There are 150 users in the forums

Tico's 1st Mock of the season

Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
you lost me at Poe though

Really, what don't you like about him? Or do you feel as though an NT that early is not needed?

I think picking that low, it almost doesn't matter what position you target so long as you get great talent. So even if it's not a need, getting a young/massive NT, playmaking WR, another pass rusher, OG or even a RB will serve this team well. Anyone nit-picking the 29th-32nd pick of the draft in a mid-January mock is being kinda silly.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM ]
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I'm all for your free agents. Maybe add a quality number 2/3 corner, or depth at OLB if available. I have a man crush on Poe so I love the 1st pick. Though I think another team will draft him right before we get the chance. solid draft. With that 3rd rounder though I would rather them go after a CB, FS, or C. And even with bowe this team still needs a speedster at WR

I thought the same as you concerning CB, FS or C. However, I think those three will be addressed in FA by resigning our players. I can really see Konz, but want Poe. I think in that third our need at RB outweighs the other three at that level. In other words, RBs have great value in rds 3-7. Who knows, Polk might drop because of injury concerns. I know Hunter dropped for other reasons so you can get great backs and IMO, Martin is a great value in the third.

But I see where you're coming from.

Originally posted by jojomellon:
...and what's your problem.
Spitting image
Originally posted by jojomellon:
Spitting image

of what?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I really doubt we go after Poe, Tomsula has already stated that he doesn't believe you need a really big guy to man the NT position. Besides, Sopoaga is doing a helluva job right now, RJF can also take over if need be and I'd rather develop Ian Williams who showed some potential in the Preseason. Marcus Forston would also be a good pick up hopefully in the 3rd or 4th rounds, was looking like a force before he got hurt.

I'm sticking to my guns and saying we should still target either a WR or CB in the 1st.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I really doubt we go after Poe, Tomsula has already stated that he doesn't believe you need a really big guy to man the NT position. Besides, Sopoaga is doing a helluva job right now, RJF can also take over if need be and I'd rather develop Ian Williams who showed some potential in the Preseason. Marcus Forston would also be a good pick up hopefully in the 3rd or 4th rounds, was looking like a force before he got hurt.

I'm sticking to my guns and saying we should still target either a WR or CB in the 1st.

I remember that now. Oh well, Ice has been playing well, too.

WR or OL, IMO. But the FA WR market is very rich this year. I expect to land one of the big names like Bowe. If that is the case, then CB, OL or OLB, IMO.

Thanks man.
I doubt we can keep all of these free agents and add Bowe. That would probably come out to nearly $45 million/year and I can't see the team committing that much
Originally posted by valrod33:
worst mock so far

Exactly...this draft is so horrible I really can't strain to say something good about it. For the next while, we need to be drafting skill position players.
Where to start? Well Poe is a 2nd or even 3rd round prospect. So drafting a guy we don't need, and worse, reaching so far for him seems unrealistic. Sopoaga will be a lifetime 49er. He didn't play early in his career and fits our defense well. If we re-sign Brooks, I think the 2nd round is too early to go for another OLB IMO. I think Bruce Irvin is a good player but he won't be an every-down player for awhile and depth at other positions (WR, CB) need to be addressed. I would have no problem drafting a 3rd rd RB if the first 2 picks weren't a waste. That said, Doug Martin wouldn't be my choice. Keestan Randle isn't a bad player, but is he better then our current backups (Tukuafu, Dobbs) who are all young, cheap, healthy and waiting for a shot. If we are gonna draft a DE to eventually replace Smith, I think we do it early(1 or 2) The fallout in talent at that positions is significant. We also need a CB in the first 3 rounds, even if we resign Rogers.

I like the signing of Bowe. Who knows whats gonna happen in KC this off-season? The drafted Jon Baldwin #1 last year and are under going a regime change. I could see him leaving, and he would be great in WCO.

I think Houston will keep Breisal
Share 49ersWebzone