michael Clayton

Bryant Johnson

Reggie Williams

David Terrell

Ashley Lelie

Charles Rogers

Mike Williams

Freddie Mitchell

Rashaun Woods-This phucker couldn't even hack it in the CFL.

Troy Williamson


Going back in 49ers history.

JJ Stokes-Big, dominant receiver, was supposed to be the next great 49ers receiver, cost them dearly to trade up for him, didn't work out as planned.


If I'm a betting man, I'd probably not want to spend an early draft pick on a WR.

49ers traded 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks to get Jerry Rice. If Baalke feels that we Floyd is a special player than he should trade up, but if he feels that there is not much difference between Floyd, Sanu and that reciever from South Carolina then he may chose to be patient and let things fall to him.
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30BHWCTxm3g

Ultimate Michael Floyd hightlight video. According to the source.

@1:40 of the video that was the weirdest/worst ran route ive seen
i dont see the speed... i see the size strngth and catchng ability. id rather have a burner with some yac capability.
Originally posted by GORO:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Now let's look at some "can't miss" prospects who were anything but

Peter Warrick

Roy Williams

Javon Walker

Sylvester Morris

Donte Stallworth

Michael Clayton

Bryant Johnson

Reggie Williams

David Terrell

Ashley Lelie

Charles Rogers

Mike Williams

Freddie Mitchell

Rashaun Woods-This phucker couldn't even hack it in the CFL.

Troy Williamson


Going back in 49ers history.

JJ Stokes-Big, dominant receiver, was supposed to be the next great 49ers receiver, cost them dearly to trade up for him, didn't work out as planned.


If I'm a betting man, I'd probably not want to spend an early draft pick on a WR.

49ers traded 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks to get Jerry Rice. If Baalke feels that we Floyd is a special player than he should trade up, but if he feels that there is not much difference between Floyd, Sanu and that reciever from South Carolina then he may chose to be patient and let things fall to him.
I wouldn't make the trade but at the same time I would get excited real quick if Baalke made the move. Floyd is a beast, a good blocker and has sure hands. If the Niners felt that strongly about him than I don't think it would be a waste. We traded up for Kaep this year and lost picks and Kaep was the only guy that didn't really contribute. Fleener and Floyd are my favorites right now but I haven't studied yet...
Sloppy route running imo.
I hope so!!!!!!

If not, Kendall Wright!!!!
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
I wouldn't make the trade but at the same time I would get excited real quick if Baalke made the move. Floyd is a beast, a good blocker and has sure hands. If the Niners felt that strongly about him than I don't think it would be a waste. We traded up for Kaep this year and lost picks and Kaep was the only guy that didn't really contribute. Fleener and Floyd are my favorites right now but I haven't studied yet...

Floyd is basically Crabtree more or less. IMO the 49ers don't need yet another possession receiver. They need someone with decent hands who can stretch the defense with their speed. That's not Floyd.
i saw one mock having him go to chargers at pick 18...niners once traded up from botttom of round 1 to pick 16 for jerry rice, and it cost them 3 high picks if i recall