LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

The cost to trade up

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
it looks like we may have to jump a couple of spots if we want fleener...the dude just ran a 4.45!!! if he falls to us we have to pull the trigger. I can see either the broncos, bears, or steelers snatching him up =/

Houston*
Originally posted by jreff22:
Right now we can draft no lower then 29th come April. The value of that pick is 640 so I will use that number to calculate some maneuvering. Obviously all draft day trades are different and every deal can vary on the factors. I will try to keep the numerical values as close as possible when making projections for each possible trade range.

From 29th to 25th
640 to 720, would have to give up a 3rd round pick valued at 128.

From 29th to 20th
640 to 850, would have to give up a 2nd round pick valued at 292 but possibly gain 4th round pick valued at 62.

From 29th to 15th
640 to 1050, would have to give up a 2nd round pick valued at 292 and a 3rd round pick valued at 128.

From 29th to 10th
640 to 1300, would have to give up a 2nd round pick valued at 292 and a 3rd round pick valued at 128-and most likely a future 2nd round pick with the possibility of a first.

Anything higher then a 10th would definitely require a future 1st round pick with multiple picks from this years draft going as well. The Falcons moved from 27 to 6 and surrendered a 2nd round from that draft and a future 1st as well, something we don't need to do. Now obviously if we keep winning then the value of our picks diminishes and the cost to move up will become greater and might require players in the deal.

On the flip side of the argument if we moved back...

From 29 to 37 (5th in the 2nd round)
We would gain their 2nd round pick and swap 3rd rounders.

From 29 to 42 (10th in the 2nd round)
We would gain their 2nd round pick and 3rd round pick and possibly give a 4th.

Again this isn't an exact science, I'm just going off of the numbers.

If Fleener is the target, the first option might be enough. But it may be necessary to go the #20 (we might have our pick of Fleener, Hill, Glenn, or someone who falls out of the top 15. If Fleener is the targer, then Delanie might become trade bait. With him in the deal, we might trade only our first, third and fourth.
it looks like we may have to jump a couple of spots if we want fleener...the dude just ran a 4.45!!! if he falls to us we have to pull the trigger. I can see either the broncos, bears, or steelers snatching him up =/

Houston*
yea maybe houston but they already have daniels and dressen. But we do have VD and walker and we are considering fleener so its possible....

they didnt go after any WRs in FA huh? theyd probably snatch up wright for sure if he slipped to them
Has anyone thought that the amount (meaning draft picks) to trade up could go up significantly as the cost to sign the top draft picks has gone down, and maybe the Washington deal was a precurser to expect teams to have to pay more than before. Also dont think we need to move up, but if we do I dont want to move up for a tight end when Davis is already here.
Originally posted by D-Money:
Has anyone thought that the amount (meaning draft picks) to trade up could go up significantly as the cost to sign the top draft picks has gone down, and maybe the Washington deal was a precurser to expect teams to have to pay more than before. Also dont think we need to move up, but if we do I dont want to move up for a tight end when Davis is already here.

Just as an aside on this, I am hoping that Washington doesnt set the market. They have, even in the Gibb days, had a weird approach to FA and drafting.

Houston*
yea maybe houston but they already have daniels and dressen. But we do have VD and walker and we are considering fleener so its possible....

they didnt go after any WRs in FA huh? theyd probably snatch up wright for sure if he slipped to them

In 6 seasons Daniels has only played 2 full seasons. He is hurt a lot and Fleener could push for the top spot on that roster.
bump for info
Originally posted by D-Money:
No, I think it only matters at the top 3rd or so. 13 and later has been semi reasonable contracts and the last 3rd was always good contracts.
Share 49ersWebzone