LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

The combined Sanu thread

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Well, in that logic, you can say that about any player at any position. It's a draft and there is always risk involved. Not sure what he has to do to impress you though. He's a versatile weapon at the receiver position and he has great size to dominate NFL corners. The only thing that may be an issue to me is that he tends to get nicked up due to his style of play. He lowers his shoulder a lot to break tackles and that could lead to some injuries in the pros.

Originally posted by Schulzy:
You can say that about any position.

"Wide receivers have a 36% hit rate in the first round of the NFL draft.
This is the worst position statistically to take in the first round of the NFL draft. Apparently Matt Millen didn't know that when he took receiver every year while general manager for the Lions. Receiver is one of the hardest positions to transfer college skills to the NFL. Many receivers that were busts had one of a few problems. They couldn't run routes or get separation. A lot of college receivers just use their athleticism to catch the ball, in the NFL that doesn't fly. Many receivers are Pre-Madonnas causing them to not work as hard as other positions, not sure why these guys are so arrogant. I guess being the best player around since they were 6 had something to do with it. So fans of teams that took receivers in the first round watch out!"
http://www.vincentvalour.com/nfl-draft-history-1st-round-positional-boombust-rate-offense/html

Stats (WRs Only)
Yards:

1. Calvin Johnson (1st Rd)
  2. Wes Welker (UDFA)
  3. Victor Cruz (UDFA)
  4. Larry Fitzgerald (1st Rd)
  5. Steve Smith (3rd Rd)
  6. Roddy White (1st Rd)
  7. Jordy Nelson (2nd Rd)
  8. Brandon Marshall (4th Rd)
  9. Mike Wallace (3rd Rd)
  10. Hakeem Nicks (1st Rd)
  11. Dwayne Bowe (1st Rd)
  12. Marques Colston (7th Rd)
  13. Antonio Brown (6th Rd)
  14. Vincent Jackson (2nd Rd)
  15. AJ Green (1st Rd)
This is part of what I mean. You usually find dominant OL, DL, QB, (and I would include CBs) are 1st Rounders. There is, of course, exceptions to the rule. But skill positions (Safety, WR, TE, HB) can be found anywhere in the draft. IMO, there is no need to "reach" for a skill position unless its a Calvin Johnson/AJ Green type player. Is Sanu one of those type of players? To me, No.

I'd rather draft a WR later in the draft. I don't see Sanu as the big of a difference maker. Some of mentioned him as a Percy Harvin type. I don't see that at all. Harvin's quicker and has way better agility. Sanu seems like a guy who can't make guys miss so he tries to run them over. Won't work well for him in the NFL.

I agree with this to an extant. What I like to look at isn't how many players at the position drafted early fail, but what percentage of the good players at that position in the NFL were drafted late. RB, for example, has as many top players from outside the first 1st as in. QB, on the other hand, has a much lower percentage of top players taken outside the 1st round.

In our case, though, I don't know how much it matter. Picking 30th is, in many ways more like have two 2nd round pick. Most GMs are not going to give 30 1st round grades. So most likely you'll be taking a player you didn't really see as a 1st rounder. But you're also not paying them as much either. So I think you're a little more free to just take whoever and not worry about position.

But, on yet another hand... This draft has SO MANY interesting WR prospects we could probably get very good WRs in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th rounds. So I won't be mad if they wait.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXJKIE2jTL0

His You tube clip highlights are pretty awesome. Way more athletic ability than Floyd or Jeffery. Good size, great hands.....just don't know the high end speed. of this guy. Would you pick him in the 1st round?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, I'd take him.
he needs to prove he can run good routes first...im not completely sold on him

but he fits the WC system with his burst, blocking ability, and versatility. I can see Roman having alot of fun placing him in alot of different positions
good hands? i think i saw 2 catches where he didnt use his body to catch the ball.
Originally posted by schmons:
good hands? i think i saw 2 catches where he didnt use his body to catch the ball.

he has amazing hands doesnt drop anything

and he goes up and gets the ball at its higest point and he doesnt use his bodu often
His hands and athleticism are ridiculous. I think he will be better than Kenny Britt. Reminds me of Hakeem Nicks.
Originally posted by TommyFrazier:
His hands and athleticism are ridiculous. I think he will be better than Kenny Britt. Reminds me of Hakeem Nicks.

thats where he is drawing comparisions too kenny brit and nicks

scary thing is he has only been playing WR for 2 years now his upside is ridiculous
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
seems to be the best option where we're picking.
Now I've been saying this about him for a long time on other threads (and written down for it), and hope he drops to us at 30. This team badly needs a WR in the first and I won't come off it. He comes in and is the instant #1 WR. With our WR put out over the last 3 or 4 years who has been better?

Look like he would be a good start.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Now I've been saying this about him for a long time on other threads (and written down for it), and hope he drops to us at 30. This team badly needs a WR in the first and I won't come off it. He comes in and is the instant #1 WR. With our WR put out over the last 3 or 4 years who has been better?

i dont think he will be the instant #1 WR but at very least he will take attention of crabtree and morgan

next year he will be #1 though
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
From where we're picking he's the best option.
another Sanu thread?

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/162875-mohamed-sanu/search=Sanu

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/161694-mohamed-sanu-rutgers-wr/search=Sanu
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I agree with this to an extant. What I like to look at isn't how many players at the position drafted early fail, but what percentage of the good players at that position in the NFL were drafted late. RB, for example, has as many top players from outside the first 1st as in. QB, on the other hand, has a much lower percentage of top players taken outside the 1st round.

In our case, though, I don't know how much it matter. Picking 30th is, in many ways more like have two 2nd round pick. Most GMs are not going to give 30 1st round grades. So most likely you'll be taking a player you didn't really see as a 1st rounder. But you're also not paying them as much either. So I think you're a little more free to just take whoever and not worry about position.

But, on yet another hand... This draft has SO MANY interesting WR prospects we could probably get very good WRs in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th rounds. So I won't be mad if they wait.

I remember listening to Mike Lombardi say that the WR position is the hardest position to evaluate in football, because the WR game in college is so much more different than it is in the pros. Receivers are rarely jammed at the line, they just have free release, so you can't really get a sense of their ability to play and produce in a more physical game. So much of the game at the pro level is mental, far beyond the pros.
Share 49ersWebzone