LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 340 users in the forums

My 2012 Offseason

Originally posted by sfout:
Franchise Tag:
Dashon Goldson
Are you serious? That guy is overrated and is more of a weakness in the secondary.
- Franchises Goldson and working out long term deals for Smith and Rogers makes a lot of sense. Goldson has now put up 2 great years within 3 years time and we need to show a little faith in him while also letting him know that he needs to be a better tackler in order to get the big money. It wouldn't hurt to draft Markelle Martin or another safety in the 2nd or 3rd round to motivate Goldson even more.
What great years? He is a physical FS but is still bad in coverage. How long should I wait for his development???
- The rumblings of a 3 or 4 year deal for 20-25 Million sound like a great move by Baalke. If Alex puts up great seasons for the next few years we could either trade CK or let him walk and call it a wash. We all know JH took a high QB to satisfy the fans while developing his insurance policy if Alex failed or fails.
He took Kaep b/c he didnt know whether Alex will come back and b/c Kaep is a physically gifted guy with some potential.
1. Jared Crick - DE/DT Nebraska: I've never been a big supporter of drafting Crick this year or last but it's now become very obvious that with a quality backup to Willis or Smith our D would fall apart. Smith is getting up there in years and in all likelihood will retire when his contract is up. Especially if we get to the super bowl(or win it). We need to be prepared for that day and Crick seems like the best way to go about it.
Crick is a borderline 1st-rounder right now...I'm not completely against taking BPA over need but Crick is not a BPA at all. Bad move.
2. Markelle Martin - S Oklahoma State: As I said above we need to look into providing depth at safety or at the very least looking ahead to the following year if Goldson does not take advantage of the franchise tag to play for a long term deal.
Good move.
3. Jeff Fuller - WR Texas A&M: We need to find a viable player for the red zone, Fuller has played fairly great this year and shown some great hands and field awareness. Could easy contribute right away on a rotational basis with Josh Morgan at the #2.
OTC and walterfootball tell nearly the complete opposite of that. WR in the first or in the second round, not later.
4. Omar Bolden - CB Arizona State: He was projected as 2nd round possible 1st rounder if he declared last year. Turns out that mistake of returning to school came back to haunt him. He tore his ACL in spring practice and missed the whole 2011 season, he already received a medical hardship waiver for the 2010 season when he hurt his leg during the 2009 season. A team captain and very stand up guy, he would definitely fit the JH mold of a leader and team first kind of guy.
Was injured on his knee twice...Would have been a first-round prospect. Let him slip a little bit. 4th round is too high for him imo.
5. LaDarius Green - TE Louisiana-Lafayette: A great athletic pass catching TE, he could stand to bulk up a little bit in order to be a more effective blocker. This is another move in anticipation for next couple of years. If Delanie's injury actually affects how he prepares during OTA's and training camp it would be a great asset to have a TE like Green waiting in the wings and if he develops we could end up letting Walker leave after next season while sliding Green behind VD.
We dont need another TE at all. Here you could try to get Bolden.
6. Hebron Fangupo - NT BYU: A transfer from USC put up a pretty solid season at BYU and could provide great competition for Ian Williams during camp.
Not a bad idea.
7. David Snow - OG/C Texas: I don't have a lot of info on Snow but Texas has had a pretty great run game this year and you could easily attribute that to the O-line. Snow could make a great PS guy if he makes the roster.
Ok.
Thoughts or criticism? I think it is pretty obvious that we need to focus on retaining our talent base and building through the draft while weeding out the less quality players.
No OLB draft at all (retaining Brooks is not enough imo), Guard-upgrade in the 7th round (FA isnt enough as well imo), WR in the third round, borderline DE in the first round=bad moves.
FS in the 2nd-round=good move.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by sfout:
Franchise Tag:
Dashon Goldson
Are you serious? That guy is overrated and is more of a weakness in the secondary.
- Franchises Goldson and working out long term deals for Smith and Rogers makes a lot of sense. Goldson has now put up 2 great years within 3 years time and we need to show a little faith in him while also letting him know that he needs to be a better tackler in order to get the big money. It wouldn't hurt to draft Markelle Martin or another safety in the 2nd or 3rd round to motivate Goldson even more.
What great years? He is a physical FS but is still bad in coverage. How long should I wait for his development???
- The rumblings of a 3 or 4 year deal for 20-25 Million sound like a great move by Baalke. If Alex puts up great seasons for the next few years we could either trade CK or let him walk and call it a wash. We all know JH took a high QB to satisfy the fans while developing his insurance policy if Alex failed or fails.
He took Kaep b/c he didnt know whether Alex will come back and b/c Kaep is a physically gifted guy with some potential.
1. Jared Crick - DE/DT Nebraska: I've never been a big supporter of drafting Crick this year or last but it's now become very obvious that with a quality backup to Willis or Smith our D would fall apart. Smith is getting up there in years and in all likelihood will retire when his contract is up. Especially if we get to the super bowl(or win it). We need to be prepared for that day and Crick seems like the best way to go about it.
Crick is a borderline 1st-rounder right now...I'm not completely against taking BPA over need but Crick is not a BPA at all. Bad move.
2. Markelle Martin - S Oklahoma State: As I said above we need to look into providing depth at safety or at the very least looking ahead to the following year if Goldson does not take advantage of the franchise tag to play for a long term deal.
Good move.
3. Jeff Fuller - WR Texas A&M: We need to find a viable player for the red zone, Fuller has played fairly great this year and shown some great hands and field awareness. Could easy contribute right away on a rotational basis with Josh Morgan at the #2.
OTC and walterfootball tell nearly the complete opposite of that. WR in the first or in the second round, not later.
4. Omar Bolden - CB Arizona State: He was projected as 2nd round possible 1st rounder if he declared last year. Turns out that mistake of returning to school came back to haunt him. He tore his ACL in spring practice and missed the whole 2011 season, he already received a medical hardship waiver for the 2010 season when he hurt his leg during the 2009 season. A team captain and very stand up guy, he would definitely fit the JH mold of a leader and team first kind of guy.
Was injured on his knee twice...Would have been a first-round prospect. Let him slip a little bit. 4th round is too high for him imo.
5. LaDarius Green - TE Louisiana-Lafayette: A great athletic pass catching TE, he could stand to bulk up a little bit in order to be a more effective blocker. This is another move in anticipation for next couple of years. If Delanie's injury actually affects how he prepares during OTA's and training camp it would be a great asset to have a TE like Green waiting in the wings and if he develops we could end up letting Walker leave after next season while sliding Green behind VD.
We dont need another TE at all. Here you could try to get Bolden.
6. Hebron Fangupo - NT BYU: A transfer from USC put up a pretty solid season at BYU and could provide great competition for Ian Williams during camp.
Not a bad idea.
7. David Snow - OG/C Texas: I don't have a lot of info on Snow but Texas has had a pretty great run game this year and you could easily attribute that to the O-line. Snow could make a great PS guy if he makes the roster.
Ok.
Thoughts or criticism? I think it is pretty obvious that we need to focus on retaining our talent base and building through the draft while weeding out the less quality players.
No OLB draft at all (retaining Brooks is not enough imo), Guard-upgrade in the 7th round (FA isnt enough as well imo), WR in the third round, borderline DE in the first round=bad moves.
FS in the 2nd-round=good move.

1. Yes Franchise Goldson while we develop Markelle Martin. Franchising Goldson will cost a measly 6.2 million and by cutting Spencer and his 4 million dollar salary we'd only be paying 2.2 to keep Goldson on a tight leash for 1 season. That 6.2 for 1 year is barely higher then the 5 year 25 million dollar deal we offered him before he opted to test the market.

1a. Essentially the last 3 years are a track record of what he'll be....

2009SF Games 16 Tackles 94 Solo 76 Assists 18 Sacks 2.0 FF 3 FR 1 Yards 0 INT 4 Yards 39 PD 6

2010SF Games 16 Tackles 80 Solo 62 Assists 18 Sacks 1.0 FF 0 FR 0 Yards 0 INT 1 Yards 39 PD 5

2011SF Games 14 Tackles 67 Solo 55 Assists 12 Sacks 0.0 FF 1 FR 1 Yards 0 INT 6 Yards 53 PD 9

Bottom line is no safety in this years class is a day 1 starter and it's cheaper to franchise Goldson while develop a safety to take his place. He is a solid average of 80 tackles a year and gets his hands on about 2x the amount of interceptions he ends up having. Sure he has his bad moments but for that each of his 2 or 3 WTD moments this year he picked off passes that actually affected the momentum of the game.

2. I don't pretend to know the real reason why he took Kaep but the general rumblings about Alex's deal make a on of sense for the team.

3. Not sure why this a bad move, drafting JS's heir seems like a sound idea. Under most of my re-signings if we took a CB or WR here it would be as an off the bench role just like what I'm proposing for Crick. If we drafted an RG it would be because we let both Snyder and Chilo go and didn't go after anyone in FA so overall I think going DL in the first is the best option. Unless Courtney Upshaw was hanging around near our pick I think Crick is the best BPA approach for the first.

4. Gratze on this one. I think out of the incredibly dwindling safety class he's the best option for us but I think he's basically a boom or bust type guy which is why I came up with a situation of slowly developing him and polishing his game.

5. Short of the top 3 in Blackmon, Floyd, and Jeffery the rest of the 1 and 2 WR prospects aren't what we're looking for. Sanu is a josh morgan/crabtree type, Wright is the same as KW and Ginn. Dwight Jones' hands look like liabilities right now and would have to do a lot to change my mind. McNutt or Toon would be the only others I'd be happy with us drafting and they could end up at anywhere from the 30s to the 50s based on workouts.

6. I refer to my earlier point about what we're drafting a CB for at this point a #4 CB possibly nickel role. Despite his injury history a 1st or 2nd round talent in the 4th or 5th is an incredible steal. Other choice would be Trumaine Johnson, now if we can't re-sign rogers then we'd better look hard at CB in round 1 or 2 like Minnifield or Hayward.

7. We still don't know what he plans to with Byham when he comes back and something a lot of people are discussing right now is how long will Walker be out and that helped fuel this pick or me. Also if we cut Norris his roster spot will likely be filled a 4th RB or 4th TE to keep the versatility going on offense.

8/9. These guys are simply camp bodies that could end up being great competition and PS guys.

Recap: As long as we re-sign Brooks I don't see us drafting an OLB unless it's very late. Tavares Gooden can play both OLB and ILB and I need to stress that we actually tried to trade for him before the ravens released him so we won't be giving up on him anytime soon, especially since he made it through the whole season without injury. Right now you write him in as Brooks' back-up at OLB with Grant and Constanzo backing up Willis and Bowman. Only way we take an OLB is if we don't retain Brooks.

We have a ton of OL on our roster as it is and unless we can land Konz I don't see a reason to draft a high OL and also in my entire idea we're going after Carl Nicks in FA so we'd only need a back-up for him.

With JH wanting Morgan back he is essentially saying he wants his starting WRs to be Morgan and Crabtree with KW off the bench and Ginn as emergency. So he's basically looking for a #3 WR. Why wouldn't a 2nd or 3rd round WR make sense? Drafting a #1 WR and re-signing Morgan to 3 or 4 year deal will be pretty pricy.

For the most part Crick's stock could go anywhere from late 1st round to somewhere in the 3rd but I bet he recovers in time for the combine but at the very least his pro day and shores it up right in the middle of round 2. I wouldn't have a problem reaching about 5-10 picks or trading back for a guy who had he had the same season he had last year would be a top 15 pick.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 3, 2012 at 1:14 PM ]
RB might be a priority along with a guard and WR through FA or the draft.

I might put RB ahead of WR since the 49ers like to use two TE sets with Walker and Davis. At any rate, I would include a top tier RB this off season.
Originally posted by fister30:
RB might be a priority along with a guard and WR through FA or the draft.

I might put RB ahead of WR since the 49ers like to use two TE sets with Walker and Davis. At any rate, I would include a top tier RB this off season.

seriously?

this is a dumb post

we obvuiusly need a WR opposite of crabs and a big bodied one

look at vernons numbers when crabs is healthy..then look at it when hes not almost 4 receptions and 30-40 yards difference on average

now if we actuallly get a legit #2 wr they wont be able to double vernon and crabs any more
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
seriously?

this is a dumb post

look at vernons numbers when crabs is healthy..then look at it when hes not almost 4 receptions and 30-40 yards difference on average

now if we actuallly get a legit #2 wr they wont be able to double vernon and crabs any more
I agree, with Crabtree, Floydd/Jeffries we could have a superb offense. But Alex still has to hit those sideline passes he blows at those.
[ Edited by OtisDriftwood on Jan 3, 2012 at 1:32 PM ]
seriously?

this is a dumb post

Seriously frank is getting really old really fast and dixon is more of a special teamer than a legit RB. I would be surprised if they don't get a RB in FA or through the draft again next year.
Originally posted by fister30:
seriously?

this is a dumb post

Seriously frank is getting really old really fast and dixon is more of a special teamer than a legit RB. I would be surprised if they don't get a RB in FA or through the draft again next year.

you akipped over our #2 RB

and gore easily has 2 years left
you akipped over our #2 RB

and gore easily has 2 years left

I didn't skip over kendall H. He is a serviceable back. Frank's age/injury history is an issue. Dixon is replaceable with a back who has the talent to be a number 1 in the event frank wears down early next year. JMO you can find a decent WR in the middle of the draft easier than finding a number 1 type RB.
Usually, you can find both, WR No.1 and RB No.1, let's on day 2 or even on day 3. We have way bigger need at WR than at RB, right now, so we have to go after WR first (I am talking about need-draft...if a Trent Richardson fell to the 2nd round, I would run to the podium within a second).
will keep saying it

TRADE BACK

Share 49ersWebzone