There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tico's 1st Mock of the season

49ers to bring back much of their own: QB Alex Smith—No brainer!
WR Morgan—Not for much compared to other WRs
CB Rogers – Expressed desire to return and will.
FS Goldson – Franchise the man.
FS Spillman – Great for ST and solid bkup
ILB Costanzo – Proved his worth in ST, keeper.
OLB Brooks – I believe he stays even after testing market.
OG Snyder—I believe he too will stay and compete for that RG spot, great bkup swing man.
LB Grant—Think he will eventually come back

49ers FA
Dwayne Bowe, WR, KC—Just an incredible find. Perfect match to Crabtree. With Morgan and Williams we have a solid WR core.
Mike Brisiel, G, Hou—A solid starting RG for them, great for our new Zone Scheme.

Draft
RD 1 Dontari Poe, NT Memphis
Ice will be a FA next year and we need someone to replace him and that won't be RJF or Ian Williams for that matter, too. He would immediately become the main backup and possibly compete for starting roles by the end of the year.

RD2 Bruce Irvin, OLB West Virginia
Haralson I believe is a FA next year. If so, we need more depth at OLB and groom someone to mold for the future and provide depth. This kid has some serious potential and came from hard knocks. He may not make it to us in the second. For now , he does.

RD3 Doug Martin, RB Boise State
I know. I know, but Gore again showed why he is a risk when it comes to his health at this point in his career this season. He's just not the Bell Cow anymore on every game. His health doesn't allow it so we need to get a backup plan. Enter muscle hamster! Not as fast as Pocket Hercules and would need the coaching of Rathman on pass protection, but man he's a splitting image of Gore.

RD4 Kheeston Randall, DT Texas
We need stronger depth at DE with Tukufu going in FA. Here comes Randall whose strong at the POA and rarely gets moved by a single player. He holds up very well to double teams due to his strength. He has a great first step, but will need to work on increasing his ability to get sacks like McD or Justin Smith.

Eh, it's a start, but I really think we will need to address those areas we drafted and picked up in FA. The need for FS is clear and we may keep Reggie Smith, but Goldston is destined to be franchised. We need someone for Ice and we haven't drafted a fattie since we drafted Ice in the fifth. Poe size and strength coupled with his agility makes him highly desirable for our D. Irvin may get hot over the analysis period, but he would fit our team well and provide solid depth.

As far as the RB, IMO, we need one as Dixon doesn't seem to be cutting it as big as he is. Still, Gore just is not the same man. The injuries are keeping him too many times off the field and Hunter is not a Bell Cow, IMO. To many times has he gone down the first time they hit him. We need a wrecking ball and Martin is well know in the weight room given his nickname: "Muscle Hamster" OK, that's funny!

And finally, more D. Since we have signed most of our own, we have the opportunity to increase depth and competition. Randall will do just that for our 3-4 DEs. He has perfect size and strength for the position at 6'5", 305. He will only get bigger and stronger with our trainers. He could be a nice find in the fourth.

So have at it. Been a long time and it feels good to be back.

Go Niners!
[ Edited by ninertico on Jan 19, 2012 at 1:02 PM ]
Originally posted by ninertico:
splitting image
I'm all for your free agents. Maybe add a quality number 2/3 corner, or depth at OLB if available. I have a man crush on Poe so I love the 1st pick. Though I think another team will draft him right before we get the chance. solid draft. With that 3rd rounder though I would rather them go after a CB, FS, or C. And even with bowe this team still needs a speedster at WR
I haven't watched Poe play, but I love those big ugly nose tackles.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I'm all for your free agents. Maybe add a quality number 2/3 corner, or depth at OLB if available. I have a man crush on Poe so I love the 1st pick. Though I think another team will draft him right before we get the chance. solid draft. With that 3rd rounder though I would rather them go after a CB, FS, or C. And even with bowe this team still needs a speedster at WR

I thought the same as you concerning CB, FS or C. However, I think those three will be addressed in FA by resigning our players. I can really see Konz, but want Poe. I think in that third our need at RB outweighs the other three at that level. In other words, RBs have great value in rds 3-7. Who knows, Polk might drop because of injury concerns. I know Hunter dropped for other reasons so you can get great backs and IMO, Martin is a great value in the third.

But I see where you're coming from.

Originally posted by jojomellon:
...and what's your problem.
Poe would not unseat ICE, when ICE leaves his replacement would start.....and he will get resigned
you lost me at Poe though
Don't think we'll have enough cap room to do all that, especially cuz Bowe will want big $$. But if it happens, I'll be ecstatic. Actually, I would look for a younger better replacement for Snyder
worst mock so far
RJF has played well in spot duty this year. DL is one of the few areas where depth isn't much of an issue, imo. I suppose I could get on board with either Poe or a late round guy but not both.

I think we'll Franchise Goldson and tender both Spillman & Grant. I see Brooks leaving, so I like the Bruce Irvin pick.
we dont need a NT

id go with nick perry (i think thats his name) OLB from USC or Whitney Mercilus if still avaliable

then go casey heyward in 2nd round
Not sure we can realistically resign all of those free agents, but would love it if we did. If Poe has a strong worth ethic, I think he'd be a great addition in the late first, and have no issues with your picks either so long as we sign the veterans you propose.
Originally posted by valrod33:
worst mock so far

Originally posted by vrabbit:
you lost me at Poe though

Really, what don't you like about him? Or do you feel as though an NT that early is not needed?
Originally posted by ninertico:
Really, what don't you like about him? Or do you feel as though an NT that early is not needed?

thats how i feel too

soap is doing a great job

NT is definitally not a 1st round need