Tavares Gooden
Larry Grant
Carlos Rogers
Alex Smith
Blake Costanzo
Adam Snyder

Franchise Tag:
Dashon Goldson

Recap: Aside from Alex, Grant, Goldson, Rogers, Ginn, Morgan and Brooks The rest of these players will command nothing more then minimum salary and shouldn't be too highly sought after on the market.

- Franchises Goldson and working out long term deals for Smith and Rogers makes a lot of sense. Goldson has now put up 2 great years within 3 years time and we need to show a little faith in him while also letting him know that he needs to be a better tackler in order to get the big money. It wouldn't hurt to draft Markelle Martin or another safety in the 2nd or 3rd round to motivate Goldson even more.

- Rogers deserves a solid 4 or 5 year deal to keep him around. Give him a solid signing bonus but make the deal a little heavy on the incentives that way we can cut ties with him if his play starts to tank.

- The rumblings of a 3 or 4 year deal for 20-25 Million sound like a great move by Baalke. If Alex puts up great seasons for the next few years we could either trade CK or let him walk and call it a wash. We all know JH took a high QB to satisfy the fans while developing his insurance policy if Alex failed or fails.

- With the noticeable lack of explosiveness without P. Willis in the lineup Grant played phenomenally in his stead and deserves a very nice compensation knowing if we lose Willis or Bowman our D will not lose a step with him in.

- Josh Morgan presents a good problem for us. If we retain him we will have 3 solid receivers in him, Crabs and KW, while also having Ginn for emergencies and ST.

Not Re-signed:
Justin Peele
Madieu Williams
Chilo Rachal
Brett Swain
Will Tukuafu
Moran Norris

- No big shockers here. Tukuafu is great backup but we need to make room for a player to develop behind Justin Smith or too maybe take Aldon's place in our nickel packages. Rachal needs to be replaced quickly and Snyder seems like a great off the bench/jumbo package player.

Released:
Shawntae Spencer

- Cutting spencer saves us $4 Million that be used to pay for part of Goldson's franchise tag salary. Also helps us stay young at CB instead of having 2 guys over 30 at the position.

Outside Free Agency:

Carl Nicks RG

- Signing Nicks would be lone effort outside the of the organization. Definitely a huge upgrade over the Snyder/Rachal duo but I have a feeling JH wouldn't mind riding Snyder for another year with the success our run game enjoyed after Rachal got benched.

Draft:

1. Jared Crick - DE/DT Nebraska: I've never been a big supporter of drafting Crick this year or last but it's now become very obvious that with a quality backup to Willis or Smith our D would fall apart. Smith is getting up there in years and in all likelihood will retire when his contract is up. Especially if we get to the super bowl(or win it). We need to be prepared for that day and Crick seems like the best way to go about it.

2. Markelle Martin - S Oklahoma State: As I said above we need to look into providing depth at safety or at the very least looking ahead to the following year if Goldson does not take advantage of the franchise tag to play for a long term deal.

3. Jeff Fuller - WR Texas A&M: We need to find a viable player for the red zone, Fuller has played fairly great this year and shown some great hands and field awareness. Could easy contribute right away on a rotational basis with Josh Morgan at the #2.

4. Omar Bolden - CB Arizona State: He was projected as 2nd round possible 1st rounder if he declared last year. Turns out that mistake of returning to school came back to haunt him. He tore his ACL in spring practice and missed the whole 2011 season, he already received a medical hardship waiver for the 2010 season when he hurt his leg during the 2009 season. A team captain and very stand up guy, he would definitely fit the JH mold of a leader and team first kind of guy.

5. LaDarius Green - TE Louisiana-Lafayette: A great athletic pass catching TE, he could stand to bulk up a little bit in order to be a more effective blocker. This is another move in anticipation for next couple of years. If Delanie's injury actually affects how he prepares during OTA's and training camp it would be a great asset to have a TE like Green waiting in the wings and if he develops we could end up letting Walker leave after next season while sliding Green behind VD.

6. Hebron Fangupo - NT BYU: A transfer from USC put up a pretty solid season at BYU and could provide great competition for Ian Williams during camp.

7. David Snow - OG/C Texas: I don't have a lot of info on Snow but Texas has had a pretty great run game this year and you could easily attribute that to the O-line. Snow could make a great PS guy if he makes the roster.

Thoughts or criticism? I think it is pretty obvious that we need to focus on retaining our talent base and building through the draft while weeding out the less quality players.
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 31, 2011 at 12:56 PM ]
I'd be fine with this for sure. maybe mcnutt over fuller if he's there in the 3rd but Im just being wishy washy.
just one thought, if you re-sign Snyder, then add Nicks, who starts? And would Snyder be happy as a backup?

Also Tukuafu can be retained at 1yr 465K
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
just one thought, if you re-sign Snyder, then add Nicks, who starts? And would Snyder be happy as a backup?

good catch, should just let snyder go and add Nicks. I'd rather keep Dobbs then Tukuafu and having Crick would be 3 backups at the dline, Crick Dobbs,RJF.Should be sufficient, since pretty much RJF is the only backup that plays now. not sure Fangupu would make he main roster?
[ Edited by OtisDriftwood on Dec 31, 2011 at 1:41 PM ]
We'd definantly have competition along the backup Dline guys for sure.
Only reason we wouldnt do this type of draft is justifying your 1st round pick being a backup for at least 2 seasons barring injuries. Most GMs wanna land starters early in the draft. Im done posting for a bit sorry.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Only reason we wouldnt do this type of draft is justifying your 1st round pick being a backup for at least 2 seasons barring injuries. Most GMs wanna land starters early in the draft. Im done posting for a bit sorry.

Agree. Want a 1st rounder to do more than sit for two years!
i really dont see the point in getting a 1st round pick to back up justin "the ironman " smith

i understand our D would suffer a hit of he was injured but i think you can count the number of games he has missed in his entire career on 1 hand

he still has 2 good years left so i really dont see the point in tryying to find a replacememnt for him now with a 1st round pick

we should get someone who will start now

since we have brooks coming back i would like a CB or WR with that pick

i like everything else though
Originally posted by sfout:
2012 Free Agency

Re-sign:
Tramaine Brock
Ahmad Brooks
Ted Ginn
Josh Morgan
Reggie Smith
Tavares Gooden
Larry Grant
Carlos Rogers
Alex Smith
Blake Costanzo
Adam Snyder

Franchise Tag:
Dashon Goldson

Recap: Aside from Alex, Grant, Goldson, Rogers, Ginn, Morgan and Brooks The rest of these players will command nothing more then minimum salary and shouldn't be too highly sought after on the market.

- Franchises Goldson and working out long term deals for Smith and Rogers makes a lot of sense. Goldson has now put up 2 great years within 3 years time and we need to show a little faith in him while also letting him know that he needs to be a better tackler in order to get the big money. It wouldn't hurt to draft Markelle Martin or another safety in the 2nd or 3rd round to motivate Goldson even more.

- Rogers deserves a solid 4 or 5 year deal to keep him around. Give him a solid signing bonus but make the deal a little heavy on the incentives that way we can cut ties with him if his play starts to tank.

- The rumblings of a 3 or 4 year deal for 20-25 Million sound like a great move by Baalke. If Alex puts up great seasons for the next few years we could either trade CK or let him walk and call it a wash. We all know JH took a high QB to satisfy the fans while developing his insurance policy if Alex failed or fails.

- With the noticeable lack of explosiveness without P. Willis in the lineup Grant played phenomenally in his stead and deserves a very nice compensation knowing if we lose Willis or Bowman our D will not lose a step with him in.

- Josh Morgan presents a good problem for us. If we retain him we will have 3 solid receivers in him, Crabs and KW, while also having Ginn for emergencies and ST.

Not Re-signed:
Justin Peele
Madieu Williams
Chilo Rachal
Brett Swain
Will Tukuafu
Moran Norris

- No big shockers here. Tukuafu is great backup but we need to make room for a player to develop behind Justin Smith or too maybe take Aldon's place in our nickel packages. Rachal needs to be replaced quickly and Snyder seems like a great off the bench/jumbo package player.

Released:
Shawntae Spencer

- Cutting spencer saves us $4 Million that be used to pay for part of Goldson's franchise tag salary. Also helps us stay young at CB instead of having 2 guys over 30 at the position.

Outside Free Agency:

Carl Nicks RG

- Signing Nicks would be lone effort outside the of the organization. Definitely a huge upgrade over the Snyder/Rachal duo but I have a feeling JH wouldn't mind riding Snyder for another year with the success our run game enjoyed after Rachal got benched.

Draft:

1. Jared Crick - DE/DT Nebraska: I've never been a big supporter of drafting Crick this year or last but it's now become very obvious that with a quality backup to Willis or Smith our D would fall apart. Smith is getting up there in years and in all likelihood will retire when his contract is up. Especially if we get to the super bowl(or win it). We need to be prepared for that day and Crick seems like the best way to go about it.

2. Markelle Martin - S Oklahoma State: As I said above we need to look into providing depth at safety or at the very least looking ahead to the following year if Goldson does not take advantage of the franchise tag to play for a long term deal.

3. Jeff Fuller - WR Texas A&M: We need to find a viable player for the red zone, Fuller has played fairly great this year and shown some great hands and field awareness. Could easy contribute right away on a rotational basis with Josh Morgan at the #2.

4. Omar Bolden - CB Arizona State: He was projected as 2nd round possible 1st rounder if he declared last year. Turns out that mistake of returning to school came back to haunt him. He tore his ACL in spring practice and missed the whole 2011 season, he already received a medical hardship waiver for the 2010 season when he hurt his leg during the 2009 season. A team captain and very stand up guy, he would definitely fit the JH mold of a leader and team first kind of guy.

5. LaDarius Green - TE Louisiana-Lafayette: A great athletic pass catching TE, he could stand to bulk up a little bit in order to be a more effective blocker. This is another move in anticipation for next couple of years. If Delanie's injury actually affects how he prepares during OTA's and training camp it would be a great asset to have a TE like Green waiting in the wings and if he develops we could end up letting Walker leave after next season while sliding Green behind VD.

6. Hebron Fangupo - NT BYU: A transfer from USC put up a pretty solid season at BYU and could provide great competition for Ian Williams during camp.

7. David Snow - OG/C Texas: I don't have a lot of info on Snow but Texas has had a pretty great run game this year and you could easily attribute that to the O-line. Snow could make a great PS guy if he makes the roster.

Thoughts or criticism? I think it is pretty obvious that we need to focus on retaining our talent base and building through the draft while weeding out the less quality players.

Only player I like is Fuller. Like the resignings except for Tramaine Brock. Why the love for Brock???
[ Edited by kronik on Dec 31, 2011 at 7:51 PM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
I don't like taking a backup for 2 years with our 1st rounder. Would rather draft someone in the 3rd next year and let him develop behind J Smith

I want us to take a CB/WR/RG with our 1st rounder..

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ImaMod:
I don't like taking a backup for 2 years with our 1st rounder. Would rather draft someone in the 3rd next year and let him develop behind J Smith

If you read my post I pointed out how JS is a free agent after next season and there is a strong likelihood he'll be retiring or have 1 foot in the proverbial grave at that point and it would become an even more likely scenario if we won the super bowl. so why wouldn't we grab his replacement while we still have him on our team to pass on his knowledge to his replacement? It would only be for 1 year not 2, don't know where you got that idea and look at how the Steelers have handled their o-line, they have Aaron Smith and Brett Kiesel bookending Casey Hampton and have drafted 2 1st round DE's in the last 3 years. Kind of makes sense to ensure our continued dominance in our front 7.

I'd be fine with this for sure. maybe mcnutt over fuller if he's there in the 3rd but Im just being wishy washy.

McNutt would be my next choice over Fuller

Nicks obviously, he's head and shoulders above Snyder in skill. I think Snyder would be happy and if not then we can go after a late round pick or promote one of our PS guys from this year to the active roster.

Again read my post, Tukuafu is the victim of vacating a spot for Crick. Tukuafu is a career back-up from everything he's shown and sometimes you have to make the tough decisions to let people like him go so you can improve the team

good catch, should just let snyder go and add Nicks. I'd rather keep Dobbs then Tukuafu and having Crick would be 3 backups at the dline, Crick Dobbs,RJF.Should be sufficient, since pretty much RJF is the only backup that plays now. not sure Fangupu would make he main roster?

That's my vision for our back-up DL: Crick, RJF, Dobbs and no I in no way would ever think Fangupo would make the active roster but like I said he would mainly be there as competition for Ian Williams and the better of the 2 make the final 53 as the 7th DL.

Originally posted by tohara3:

Agree. Want a 1st rounder to do more than sit for two years!

Coming back Otis and Tohara....I refer to my statement above in this post. He would rotate in right away and more then likely JS will be on the way out or have to realize he getting too old to be an every down player and for the third time where in god's name did you get the number of 2 years he'd be sitting?!?! JS is only under contract for 2012 and could end up walking or retiring at that point.

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i really dont see the point in getting a 1st round pick to back up justin "the ironman " smith

i understand our D would suffer a hit of he was injured but i think you can count the number of games he has missed in his entire career on 1 hand

he still has 2 good years left so i really dont see the point in tryying to find a replacememnt for him now with a 1st round pick

we should get someone who will start now

since we have brooks coming back i would like a CB or WR with that pick

i like everything else though

I know he's the ironman, isn't he the leader in consecutive starts outside of the QB position? But like I said above he's only under contract for 1 more year and I don't see us offering him some gimmick 1 year deal to finish out his career unless it's absolutely set in stone that he's retiring and willing to come off the bench for the final year.

Based on how we've set our secondary up we won't be targeting a shut down CB unless we're cutting TB and keeping Cully as the nickel back.

WR is the same. Crabs is the #1, KW is the slot man and Morgan is best suited to come off the bench but I doubt there is quality receiver on the board at 26 or later. Blackmon, Jeffery, Floyd. and Wright well all be gone and that's if Jeffery even declares because he hasn't said his intentions yet. Dwight Jones hasn't shown me nearly enough for me to be happy if we draft him so I'd rather hold off on a WR until the 3rd.

Originally posted by kronik:
2012 Free Agency

Re-sign:
Tramaine Brock
Ahmad Brooks
Ted Ginn
Josh Morgan
Reggie Smith
Tavares Gooden
Larry Grant
Carlos Rogers
Alex Smith
Blake Costanzo
Adam Snyder

Franchise Tag:
Dashon Goldson

Not Re-signed:
Justin Peele
Madieu Williams
Chilo Rachal
Brett Swain
Will Tukuafu
Moran Norris

Released:
Shawntae Spencer

Outside Free Agency:

Carl Nicks RG

Draft:

Only player I like is Fuller. Like the resignings except for Tramaine Brock. Why the love for Brock???

I don't really have too strong of feelings for Brock. I see him as a goner by 2013 but would you honestly rather Spencer or Brock at the #4 spot on our DC? We can retain Brock for nearly nothing and he's show a bit of promise while Shawntae has obviously fallen off or he would've quickly climbed back into the starting lineup over TB. I think Bolden could develop into our Nickel CB for a long time while Cully becomes 1 of our starters.

Originally posted by ImaMod:

How do you guys think good teams stay good? They think 2 moves ahead while still fielding quality talent. We need to stop being so short sighted and start planning for the inevitable and quickly approaching turnover at some core areas of our roster.

EDIT: I've seen Crick mocked anywhere from mid 20's to the middle of round 2 so depending on his workouts/combine we might be able to trade back and get an extra pick or two.

I've always been a bigger supporter of a CB/WR in round 1 this year but this is just a bit of an epiphany for me regarding our DL and the fact that we could still land 2 quality WR/CB prospects in the middle rounds only pushed me more so in the direction of wanting a DL in the 1st.

Also regarding my #5 pick on the TE I'm sort of perpetrating word vomit, I've actually seen a lot of mocks with us taking him and that was early in the year on 3 round mocks, since then his stock has fallen to a more realistic value and it just seems like a logical choice given the possibility of us letting Delanie walk after this coming season. We might even part ways with Byham in effort to get more versatility at the position and yes I'm aware that Reuland is on the PS but it never hurts to add more talent for such a bargain price.

I flip-flopped between a TE or a OLB here and picked the TE because we can't afford to add another LB. Gooden is versatile enough that he could play OLB in absolute emergencies.

EDIT: to clarify the bold part of this statement

Carl Nicks RG

I'm indicating that we could opt to avoid any kind of free agent signing by retaining Snyder as the starting RG and simply promoting a lineman from our PS to back him up.
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 31, 2011 at 9:26 PM ]
Carl Nicks is going to get a monsterous contract. Somewhere in the ball park of 6 years 50 million dollars.

I'm going guard in the draft, and looking to find Justin Smith's successor at a later date.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Carl Nicks is going to get a monsterous contract. Somewhere in the ball park of 6 years 50 million dollars.

I'm going guard in the draft, and looking to find Justin Smith's successor at a later date.

So we have 43 million in cap space counting the 13 million from this year that everyone is saying will carry over. a 5 or 6 year 50 million deal still only means about 10 million the first year(including a signing bonus) which leaves us roughly 30 million to handle the rest of our players and only about 3 or 4 are worth anywhere between 3 to 6 million a year while the rest are minimum salary contracts.

Seems very doable to me.

EDIT: The contract Nicks will be looking to duplicate or use as a jumping point is Jahri Evans: 7 years $56 Million or roughly 7.5 a year. He'll be looking to show New Orleans that they should've paid him the same or better but I have a feeling if we came in strong at 6 years $48 million with some escalators he'd jump at it.
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 31, 2011 at 10:44 PM ]
So we have 43 million in cap space counting the 13 million from this year that everyone is saying will carry over. a 5 or 6 year 50 million deal still only means about 10 million the first year which leaves us roughly 30 million to handle the rest of our players and only about 3 or 4 are worth anywhere between 3 to 6 million a year while the rest are minimum salary contracts.

Seems very doable to me.

Alex Smith, Carlos Rogers, Dashon Goldson. 20 million right there. Those 3 guys.

I agree with you it's doable it's not the route I'm taking though. 50 million dollars for your right guard is a no no. It might not bite you in the @ss right away, but eventually you got to extend other guys and it will get you then. You don't have room to max out 5 guys on the line.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
To be fair my absolute dream mock would be

1. Michael Floyd - WR

2. Casey Hayward - CB

3. Derek Wolfe - DE

4. Trumaine Johnson - converting him to safety

Picks 5 - 7 the same

Probably won't happen but one could dream.
Share 49ersWebzone