There are 280 users in the forums

Mock Offseason Take #3

cut RJF

f**k THAT
Not many complaints.

Definitely we keep RJF and I believe if Byham and Reuland are competing for a roster spot, Byham wins.
No way they let RJF go. Not a chance..
If we sign a FA OLB, why spend a 2nd on another? Rather keep Brooks and sign a vet backup, we have other needs to address early in the draft.

RJF is like 25, why do we need to get younger. Cutting a solid backup who can play all 3 DL positions that makes 6th rounder money seems silly at the least.

Fleener is a huge reach in round 1, might still be there at the end of round 2.

I like the Ramon Foster signing
Erin Henderson can't play OLB in a 3-4. He won't be effective at all. And the redskins are set at OLB so i doubt they would even entertain Brooks. Why in the world would you cut RJF for Ian Williams? That just makes no sense at all. I just can't see a 4th tight end getting a roster spot over a 5th wr especially if it's ginn who can return kicks. Draft was solid.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Erin Henderson can't play OLB in a 3-4. He won't be effective at all. And the redskins are set at OLB so i doubt they would even entertain Brooks. Why in the world would you cut RJF for Ian Williams? That just makes no sense at all. I just can't see a 4th tight end getting a roster spot over a 5th wr especially if it's ginn who can return kicks. Draft was solid.

im thinking robert mathis
  • sfout
  • Veteran
lol people stop reiterating something that has been address 10x already. I get the issues with Henderson, this is not something I want the main point of this is to show that a 4TE/4WR team can work. How about some feed back on that part of it.
Originally posted by sfout:
lol people stop reiterating something that has been address 10x already. I get the issues with Henderson, this is not something I want the main point of this is to show that a 4TE/4WR team can work. How about some feed back on that part of it.

it works in theory but id rather have 3 TE and 5 WR

3 TE being davis fleener and walker

and have 5 WR 4

4 is cutting it short one injury we have 3 WR adn thats too thin
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

and have 5 WR 4

Exactly. One injury and all 4 wr sets are wiped out of the playbook. And the chances of the 3rd, and 4th tight end being productive aren't very high. The niners need to be developing a 3wr set with a good slot wr then worrying bout 4 tight ends.

and have 5 WR 4

I think this year we're going to have to go with 6 WRs. I know that's not Harbaugh's style, but until we figure out who we can count on we have to keep more WRs around.

If we resign Ginn (which I think most would agree is a good idea) then we will have one WR spot essentially going to KR/PR. I think we'll need to have 5 more WRs beyond that in order to have the depth we will need. If we had 2 or 3 guys we KNEW were studs then maybe we could take more chances with a thinner roster. But we don't have that.

Maybe next offseason we'll know enough about who we have to carry fewer. But this year I think we need:

Crabtree
Ginn
1 good FA WR (Colston, Bowe, even Manningham)
1 good rookie (so many to choose from, but I like Sanu
1 mid tier FA WR (Simpson, Meechem, or somebody similar) or Morgan
Kyle Williams or a later pick rookie WR

and have 5 WR 4

Exactly. One injury and all 4 wr sets are wiped out of the playbook. And the chances of the 3rd, and 4th tight end being productive aren't very high. The niners need to be developing a 3wr set with a good slot wr then worrying bout 4 tight ends.

Go 5/4 -- letting Moran Norris walk opens up a spot. This year, we started out 5/3: Crab-Morgan-Edwards-Ginn-Williams / Davis-Walker-Peele

This following year, with Norris gone, we could go 5-4: Crab-Morgan-ROOKIE-Ginn-Williams / Davis-Walker-ROOKIE-Byham
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 30, 2012 at 10:26 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

and have 5 WR 4

Go 5/4 -- letting Moran Norris walk opens up a spot. This year, we started out 5/3: Crab-Morgan-Edwards-Ginn-Williams / Davis-Walker-Peele

This following year, with Norris gone, we could go 5-4: Crab-Morgan-ROOKIE-Ginn-Williams / Davis-Walker-ROOKIE-Byham

Now that will work.
I like it...dun dun daaa except one key thing...Frank Gore is done and we will draft his replacement this season...Shocker...dun dun daaaa!
I don't get why everyone thinks Marques Colston will not sign back with the Saints. Dude will either sign or be tagged...
[ Edited by chico49erfan on Jan 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I don't get why everyone thinks Marques Colston will not sign back with the Saints. Dude will either sign or be tagged...

You can say that about every top FA out there.

If Brees doesn't have his contract squared away by late Feb, the Saints will use their tag on Brees. They are currently said to be "far apart" on numbers. Also, Colston has said he will not be giving the Saints a hometown discount.
Share 49ersWebzone