LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

2012 Draft

Now that the regular season is over what position do you think we take in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds in this years draft?

I think we go:
1st: WR - a physical large bodied guy with good hands
2nd: CB - a good physical cover guy with speed, hopefully bigger than most, especially if we can keep D. Goldson
3rd: RB - I still think we need a real bruser in the stable, a guy who can just truck people. Dixon is servicable and has the size but I dont think thats him.
4th: NT - I like Ice-Sop, but in a 3-4 scheme a treestump NT would make this already tough D just downright deadly
5th: Best available - I think at this point we can afford to just pick the best guy available for this point on.

Thought?
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
We have a whole forum section for this dude, it's called the Draft war room, and I'll be moving your thread there now.
I think we still need depth in the trenches, on D preferably
i agree on most parts

i think dixon can be that guy hes a beast dude perfect goalline back

on CB i must say i completely turned a 18- on brown

hes not a perfect CB but hes definitally a serviceable #2 CB i also like culliver at #3 and his upside is humongous

probablly a pass rusher at 2 and CB at 3 is better
Originally posted by Janitor:
We have a whole forum section for this dude, it's called the Draft war room, and I'll be moving your thread there now.

Fare enough. I'm still relatively new here so don't hurt me.

1st: WR - Michael Floyd (Notre Dame) I hope he's there when we pick. He's the type we need for this offense. He has good size to fight through NFL jams (6-3, 224), good hands, physical, and good streight-ahead speed. (ALl add up to YAC's.) Thats perfect for our WC offense. If he's not available I'd say Alshon Jeffery out of S. Carolina. He's huge at 6-4 229. VERY good hands, runs a 4.5, and would be a nightmare for NFL DB's. He's an underclassman so I don't know if he'll declare

2nd: CB - Alfonzo Dennard (Nebraska). He's a top 20 guy so I doubt he'll be there. but if he slips to us we should take him just look at his bio. He could go in the first round. If he's not there I'd take Leonard Johnson (Iowa St.)

3rd: RB - Doug Martin (Boise State). Should be available. A punishing runner with good speed. Better between-the-tackle runner than anything. Needs to get better at pass blocking but a good reciever out of the backfield. 5-10 210 runs a 4.4 (wow). Would like to see him gain about 10lbs. OR,

4th: NT - Nicolas Jean-Baptiste (Baylor) This guy is pure NT. At 6-2 335 he needs to get better at technique. Extremely good gainst the run.

5th: Best available
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Damn you and your amazing photoshop skills!!!!! All that does is torture us!

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by Janitor:

1st: WR - Michael Floyd (Notre Dame) I hope he's there when we pick. He's the type we need for this offense. He has good size to fight through NFL jams (6-3, 224), good hands, physical, and good streight-ahead speed. (ALl add up to YAC's.) Thats perfect for our WC offense. If he's not available I'd say Alshon Jeffery out of S. Carolina. He's huge at 6-4 229. VERY good hands, runs a 4.5, and would be a nightmare for NFL DB's. He's an underclassman so I don't know if he'll declare

2nd: CB - Alfonzo Dennard (Nebraska). He's a top 20 guy so I doubt he'll be there. but if he slips to us we should take him just look at his bio. He could go in the first round. If he's not there I'd take Leonard Johnson (Iowa St.)

3rd: RB - Doug Martin (Boise State). Should be available. A punishing runner with good speed. Better between-the-tackle runner than anything. Needs to get better at pass blocking but a good reciever out of the backfield. 5-10 210 runs a 4.4 (wow). Would like to see him gain about 10lbs. OR,

4th: NT - Nicolas Jean-Baptiste (Baylor) This guy is pure NT. At 6-2 335 he needs to get better at technique. Extremely good gainst the run.

Sorry to kill you but dennard won't fall to the 2nd even with his ejection for starting a fight with Alshon Jeffery yesterday. The Lions will take him in the 1st. Floyd could maybe fall to us but it's more likely that Alshon falls to us because he won't run a very fast 40. WRs will go off the board in this order IMO
1. Blackmon (top 5 probably #3 overall)
2. Floyd (top 15 for sure maybe even top 10)
3. Wright (top 20 he'll rise cause of his bowl game and workouts)
4. Jeffery (top 30 stock will fall because of speed and lack of agility and his anger and possibly weight issues)
5. Sanu (top 40 maybe jumps Alshon cause of his athleticism)
6. McNutt (A leaner more athletic version of Alshon could catch a lot of eyes at Indy)
7. Jones (stock will probably fall because of increasingly inconsistent hands. same size as McNutt)

Wright will leap frog Jeffery especially if a team like the Browns gets there hands on Griffin and has that pick in the mid 20s, it makes way too much sense to bring in a target he already has years of chemistry and experience with to make his adjustment to the NFL that much easier.

Sanu could even end up leap frogging Jeffery because of his of his combine workout. I'm predicting nothing more then after from Alshon, his vertical and long jumps will be the only things to save his stock.

And hell I've got an off the wall prediction that teams could end up like McNutt more then Jeffery because he's more fluid and athletic and probably quicker as well.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 3, 2012 at 8:34 AM ]

O-M-G
Originally posted by SF69ers:

O-M-G

wont happen---john brodie's #12 is retired
i think the interesting question for 49ers is do they try to build on their strengths (i.e. add more defensive players such as more corner and safeties and another pass rushing olb) or do they try to shore up their weaknesses (a play making wr, interior oline help)

as far as receivers go id be interested in what the prospects #s are as far as catches on 3rd down, i.e how many 1st down catches did he make, so as to determine if he is a go to guy

Prediction. The Colts and Rams will trade out of the #1 and #2 spots of the draft. The Browns will get the 1st pick and the Redskins will get the 2nd pick

Luck goes to the Browns
RG3 to the Skins
Colts will take Kalil #4
Rams take Blackmon at 6

Well done, man, and welcome to the zone.

I see where you're going, but some of the picks, like you stated, may not be available once we are on the clock. My picks, off the top of my head, are:

1st: Dwight Jones, WR - UNC: A much better prospect than his old teammate, Greg Little, Jones has great size at the receiver position. He's physical and he's got the speed to beat a corner. His route running is crisp at his stage and he's got reliable hands.

2nd: Casey Hayward, CB - Vanderbilt: Hayward is one of my favorite corners in the draft and I truly believe his stock will continue to rise and he may not even be available when we pick in the 2nd. He's just under 6 feet and has the size to compete with the bigger receivers. He's also a ballhawk and very physical in the run game, which fits our defense very well.

3rd: Lucas Nix, OG - Pitt: I've only watched him a few times, but I like what I've seen. He's versatile (played a few games at tackle) although his fit is at guard in the NFL. Pitt ran the ball a lot and Nix should be able to catch on to the Niners offensive philosophy.

4th: Sylvester Williams, DT/NT - UNC: Williams was surrounded with a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball and it benefited him in having a productive year. He's 6'3'', 320 lbs and he may be able to fill out his frame a little more to be a true NT.

5th: Jacquies Smith, OLB - Mizzou: Why not take another pass rushing Smith. Better yet, a pass rushing Smith that played with Aldon. Jacquies may take more time to develop, but as a late round pick, it's worth the investment. He can be a real playmaker on defense.
Baalke is famous for picking best available

I see where you're going, but some of the picks, like you stated, may not be available once we are on the clock. My picks, off the top of my head, are:

1st: Dwight Jones, WR - UNC: A much better prospect than his old teammate, Greg Little, Jones has great size at the receiver position. He's physical and he's got the speed to beat a corner. His route running is crisp at his stage and he's got reliable hands.

2nd: Casey Hayward, CB - Vanderbilt: Hayward is one of my favorite corners in the draft and I truly believe his stock will continue to rise and he may not even be available when we pick in the 2nd. He's just under 6 feet and has the size to compete with the bigger receivers. He's also a ballhawk and very physical in the run game, which fits our defense very well.

3rd: Lucas Nix, OG - Pitt: I've only watched him a few times, but I like what I've seen. He's versatile (played a few games at tackle) although his fit is at guard in the NFL. Pitt ran the ball a lot and Nix should be able to catch on to the Niners offensive philosophy.

4th: Sylvester Williams, DT/NT - UNC: Williams was surrounded with a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball and it benefited him in having a productive year. He's 6'3'', 320 lbs and he may be able to fill out his frame a little more to be a true NT.

5th: Jacquies Smith, OLB - Mizzou: Why not take another pass rushing Smith. Better yet, a pass rushing Smith that played with Aldon. Jacquies may take more time to develop, but as a late round pick, it's worth the investment. He can be a real playmaker on defense.

I'll take it. I've been wondering, How does Dwight Jones compare to Hakim Nicks?
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

I'll take it. I've been wondering, How does Dwight Jones compare to Hakim Nicks?

Not as physical, IMO, but I think it's because he hasn't had the opportunity to really show it in UNC.
Share 49ersWebzone