LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 333 users in the forums

genz22 2012 49ers Mock Draft

I didnt include Comp picks as they have not been determined.

Round 1/ Chase Minnifield CB Virgina
Round 2/ Coby Fleener TE Stanford
Round 3/ Joe Adams WR/KR/PR Arkansas
Round 4/ Jeff Fuller WR Texas A & M
Round 5/ Jaques Smith OLB Missouri
Round 6/ Nicolas Jean-Baptiste DT Baylor
Round 7/ Brandon Taylor S LSU
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Championship.
Originally posted by genz22:

Round 1/ Chase Minnifield CB Virgina
Round 2/ Coby Fleener TE Stanford
Round 3/ Joe Adams WR/KR/PR Arkansas
Round 4/ Jeff Fuller WR Texas A & M
Round 5/ Jaques Smith OLB Missouri
Round 6/ Nicolas Jean-Baptiste DT Baylor
Round 7/ Brandon Taylor S LSU

Only thing I don't think is realistic is the lack of any OL pick, BUT.. If we spend the FA money on signing two OL and a S, this draft doesn't look bad at all. In fact, it looks very good.

OT - Staley, Boone, Davis
OG - Kilgore, Person (G/T), Iupati, FA?
C - Goodwin, Beeler (possibly) or FA

Beeler will get a shot this next off-season, and if he can impress, I think he'll earn a roster spot. But the competition will be tough if we bring in 2-3 new additions via FA signings and draft picks.
i would rather have an OL in second. Fleener would be a 3rd stringer on our team
yea not feeling the Fleener pick.
round 3 id probablly rather just keep ginn so maybe a G there

other than that love the mock

Round 1/ Chase Minnifield CB Virgina Not the biggest need imo but it is one. Ok. Would prefer a tall WR IF there is one available who provides some value.
Round 2/ Coby Fleener TE Stanford Not a supporter of that pick at all. We don't have a pressing need at (catching) TE, assuming we'll keep all of our TEs. If he somehow falls to our 3rd-rounder, I would pick him in a heartbeat.
Round 3/ Joe Adams WR/KR/PR Arkansas If you wanna have a speedster, you can get better guys here imo but is ok. I'd go for Fuller here instead.
Round 4/ Jeff Fuller WR Texas A & M Would be a nice value here.
Round 5/ Jaques Smith OLB Missouri Ok.
Round 6/ Nicolas Jean-Baptiste DT Baylor Like it, a heck of a Nose Tackle.
Round 7/ Brandon Taylor S LSU Dont really care ;)
[ Edited by communist on Jan 6, 2012 at 8:32 AM ]
Only pick I'm iffy on is Fleener. Rather get Oline or Dline there. I love the Joe Adams pick, but we won't really need him if we keep Ginn. Jean-Baptiste is a great pick!
I like it, I'm really surprised at people not wanting Fleener. He's a Stanford TE, he's tall, and catches and blocks well. I really think that he would over take Walker as the 2nd TE. Walker is more of a bigger WR, than a traditional TE.

Imagine a Goal Line formation of:

Morgan... Crabtree.... Fleener....QB.......VD.............. Fuller
....6'1......... 6'1........... 6'6.................... 6'3............... 6'3

This would give us mismatches and take pressure off our playmakers... I'll gladly take Fleener
[ Edited by irishluder on Jan 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM ]
i honestly wouldnt be upset at the fleener pick since harbaugh and roman run 2 to 3 TE sets. imagine davis, walker and fleener on the field at the same time fleener has the chance to be our most natural pass catching and route running TE on our team as a rookie. imagine having those 3 TE's in mid field and having much more help on the outside with some key additions at wr on top of that with a full off season to better master the offense

It's not about Fleener, it's more about our needs, which should be filled first. We need CB, WR, RG, FS, future C, future DE, very future NT, very future RB (at least quality backup for Hunter).
If Fleener is available at our 2nd-rounder and no need-filling guy is there (without reaching), I'm ok with that. Imo, we need a blocking-TE, which one could get on day 3 easily. VD, Walker and even Fleener are more of receiving type. Or let's say, a TE who can block better than our guys.

But I like the strategy to kill the NFL secondaries by playing with TE-sets. That's a hell of a mismatch.
I just feel 49ers will get a guard in free agency. Our biggest need is red zone. What better way to improve than to add Fuller and Fleener?
I just feel 49ers will get a guard in free agency. Our biggest need is red zone. What better way to improve than to add Fuller and Fleener?

would be a help in the red zone
I agree with your reasoning and like your picks.

Although, I think cb will not be a 1st round priority in Ballke's plan. You know his knack for finding DBs later in the draft. (Everyone knew he didnt like his second rounder last year. )

There is the need for the red zone target like you said, and really think that Ballke may covet a top receiver--that he actually may be able to trade DOWN for. We will address our center need in this draft, and from past years flops, look for a top prospect early, that many of us wont be happy to see happen. An extra second rounder would help us well for this need.

We should be looking at OLB high in the draft too, but overall, I like your picks
Fuller...4th round...not sure about that.
Share 49ersWebzone