There are 172 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Geek's Mock Draft V2.0

  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,381
Geek's Mock Plan V2.0

Resign -

Alex Smith - QB
Josh Morgan - WR (1 year "prove it" deal since he's recovering from injury)
Ted Ginn Jr - WR/ST
Adam Snyder - OG

Carlos Rogers - CB
Dashon Goldson - FS (Franchise)
Ahmad Brooks - DE/OLB
Larry Grant - ILB (RFA Tender)

Release/Do Not Resign -

Shawntae Spencer - CB (CUT; 3M in savings)
Moran Norris - FB
Chilo Rachal - OG
Madeau Williams - S
Reggie Smith - S

Free Agency -

Brandon Carr - CB - Chiefs
*One big free agency splash for the 49ers is used to beef up the secondary, the weakest area of the D. The combination of Rogers, Carr, and Brown rounds out this unit. Culliver is shifted as the new Reggie Smith - Dime back and immediate backup to Dashon Goldson.

Jonathan Fanene - DT/DE - Bengals
*With McDonald's injury concerns and Smith's age, adding a vet backup to rotate is vital to protect the strength of this team's D. A great regular season, and a solid showing in the post season, he should be a reasonably priced addition to the team.

Roy Williams - WR - Bears
*A big bodied receiver to add size to our WR corps. With the changes in Chicago, he may not be resigned. He shouldn't command a large contract, so why not?

NFL Draft -

Trade: 49ers trade 1st and 3rd round picks for Bengals 1st round pick - Value is even. The Bengals have Oakland's 1st round pick, so trading back to acquire additional picks with their lower pick isn't far fetched. And the 49ers have used the Bengals as trading partners in previous transactions and drafts.

R1: Kendell Wright - WR - Baylor
*A beast at Baylor, Wright fills a big void in our offense of a dynamic and play making receiver to complement Crabtree's possession style skills.

R2: Ben Jones - OG/C - Georgia
*A very impressive interior lineman, Jones starts instantly at the RG position, and eventually transitions at center.

R4: Jamell Fleming - CB - Oklahoma
*A good mid-round prospect that is a physical corner and active in run support.

R5: Jacquies Smith - DE/LB - Missouri
*Another Smith to the 49ers...sounds fitting. Eventual replacement for Haralson.

R6: Greg Childs - WR - Arkansas
*Another big bodied receiver that provides added competition to the WR pool.

R7: Delano Howell - SS - Stanford
*Challenges Spillman and Jones for the backup SS positions and ST spots.

Depth Chart -

QB: Smith/Kaepernick/Tolzien
RB: Gore/Hunter/Dixon
FB: Miller
TE: Davis/Walker/Peele/Byham

WR: Crabtree/K. Williams
WR: R. Williams*/Morgan
WR: Wright*/Ginn

LT: Staley/Boone
LG: Iupati/Person
OC: Goodwin/Kilgore
RG: Jones*/Snyder
RT: Davis

LE: Smith/Fanene*
NT: Sopoaga/Williams
RE: McDonald/RJF

OLB: Smith/Haralson
ILB: Willis/Grant
ILB: Bowman/Contanzo
OLB: Brooks/Smith*

CB: Rogers/Brown/Brock
CB: Carr*/Fleming*
FS: Goldson/Culliver
SS: Whitner/Spillman/Jones

ST: Akers, Lee, Jennings
i like it- especially the FA signings

would be very happy with the draft too
Like it except for Roy Williams. Waste of space.
Yeah only thing I don't like is Roy Williams. he's a big body but he's not the type to go get jump balls or anything. I like Carr but i would also like to see the list of all FA CB's.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yeah only thing I don't like is Roy Williams. he's a big body but he's not the type to go get jump balls or anything. I like Carr but i would also like to see the list of all FA CB's.

brandon carr wont demand too much money and he may be one of the best #2 CB in nfl


also when trading up for wright if alshon jeffery or floyd are there i would rather take them


also wouldnt mind sitting where we are and taking sanu
Good draft, really accomplishes what I think we need to do NOW, get CB and WR talent. Roy Williams could be cheap and really make for good competition in TC. Morgan and Crabtree need to be pushed to keep them giving 100%, Morgan usually does, but competition is the best motivator for athletes.

The only pick i could disagree with is Wright, I prefer Alshon Jeffery, Floyd, and Sanu in that order. Wright is really fast, but I think we need to add a taller and strong receiver that commands respect in the endzone.

Goodjob!
with all the possible wrs in free agency we sign roy freaking williams
Overall, a very nice evaluation Geek...

I would have to agree with the other zoners about Roy Williams however. Hasn't shown that "fire in the belly" that Harbaugh likes so much. There are other options in both FA and the draft. I also feel that a big, red-zone threat is more important to this team now, especially with the emergence of K Williams as a nice slot receiver. I like that you brought back Ginn for his special teams abilities. He has been a huge contributor this season.

Unlike many zoners though, I'm still not sold on Goldson, despite his Pro Bowl birth this year. He simply misses too many tackles for a starting S. I wonder if he will be worth franchise money. Remember that many Niners will be due raises in the next season or two so the team needs to be very careful where it spends big money. I suppose that one could make the argument that a one-year deal might be OK (it would buy the team some time to find a replacement). I certainly would not offer him a long term deal at this stage however.

Love the draft picks but again, I wonder if some of those guys will be available where you slot them. Doubt both Jones and Fleming are there at Picks 2 and 3 for example. Would love if the draft pans out this way though!

Cheers!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,381
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Overall, a very nice evaluation Geek...

I would have to agree with the other zoners about Roy Williams however. Hasn't shown that "fire in the belly" that Harbaugh likes so much. There are other options in both FA and the draft. I also feel that a big, red-zone threat is more important to this team now, especially with the emergence of K Williams as a nice slot receiver. I like that you brought back Ginn for his special teams abilities. He has been a huge contributor this season.

Unlike many zoners though, I'm still not sold on Goldson, despite his Pro Bowl birth this year. He simply misses too many tackles for a starting S. I wonder if he will be worth franchise money. Remember that many Niners will be due raises in the next season or two so the team needs to be very careful where it spends big money. I suppose that one could make the argument that a one-year deal might be OK (it would buy the team some time to find a replacement). I certainly would not offer him a long term deal at this stage however.

Love the draft picks but again, I wonder if some of those guys will be available where you slot them. Doubt both Jones and Fleming are there at Picks 2 and 3 for example. Would love if the draft pans out this way though!

Cheers!

You make fair points.

On the Williams issue, I think that while the 49ers are a playoff team now, Alex Smith is still the QB of this team. To sign a Marques Colston or Dwayne Bowe would be great, but I don't think it's very realistic. In addition, you have two emerging receivers on the roster with Morgan and Williams, along with an emerging #1 WR in Crabtree. I'd sign Bowe in a heartbeat, but until Alex proves he can throw 300+ yards, 3 TDs, etc, it will be very hard to sign a clear cut prime WR.

On the Goldson point, I fully agree with you. I think the franchise tag is appropriate because it tells Goldson that: Hey we have faith in your ability to repeat your pro bowl season and correct your tackling technique. The tag is good money, aligned with your yearly contract demands. So now its your time to prove yourself that you can perform consistently. And if you don't, we have Culliver who will replace you the following year. Remember, Culliver played safety in his last year of college before converting back to cornerback.

Let's say that Goldson continues to do well, then we could sign him to a contract, and plug him in SS instead, with Culliver at FS. Donte Whitner has been solid, but in a pass happy league with higher TE utilization, we need a bigger bodied safety set. So Whitner could be expandable the following year.

And yes, some of those guys may not be available in those selections of the draft. But they are within range of their overall rank in the draft pool.

Glad you enjoyed the mock!
Originally posted by theginz2004:
Like it except for Roy Williams. Waste of space.

+1

If the Niners draft two WR's and re-sign both Ginn and Morgan, Williams is a total waste of money. I like the Fanene signing the most. Young player with experience and upside.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,347
Originally posted by GEEK:

Josh Morgan - WR (1 year "prove it" deal since he's recovering from injury)

Why would we even re-sign Morgan if we we drafted Wright and Childs and signed Williams? A 1 year prove it deal to our 3rd or 4th or even 5th receiver is completely pointless. Morgan or R. Williams would be completely unnecessary unless you we're seriously expecting Ginn to never step foot on the offensive side of the ball.
'
We'd have
1.Crabtree, 2. K. Williams, 3. Morgan, 4. Ginn, 5. Wright, 6. Childs, 7. R. Williams. why would we carry 7 WRs on our active roster? Seems a little ridiculous....
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 9, 2012 at 1:56 PM ]
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,242
SO you have us resigning Rogers (who will want big money) and Flowers (who will want big money) That's a lot of dough for one position. I think we lose Rogers and doubt we sign any bigger FAs. Just hasn't been our MO>
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,347
Originally posted by TX9R:
SO you have us resigning Rogers (who will want big money) and Flowers (who will want big money) That's a lot of dough for one position. I think we lose Rogers and doubt we sign any bigger FAs. Just hasn't been our MO>

Carr not Flowers. Carr will definitely be worth a lot but I bet he could be had a for a modest 3 year deal.
Heard that Roy Williams doesnt LOVE football that much...
josh morgan > roy williams, if we re-sign morgan i don't see a need for williams imo