LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

trading up for a WR?

at the above post (dont want to quote kinda long) hes reported to be 6-4 and 228 pounds (these usually wrong)

i dont think that weight is too unhealthy for his size granted its not all muscle but in no way is he fat or unhealthy
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
the Floyd kid is exactly what we need. Big dude.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by strickac:
Trade back and rape a more desperate team.

What our we the pats! lol Bill walsh would have traded up! O thats right he drafted jerry rice.

The Pats are sitting pretty every year in the draft. Their fault is that they suck at evaluating prospects, every since Pioili left. They reach more than anyone, but the talent is there. I'd love to give Baalke a slew of early picks to work with next year, especially considering Harbaugh has this draft and FA to fill holes. I think he can find a WR (or two) that can excel in his offense. He learned his lesson by drafting R. Johnson over his guy, Baldwin, who's become the Hawks' #1.

Teams are ALWAYS looking to trade back into the 1st to scoop up someone (like the Saints and Ingram did this past year). We should benefit from that, if the opportunity is there.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I too obviousy would love Blackmon & Floyd. I think the price would be too steep. Only because of the offense we run and how they'd be used. I think Jeffrey would be a nice candidate to trade up for a little. But would be totally ok with drafting Jeff Fuller, B.J. Cunningham, Nick Toon or DeVeir Posey later in the draft.
Originally posted by jreff22:
this draft is loaded with WR's, if anything I would trade back a bit and get extra picks, we need more depth

I think either pull a Pittsburg Steeler, let the draft fall to your pick and get the best talent possible at position of need, OR

Patriots, trade our low 1 for two second rounders and pick up three (including niners second) drafted players in the top 60 who can contribute.
Never trade up for a WR. See JJ Stokes. They aren't worth it in my opinion. They can get a good one right where they are. Just look at all the WR's drafted after Crabtree and DHB in 2009. Mike Wallace was drafted in the 3rd round that year.
I really like that Kendall Wright kid from Baylor. That's who "experts" are saying we're gonna draft
Originally posted by lamontb:
Never trade up for a WR. See JJ Stokes. They aren't worth it in my opinion. They can get a good one right where they are. Just look at all the WR's drafted after Crabtree and DHB in 2009. Mike Wallace was drafted in the 3rd round that year.

we traded up for jerry rice

also julius ones seems to be a star in the making

usually i against trading up but WR is really one of the few needs on this team if we get a player like floyd have him play opposite of crabs then we will see our offense explode he (and blackmon but doubt we get him) are what weve been lookng for bug fast WR who can break tackles and get YAC

jeffery doesnt have the speed of the other two but is great at the jump ball and running routes and breking tackles

after these 3 theyre is a huge drop off in WR
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

usually i against trading up but WR is really one of the few needs on this team if we get a player like floyd have him play opposite of crabs then we will see our offense explode he (and blackmon but doubt we get him) are what weve been lookng for bug fast WR who can break tackles and get YAC

jeffery doesnt have the speed of the other two but is great at the jump ball and running routes and breking tackles

false
Walsh traded up, down and sideways if he could get the guy he wanted. At this point I believe the niners need a few game breakers so they don't need to trade down. A top WR and a DB would be my priorities. A RG should be brought in from FAcy as the OLine is already too young and needs more veteran presence. If they went after an OC in the draft it would be OK but they need stability at RG next to Davis...unless they shuffle the line in the offseason.

They should also draft two WRs, one in the 1st and one in the 3th-6th, a high motor guy to push the other rookie. They currently have Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn and Williams...with holes at the other two spots. Ginn is valuable as a returner but the other three are a pretty good corps...if they can find the final piece. If they like Swain or one of the guys from the PS then they can look elsewhere...but I don't think the play maker they need is on this team.

Yea I wouldn't be against that type of trade up in how they got rice. But I'm not for trading all the top of the draft to get a WR. and even still how often does it work out when you trade up for a WR? And I don't think there is a huge drop off in WR talent after those three. This draft is full of talent at the WR position. Look where the Ravens got Torrey smith last year or where Dallas got Dez bryant. The Niners can stay pat and still select a very good wr. I know folks want an AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Fitzgerald type of wr. But how far have any of them really carried their teams? Fitz was playing with a possible hall of fame qb on that super bowl run. Then you can look at the Saints, Packers, and Pats who all have great qr's unit's, but not one real big time stand out wr. Those big time wr's make a difference no doubt. I'm just saying in regards of wr's in todays' NFL where you can't wr's it isn't necessarily to have to get top 10 talent. You can get 2nd and 3rd round talent and put them in systems where they put up huge numbers.
I'm not a football scouting expert so it'd be useless for me to comment on where and when in the draft a WR and an interior lineman should be drafted, but it is clear those are the two biggest needs going into next season. The reason? The 49ers are dead last in passing attempts, yet Alex Smith is the most sacked QB in the league this year. When you combine those two stats, that's a terrible indictment of the 49ers offense. Personally there are 3 reasons for this:

1) Alex is holding onto the ball too long;
2) The o-line can't block effectively and consistently; and,
3) The WR's aren't getting open fast enough, forcing Alex to hold onto the ball.

While 1 is a factor, I believe the bigger issues to address are 2 and 3. I keep hearing that there may be some good free agent WR's available in free agency this year (Colston, Bowe, etc), and if this is the case, the 49ers need to consider pursuing one of them. I guess ultimately we won't know which direction the 49ers should go early until after free agency. Maybe they bolster the interior line via free agency? Maybe WR?

This may be a tough off-season for the 49ers because of the rather large contingent of good players entering free agency (Rogers, Goldson, Smith, etc).
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Jan 4, 2012 at 7:49 AM ]

Yea I wouldn't be against that type of trade up in how they got rice. But I'm not for trading all the top of the draft to get a WR. and even still how often does it work out when you trade up for a WR? And I don't think there is a huge drop off in WR talent after those three. This draft is full of talent at the WR position. Look where the Ravens got Torrey smith last year or where Dallas got Dez bryant. The Niners can stay pat and still select a very good wr. I know folks want an AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Fitzgerald type of wr. But how far have any of them really carried their teams? Fitz was playing with a possible hall of fame qb on that super bowl run. Then you can look at the Saints, Packers, and Pats who all have great qr's unit's, but not one real big time stand out wr. Those big time wr's make a difference no doubt. I'm just saying in regards of wr's in todays' NFL where you can't wr's it isn't necessarily to have to get top 10 talent. You can get 2nd and 3rd round talent and put them in systems where they put up huge numbers.

You don't think the following guys are "standouts"? These are guys who consistently get open in addition to making big time catches. I can't remember the last time V.Davis didn't catch a ball with his body.

- Colston (NO)
- Graham (NO)
- Finley (GB)
- Jennings (GB)
- Gronkowski (NE)
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Jan 4, 2012 at 8:03 AM ]
Originally posted by 99Ways2SackAQb:
Originally posted by communist:
Floyd all the way baby...He has some WCO-experience, he is tall, relatively athletic and has produced under two different QBs. Let's forget about his character and draft him.

Right there with ya.

Forget about character? Doesn't sound like a good idea unless they check him out thoroughly and give him a clean bill.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Forget about character? Doesn't sound like a good idea unless they check him out thoroughly and give him a clean bill.

only character concern is he has like 2 Dui;s nothing lik assault or anything like that

(even harbaugh has a few DUI so im sure that may be overlooked by him)
Share 49ersWebzone