LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 201 users in the forums

Trade for ANDREW LUCK!

It will take 3 - #1's and 2 - #2's according to Schefter

Not sure how I feel about that. Cowherd the other day made a good point about it though. He bascially said if you get an elite franchise QB you dont need 1st round picks to be great...ie the Saints, Colts, and Pats. If you take their last three 1st rounders and take them off the team each team wouldnt really be that different.

Still it's a lot to give up.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:

Not sure how I feel about that. Cowherd the other day made a good point about it though. He bascially said if you get an elite franchise QB you dont need 1st round picks to be great...ie the Saints, Colts, and Pats. If you take their last three 1st rounders and take them off the team each team wouldnt really be that different.

3 - #1's and 2 - #2's.....

Our last 3 years of 1st round picks
2011- Aldon
2010- Davis, Iupati
2009- Crabtree

Take those 4 guys off the field
I don't think we have a good of team as everyone thinks, lots of holes and places to improve. I think we can improve at LOLB and every spot in the secondary. And pretty much every spot on offense needs work. I can't imagine trading that many picks for one QB if Harbaugh thinks we're set. Luck's success has gone down in the absence of Harbaugh, whch makes you wonder...

Now what I'd really want is to trade for Tony Romo if we could pull it off. Maybe our 32nd pick ;) and 2013 2nd rounder, which Dallas can package with their 1st pick to trade up for RG3?
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

2011- Aldon
2010- Davis, Iupati
2009- Crabtree

No. You have to take Iupati out of the argument. Because he was a 2nd 1st rounder. You don't get 2 every year. So Aldon, Davis and Crabtree. Aldon is absolutely awesome. Davis is very good and improving. I'd put Crabtree in the above average category. Definitely overrated on the WZ. He's slow and not that big. His upside has it's limits.

But what you also fail to take into account is WE ALREADY HAVE THOSE GUYS. In other words WE ALREADY HAVE A GOOD TEAM. So to put it a different way we don't need filler or depth. We need STAR TALENT AT 1 POSITION! At QB.

Originally posted by dhp318:
I don't think we have a good of team as everyone thinks, lots of holes and places to improve. I think we can improve at LOLB and every spot in the secondary. And pretty much every spot on offense needs work. I can't imagine trading that many picks for one QB if Harbaugh thinks we're set. Luck's success has gone down in the absence of Harbaugh, whch makes you wonder...

Now what I'd really want is to trade for Tony Romo if we could pull it off. Maybe our 32nd pick ;) and 2013 2nd rounder, which Dallas can package with their 1st pick to trade up for RG3?

Likely 13 - 3 and the #2 seed with a 1st round bye is pretty good....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

2011- Aldon
2010- Davis, Iupati
2009- Crabtree

No. You have to take Iupati out of the argument. Because he was a 2nd 1st rounder. You don't get 2 every year. So Aldon, Davis and Crabtree. Aldon is absolutely awesome. Davis is very good and improving. I'd put Crabtree in the above average category. Definitely overrated on the WZ. He's slow and not that big. His upside has it's limits.

But what you also fail to take into account is WE ALREADY HAVE THOSE GUYS. In other words WE ALREADY HAVE A GOOD TEAM. So to put it a different way we don't need filler or depth. We need STAR TALENT AT 1 POSITION! At QB.

And you're gambling 3 years of drafts according to Schefter's comments above? I'm not saying that Alex is so great or anything like that but this gamble is too big for us. We could definitely use help at WR (just look who's starting this weekend) and in the secondary as well. I just think making this big of gamble would be insane
Wow, what a risk! Part of me would pull that 3-1's and 2-2's because if luck is a game changer, then it's totally worth it. However, a good front office could recognize good quarterbacks in the draft like the steelers. They could've pushed all in to take eli, but waited until big ben fell to them. If I was god and I could make the call, I would say I rather draft a slightly inferior player and fix the holes on the team (WR) than to push all in for luck. If he is drafted here, he would have no receivers to throw to or they would drop his passes. also, our O-line is shaky at times. With that said, I wouldn't mind either scenario, but I would lean towards playing it safe
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Wow, what a risk! Part of me would pull that 3-1's and 2-2's because if luck is a game changer, then it's totally worth it. However, a good front office could recognize good quarterbacks in the draft like the steelers. They could've pushed all in to take eli, but waited until big ben fell to them. If I was god and I could make the call, I would say I rather draft a slightly inferior player and fix the holes on the team (WR) than to push all in for luck. If he is drafted here, he would have no receivers to throw to or they would drop his passes. also, our O-line is shaky at times. With that said, I wouldn't mind either scenario, but I would lean towards playing it safe

If Luck = Brady, Brees, Rodgers then he is worth...

3 - #1's
2 - #2's

2011- Aldon
2010- Davis, Iupati
2009- Crabtree

And you're gambling 3 years of drafts according to Schefter's comments above? I'm not saying that Alex is so great or anything like that but this gamble is too big for us. We could definitely use help at WR (just look who's starting this weekend) and in the secondary as well. I just think making this big of gamble would be insane

Sometimes you have to gamble to be great. That's why they call it a "gamble on greatness.".... High risk = high reward. Par for the course.

3 - #1's
2 - #2's

On the flip side, the three players you named didn't cost their teams that much to draft them either. The highest being Rodgers, who was drafted in the 20 range. People need to give Harbaugh time to see if he can indeed get Alex to improve on this year next year or if he can do to Kaep or Tolzein what he did to Luck.

What bothers me more is what will the rams do with their pick, whether they draft RG3 or Luck, I think they are more dangerous than Bradbord. They can then trade Bradford and use the pick with FA and the 2nd round to get OLs and WRs.
Originally posted by WildBill:

3 - #1's
2 - #2's

On the flip side, the three players you named didn't cost their teams that much to draft them either. The highest being Rodgers, who was drafted in the 20 range. People need to give Harbaugh time to see if he can indeed get Alex to improve on this year next year or if he can do to Kaep or Tolzein what he did to Luck.

What bothers me more is what will the rams do with their pick, whether they draft RG3 or Luck, I think they are more dangerous than Bradbord. They can then trade Bradford and use the pick with FA and the 2nd round to get OLs and WRs.

I'm ok with Harbaugh working more with Alex since he made strides. And maybe he has more upside. Perhaps so. But I think Luck will be special. If you can get a Brady, Brees, Rodgers type almost anything is worth it.
  • mike
  • Veteran

3 - #1's
2 - #2's

I'm ok with Harbaugh working more with Alex since he made strides. And maybe he has more upside. Perhaps so. But I think Luck will be special. If you can get a Brady, Brees, Rodgers type almost anything is worth it.

Funny, of those 3 elite quarterbacks you mentioned none of them were top picks. Rodgers being the only 1st rounder and he had 2 years to warm a bench and learn his system.

My point is that when we can manage 13-3 with alex smith at quarterback, and have a quarterback drafting/developing guru in Harbaugh, we shouldn't be in such a hurry to draft the next hot commodity that we blow our top picks until somewhere around 2015 or later.

When you're talking about that many seasons without top picks, it means you start asking who's going to replace justin smith, goodwin, sopoaga, carlos rogers, ect. That's just age, not even talking about upgrades. Who knows what FAs will want to run off. Also we could use a true #1 wr pick one of these days.

The ballsiest thing I'd consider if I were baalke, is not resigning smith and letting rookies battle it out. Kaepernick with a full season soaking up tips VS someone like Landry Jones, VS tolzien. Even that sounds pretty risky though, I see them sticking with smith and not giving up on colin this quickly. Drafting a WR or something instead.
[ Edited by mike on Dec 31, 2011 at 3:49 AM ]
Originally posted by mike:

3 - #1's
2 - #2's

Funny, of those 3 elite quarterbacks you mentioned none of them were top picks. Rodgers being the only 1st rounder and he had 2 years to warm a bench and learn his system.

My point is that when we can manage 13-3 with alex smith at quarterback, and have a quarterback drafting/developing guru in Harbaugh, we shouldn't be in such a hurry to draft the next hot commodity that we blow our top picks until somewhere around 2015 or later.

When you're talking about that many seasons without top picks, it means you start asking who's going to replace justin smith, goodwin, sopoaga, carlos rogers, ect. That's just age, not even talking about upgrades. Who knows what FAs will want to run off. Also we could use a true #1 wr pick one of these days.

The ballsiest thing I'd consider if I were baalke, is not resigning smith and letting rookies battle it out. Kaepernick with a full season soaking up tips VS someone like Landry Jones, VS tolzien. Even that sounds pretty risky though, I see them sticking with smith and not giving up on colin this quickly. Drafting a WR or something instead.

However if he is that "elite sure thing QB" he is worth that. If somebody told you that you could get a younger version of Rodgers or Brees or Brady knowing the future and what they would eventually become over time at QB you would say that price is worth it.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
We all know damn well there is no way we are getting Luck.
Share 49ersWebzone