There are 245 users in the forums

New Redzone Target-Updated with Senior Bowl and E-W Shrine measurements*

Originally posted by PTulini:
I'd take Stephen Hill, Coby Fleener, or Juron Criner.

OTC mention somebody who I had forgot about because of injury but could be a "late" round target depending on medical....Childs out of Arkansas. If he checks out fine but is falling I would pull the trigger a round early and use him as the 6th WR that doesn't dress so he can heal further.
Originally posted by jreff22:

OTC mention somebody who I had forgot about because of injury but could be a "late" round target depending on medical....Childs out of Arkansas. If he checks out fine but is falling I would pull the trigger a round early and use him as the 6th WR that doesn't dress so he can heal further.

I've been reading up on Patella injuries and it seems like depending on the severity, Patella injuries can be even worse and more difficult to come back from than torn ACL's. This is very sad if Childs cannot come back to pre-injury form. He would've been gone in the first three rounds if he hadn't gotten hurt last year.

Now I'm concerned whether or not he'll even get drafted once teams look at that knee.

Childs was Arkansas' top target for Mallett, then he had injury issues, and Joe Adams emerged as there top guy, they have a tremendous QB Tyler Wilson, who will be a senior after deciding to stay for his final season.

Now that we are in the 29-32 range, we could be looking at a Mohamed Sanu. If not, I am all for trading back, maybe picking up a 2nd and heck maybe a team trades a 2013 1st for someone who is hot that is there at a need we dont need. Maybe Tannehill.

A guy I like that just declared is LSU DT/DE Michael Brockers, could be a 3-4 end. But it is too tell whether we keep some of our FAs, that will determine our main needs.

Alex, Rogers, Goldson and Brooks are top priorities. Costanzo, Morgan will be easy signings, Others like RFAs Grant and Spillman will be tendered.

What sucks about winning big is our team will be raided. Might lose a starter or 2. I can see Brooks, Goldson, Snyder leaving. Goldson is a must keep.

Brooks need to retained too, if we lose just Snyder and say Ginn, and retain Alex, Morgan, Costanzo, Rogers, Brooks, Goldson, Grant, Spillman and Gooden I am a happy camper.

I can see Nicks coming from New Orleans, e is a bay area native. Offer him a huge contract and he will come.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
As much as I like Dwight Jones, Michael Floyd would fit our team so well. He has so much explosion when he blocks and he runs like a running back when he has the ball in his hands.

I agree with you about Floyd. Only reason I hardly even mention him is because I like to think he'll be gone by the time we pick. Remember this isn't the 9ers of 2005 and 2007 or 2010 we will be drafting at the end of the 1st round. And I'd be shocked if Floyd lasted that long.

Since the Niners have talent at so many positions right now, they could conceivably trade up if they really like a player....like Floyd. Because they have made such good personell decisions in the past few years, they have more flexibility than most teams.

I recall that Bill Walsh once traded up so he could pick a wideout from a very small college in Mississippi.....guy by the name of Rice.
After what happened with Braylon Edwards, you can bet that the Niners will only bring in wideouts with great character and strong work ethics.

Would love someone to list the biggest WRs in the draft and in free agency with these being at the top of the criteria list.
Not sure I can really see us going after Bowe. He's got tons of talent for sure, but he seems inconsistent and not always focused.

I think Colston would be a GREAT fit.

Either way, I would think SF would be a top choice for top FA WRs. The 9ers are hosting the NFC Championship (man I love typing that) and have very little WR talent. Top WRs should be excited about coming to SF and having a chance to be the #1 WR. Especially after the show Alex just put on.

Colston just had a front row seat for the Alex Smith show. He knows how good that offense could be with him in it.

But even if we land Colston or another big name WR FA, I still agree that we should draft a big, fast WR in the first 2 rounds. That would leave us with Crabtree, Colston (or another FA), Williams, and maybe Hill (or another draft pick). Then we would be able to sign or not sign Ginn and Morgan as needed. Honestly, I'd like for us to have all 6 so that Ginn can focus on KR/PR duties. And so that we don't end up having to start guys like Swain again....
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
As much as I like Dwight Jones, Michael Floyd would fit our team so well. He has so much explosion when he blocks and he runs like a running back when he has the ball in his hands.

I agree with you about Floyd. Only reason I hardly even mention him is because I like to think he'll be gone by the time we pick. Remember this isn't the 9ers of 2005 and 2007 or 2010 we will be drafting at the end of the 1st round. And I'd be shocked if Floyd lasted that long.

Since the Niners have talent at so many positions right now, they could conceivably trade up if they really like a player....like Floyd. Because they have made such good personell decisions in the past few years, they have more flexibility than most teams.

I recall that Bill Walsh once traded up so he could pick a wideout from a very small college in Mississippi.....guy by the name of Rice.

Agree. I could see the 49ers moving up to get what they want very easily if that player is within reach.
More rankings, these are from NFP

Players are listed by height, so dont freak out by the rankings initially. Actual player rankings are on the far right...his ranking system goes like this:

**************************************************************************************

Starting Caliber

9.0 Starts first game as a pro… A rare prospect who possesses rare physical attributes which have an obvious impact on the game… Will instantly become one of the best players at his position in the NFL.

8.5 Becomes a starter during his rookie year… A prospect who possesses physical attributes that will create mismatches and have an obvious impact on the game… Will become one of the premier players in the league.

8.0 Starts in first game as a pro… A prospect who possesses physical attributes that will create mismatches vs. most opponents… A featured player on a team.

7.5 Becomes a starter during his rookie year… A prospect who possesses physical attributes that will create mismatches vs. most opponents… A featured player on team.

7.0 Becomes a starter during his rookie year… Becomes a solid NFL player who has no real weakness… Can't be exploited or consistently taken out of games.

Dirty Starter Caliber / Specialty Player

6.9 Contributes first year and starts second year… Must be able to get on the field and make a contribution as a rookie… Expected to start his second year in the league.

6.8 Contributes first year, but may take time to become a starter… Has the ability to become a starter and will be expected to assume a starting role.

6.7 Contributes first year, but doesn't possess the physical and/or athletic skill set required to ever become a starter. However has the ability to become a dynamic sub-package option and make an instant impact for an NFL team.

6.6 Clean player who is inconsistent in his play due to character, technique, alertness or competitiveness… Has all the physical tools needed to become a starter… If he overcomes his deficiencies he will be a star in the league… If he doesn't he will be a complete failure — There is NO middle ground!

Possible Starter Caliber / Developmental Prospect Caliber

6.5 Has one deficient area of his playing skills or his physical attributes but should be able to overcome it and contribute to a team… Has the potential to become a starter based on his abilities.

6.4 Has one deficient area of his playing skills or his physical attributes that will be difficult to overcome, but will contribute in spite of it… Has the potential to become a starter based on his abilities.

6.3 Has one deficient area of his physical attributes that he can NEVER overcome, but has been productive and has the potential to be a starter in the NFL in spite of his shortcomings.

6.2 Has one deficient area of his playing skills or physical attributes that he should be able to overcome and contribute to a team. Doesn't possess the physical and/or athletic skill set required to ever become a starter, but has the abilities to become a productive sub-package option and make an impact for an NFL team.

6.1 A clean prospect who will need time and development in order to contribute…physically, this player has all the tools to be a starter in the NFL but has not yet developed the necessary skills due to level of competition, offensive or defensive schemes, injury, grades or lack of playing time…true developmental player who has the potential to become a starter.

6.0 An underachiever who has exhibited a deficiency in some area of his play...has the abilities to become a starter but hasn't played up to them…has a problem with football instincts, character and/or competitiveness…boom-or-bust prospect.

Backup/Depth Caliber

5.9 Has a deficient area of his playing or physical skills that he SHOULD overcome and contribute as a backup and spot player only.

5.8 Has a deficient area of his playing or physical skills that will be DIFFICULT to overcome, but will contribute as a backup and spot player only.

5.7 Has a deficient area of his physical skills that CANNOT be overcome, but has been productive and can contribute as a backup and spot player only.

Free Agent Category

5.6 Free Agent with Speed, Character and Competitiveness.

5.5 Free Agent with Athletic Ability, Character and Competitiveness.

5.4 Free Agent with Size, Character and Competitiveness.

5.3 Free Agent at a High Level of Competition with either Size, Speed or Athletic Ability.

5.2 Free Agent with Size or Speed.

5.1 Free Agent with Character and Competitiveness.

5.0 Camp Body

*********************************************************************************************

NFP College Lettering System

B This prospect presently lacks the bulk for the position, but should be able to add bulk through time.

C This prospect has a character problem that must be considered before drafting… It may involve drugs, alcohol, weight problems, criminal acts, coachability or motor.

D This prospect has NO weakness in any critical factors, but will need time and development in order to fulfill his potential.

F This prospect presently lacks the bulk for the position and the frame to add the desired weight… It will be VERY DIFFICULT for this prospect to get any bigger.

J This prospect is an underclassman and has decided to enter the draft early.

M This prospect lacks football intelligence to play his position in the NFL… Has a problem understanding schemes or taking information from the classroom to the field.

O This prospect is an overachiever that grades out high in competitiveness, character and production.

P This prospect is being projected by the scout to play a position in the NFL that he has never played in college. The scout must feel this prospect has the potential to start in the NFL at the projected position.

S This prospect lacks the required playing speed for his position.

T This prospect is a tight or "stiff" player and the tightness has an effect on his play.

U This prospect is an underachiever, but must have the physical skills required to be a starter in the NFL… The underachiever can be a result of any factor EXECPT physical ability.

X This prospect has an injury problem that has AFFECTED his play.

Z This prospect lacks the required height for his position.

********************************************************************************************************8

5.8 is the cutoff he uses for his top 25 WR's so I will highlight all of the players who hold that rank by him.

01 Ifeanyi Momah WR 6-6 229 Boston College 5.5
02 Nelson Rosario WR 6-5 219 UCLA 5.4 T
03 Damarlo Belcher WR 6-5 213 Indiana 5.4
04 Derek Moye WR 6-5 210 Penn State 5.5
05 Lavasier Tuinei WR 6-5 216 Oregon 5.4 S
06 Tommy Streeter WR 6-5 215 Miami 5.8 T
07 Rueben Randle WR 6-4 208 Louisiana State 6.4 J
08 Juron Criner WR 6-4 215 Arizona 5.8 X C
09 Dwight Jones WR 6-4 225 North Carolina 6.9 D
10 Alshon Jeffery WR 6-4 229 South Carolina 6.8 S J
11 Jeff Fuller WR 6-4 220 Texas A&M 6.4
12 Jared Karstetter WR 6-4 210 Washington State 5.5 O
13 Wes Kemp WR 6-4 220 Missouri 5.5
14 Mike Willie WR 6-4 211 Arizona State 5.5 D
15 Gerell Robinson WR 6-4 222 Arizona State 5.7
16 LaRon Byrd WR 6-4 220 Miami 5.5
17 Marvin McNutt WR 6-4 215 Iowa 6.3
18 Marvin Jones WR 6-3 202 California 5.9
19 Da'Jon McKnight WR 6-3 211 Minnesota 5.5
20 Nick Toon WR 6-3 220 Wisconsin 6.4
21 Phillip Payne WR 6-3 205 UNLV 5.5 D
22 Brandon Kinnie WR 6-3 225 Nebraska 5.4
23 Greg Childs WR 6-3 217 Arkansas 5.4 X
24 Brian Quick WR 6-3 215 Appalachian State 6.1
25 Lance Lewis WR 6-3 209 East Carolina 5.9
26 Derrick Hector WR 6-3 215 Morehouse 5.4
27 Brad Starks WR 6-3 193 West Virginia 5.5 D
28 Michael Floyd WR 6-3 224 Notre Dame 7.0 C
29 Taylor Embree WR 6-3 207 UCLA 5.4 S T
30 DeVier Posey WR 6-2 210 Ohio State 6.0 C U
31 Chris Owusu WR 6-2 200 Stanford 5.5 X
32 Mohamed Sanu WR 6-2 215 Rutgers 6.8 D J
33 Jarrett Boykin WR 6-2 218 Virginia Tech 5.8
34 Matt Austin WR 6-2 198 Utah State 5.7 X
35 Rishard Matthews WR 6-2 215 Nevada 5.4
36 Jermaine Kearse WR 6-2 208 Washington 6.0 U
37 B.J. Cunningham WR 6-2 215 Michigan State 5.9
38 Chris Givens WR 6-2 203 Miami (Ohio) 5.4
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

Agree. I could see the 49ers moving up to get what they want very easily if that player is within reach.

Keywords in bold.

And right now we could very well be picking last, so our range would pretty much be to the 20th pick (590-850 on the DVC).

But I'd much rather let the draft come to us.
bump

• mod
  • Veteran
Where is fleener projected? 2nd round?
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Where is fleener projected? 2nd round?

I would say mid to late 1st to late 2nd round....cant see him going later then that.

His combine numbers will be interesting to see. I say he goes top 15 picks in the 2nd.
i want a shot at stephen hill and tommy streeter
This thread will be used to list, rank, discuss, argue etc etc players who fall into the "big target" category. Although I prefer the 6'3+ range for that classification I will use players who stand at 6'2 as of now. Once the combine comes we will have more accurate measurements for players I will adjust accordingly. All rankings and measurements are taken from DraftScout. I was initially only going to list WR's but will add TE's into the mix as well. Because most TE's fall into the "big" category I will try to keep the list short and keep the blocking guys out of the mix. If I have missed anybody let me know and I will add them.

Player-PositionRank-School-Class-Ht.-Wt.-40 Time

1. Michael Floyd WR2 Notre Dame Sr 6-3 224 4.54
  2. Mohamed Sanu WR4 Rutgers Jr 6-2 215 4.57
  3. Alshon Jeffery WR5 South Carolina Jr 6-4 229 4.56
  4. Rueben Randle WR6 LSU Jr 6-3 208 4.57
  5. Nick Toon WR7 Wisconsin Sr 6-2 220 4.52
  6. Brian Quick WR8 Appalachian Stater Sr 6034 222 4.63-updated
  7. Dwight Jones WR9 North Carolina Sr 6031 226 4.53-update....under 6'4
  8. Stephen Hill WR11 Georgia Tech Jr 6-4 206 4.57
  9. Tommy Streeter WR12 Miami (Fla.) rJr 6-4 215 4.49
  10. Marvin McNutt WR17 Iowa Sr 6024 216 4.52-updated....under 6'4
  11. Jeff Fuller WR19 Texas A&M Sr 6041 217 4.52-updated....taller then listed originally
  12. B.J. Cunningham WR22 Michigan Stater Sr 6013 209 4.59-updated....shorter then 6'2
  13. Gerell Robinson WR26 Arizona State Sr 6031 223 4.58-updated
  14. Marvin Jones WR27 California Sr 6017 198 4.53-updated....under 6'2
  15. Jarrett Boykin WR30 Virginia Tech Sr 6-2 218 4.64
  16. Derek Moye WR33 Penn Stater Sr 6-4 210 4.54
  17. Mike Willie WR34 Arizona State Sr 6-2 212 4.59
  18. Greg Childs WR35 Arkansas Sr 6031 215 4.56-updated
  19. Juron Criner WR36 Arizona Sr 6021 220 4.62-updated.....under 6'4
  20. Phillip Payne WR46 UNLV Sr 6-3 205 4.62
  21. Thomas Mayo WR47 California (PA)Sr 6012 207 4.59-updated.....under 6'2
  22. Chris Summers WR48 Liberty Sr 6-3 212 4.64
Player-PositionRank-School-Class-Ht.-Wt.-40 Time

1. Dwayne Allen TE1 Clemson Jr 6-4 255 4.76
  2. Coby Fleener TE2 Stanford Sr 6-6 245 4.77
  3. Orson Charles TE3 Georgia Jr 6-3 242 4.64
  4. Michael Egnew TE4 Missouri Sr 6-5 245 4.60
  5. Ladarius Green TE5 La.-Lafayette Sr 6-6 236 4.64
  6. Rhett Ellison TE7 Southern California Sr 6-5 250 4.76
  7. Kevin Koger TE8 Michigan Sr 6-4 258 4.78
  8. Nick Provo TE11 Syracuse Sr 6-3 249 4.78
  9. Deangelo Peterson TE12 LSU Sr 6-3 236 4.73
  10. Josh Chichester TE16 Louisville Sr 6-7 240 4.79

I am kind of down on Jeffrey right now.I'm afraid of him being a J.J. Stokes or Mike Williams type (someone who can't gain separation) I am more interested in Sanu and Jones right now, but if Jeffery does runa 4.56 at that size it will go a long way towards changing my opinion of him.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Jan 23, 2012 at 7:25 PM ]
Sorry,accidental double post.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Jan 23, 2012 at 6:46 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone