There are 348 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Wisconsin C Peter Konz Reportedly will declare

Quote:
Tom Mulhern of Madison.com is reporting that sources close to the Wisconsin football program indicate that junior center Peter Konz will forgo his senior season as a Badger and enter his name into the NFL draft.

Konz, who was named an All-American as a junior, was the anchor of an offensive line which paved the way for Doak Walker Award and Heisman Trophy finalist Montee Ball.

Konz's decision comes just one day after Ball, who is also a junior, officially announced his return to the University of Wisconsin for his senior season.

http://wisconsin.247sports.com/Article/Konz-declaring-for-NFL-draft-55908

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

49ers need to target him in the 1st, in my opinion. We should target the best interior lineman we can find within the first two rounds. Why? Because we need to upgrade our starters. Snyder is a versatile back-up who can be an OK stopgap for a year, but is not a guy that couldn't be upgraded over, obviously.

Now that we've built a good foundation and core.. We need to draft starter-ready players who can come in and contribute from day one. The places we need to upgrade starters are: RG, WR, C, and CB. If Goldson walks, then FS too.

Possible plan?

Draft Konz, start him at RG next to Goodwin in 2012. In 2013, start Konz at C if Goodwin regresses, and then Kilgore at RG. If the team has faith in Beelers development, we could then stick with only one draft pick on the interior OL, and Beeler could compete and serve as depth. Our depth chart could be:

Staley - Iupati - Goodwin - Konz - Davis
Boone - Person - Konz/Beeler - Kilgore

9 OL right there.
Don't think he would fall to us, especially if we win on Saturday.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Can't be too quick to assume. He did have a dislocated ankle this year, so maybe that bumps him. Have to consider all the other talent in this year's draft as well.

How many players are 1st-round talent? As we see, every year, someone falls simply because of different teams' needs. The best teams get the combination of the best players with the best value for each need they have.

DeCastro and Cordy Glenn are interior OL that could go before Konz.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Clock, in the 1st?
niners projected kilgore and person as possible centers...i dont think they draft a center high in 2012
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by jreff22:

Can't be too quick to assume. He did have a dislocated ankle this year, so maybe that bumps him. Have to consider all the other talent in this year's draft as well.

How many players are 1st-round talent? As we see, every year, someone falls simply because of different teams' needs. The best teams get the combination of the best players with the best value for each need they have.

DeCastro and Cordy Glenn are interior OL that could go before Konz.

At best he'd go in the top 20 with a good medical. Kalil, Reiff, Martin, DeCastro, Sanders are already the top lineman in the draft, its highly unlikely that Konz moves past more the 2 of them. It's safe to say that we could end up with Konz or DeCastro with our 1st.
Drafting him to play Guard would depend on how well the Niners feel about Person/Kilgore, who they drafted this past year. I would like the Niners pick up a Center though, so I would love to have him, but would want him to start day 1 at Center.
noob

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/161357-underclassmen-declared-2012-nfl-draft/

I understand the importance of the O-line and all, but when you see the picks we've invested in Staley, Iupati, Davis, and rachal ... I think we need to upgrade either CB or WR with our 1st rounder. Interior linemen can be found later in the 3rd-4th rounds, I know they wont rate as high, but we NEED WR and CB for 2012.

I really believe that another year for Iupati and Davis, along with a full off season program and the same O-line coach and scheme will help our line in 2012. Rachal will walk and Kilgore or Snyder can be our RG and Goodwin will be serviceable
Originally posted by irishluder:
I understand the importance of the O-line and all, but when you see the picks we've invested in Staley, Iupati, Davis, and rachal ... I think we need to upgrade either CB or WR with our 1st rounder. Interior linemen can be found later in the 3rd-4th rounds, I know they wont rate as high, but we NEED WR and CB for 2012.

I really believe that another year for Iupati and Davis, along with a full off season program and the same O-line coach and scheme will help our line in 2012. Rachal will walk and Kilgore or Snyder can be our RG and Goodwin will be serviceable

I'm not opposed to waiting a bit, but it depends on value and BPA. Like I said, we can upgrade several starting positions, which include CB, RG, C, WR, and S. Who is the BPA when it comes to us?

If we feel great about Kilgore and Person as possible centers, then we could wait until the 3rd or 4th. I want us to have a better RG by next season. I am very curious as to what we're gonna do with Boone. A 4-year extension is big. I am curious if we plan on moving Davis to RG. I wouldn't be opposed, but at the same time, with his improvement, I'm not sure it would really make sense. Right now, we have locked up three good tackles.

This year is pretty good for interior linemen, so I can't see us passing on one, especially when Goodwin has been inconsistent and is getting older, Snyder may not re-sign, and Rachal is a goner. Have to be prudent here.

I like Konz, Ben Jones, and Brewster as the top 3 centers in this draft.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I'm all for it. Where we are picking the chance to get any player that may be the best at his position is a no brainer.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'd rather wait and select Ben Jones or Tyler Horn outta Miami.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
http://wisconsin.247sports.com/Article/Konz-declaring-for-NFL-draft-55908

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

49ers need to target him in the 1st, in my opinion. We should target the best interior lineman we can find within the first two rounds. Why? Because we need to upgrade our starters. Snyder is a versatile back-up who can be an OK stopgap for a year, but is not a guy that couldn't be upgraded over, obviously.

Now that we've built a good foundation and core.. We need to draft starter-ready players who can come in and contribute from day one. The places we need to upgrade starters are: RG, WR, C, and CB. If Goldson walks, then FS too.

Possible plan?

Draft Konz, start him at RG next to Goodwin in 2012. In 2013, start Konz at C if Goodwin regresses, and then Kilgore at RG. If the team has faith in Beelers development, we could then stick with only one draft pick on the interior OL, and Beeler could compete and serve as depth. Our depth chart could be:

Staley - Iupati - Goodwin - Konz - Davis
Boone - Person - Konz/Beeler - Kilgore

9 OL right there.

Would love me some Konz! Just like you, I believe he can move to RG and immediately compete and eventually start over Snyder. He can become the next Heitmann. If landed to us in that high twenties low thirties range, we have to snag him. He actually would be a BPA at that point. I honestly believe that we will take a FA WR this year, just too good of a list. I also like Glenn for an OL.

The fattie I'm really liking now is Poe. I hope we could grab him. At 350 with his moves, he could give us an even more powerful anchor point than Ice and let Ice be the primary backup for the front three, IMO. I also wouldn't mind Merciless (love that name!) to replace Brooks if he decides to bolt for more money. Regardless, we need better OLB backups. I expect Merciless to jump up boards into the end of the first.

I also am loving Polk, but I think he's out of our reach at the end of the second. He reminds me so much of Gore, too. Maybe too many other pressing needs to draft a RB after paying Gore big money. Yet, he would instantly become a better upgrade to Dixon as much as I love that cat. A Gore, Hunter and Polk backfield with the return of Miller looks formidable.

What's your take on that?
I think Konz is an excellent prospect, but I disagree with selecting him with our 1st. I think the 49ers should focus more on acquiring guys who play skill positions (especially WR, CB) or maybe add another pass-rushing OLB in case Ahmad Brooks leaves.
Originally posted by TX9R:
I'm all for it. Where we are picking the chance to get any player that may be the best at his position is a no brainer.

I do agree with this philosophy as long as the player isn't top in a s**t class