LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

trading up for a WR?

Originally posted by monsterzero789:
i wouldnt mind him either but his speed worries me.

as long as he runs under 4.6 im fine with his speed

we dont nee dhim to strech the field (we have ginn and williams and even crabs for that)

we just need a go to WR
I hope the FO is open to the idea, but I'd almost rather just go after Bowe in FA (assuming he isn't franchised)
Trade back and rape a more desperate team.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by GEEK:
It really depends on how Baalke addresses our resignings and free agency signings.

But I would be in favor of doing a trade up, but not as severe as what the Falcons gave up to the Browns.

if we can get blackmon with the same package, i may have to consider

Blackmon is gonna be waaaaay outta our range, probably be comparable to trading for Andrew Luck.

I have been talking this idea for over a month now. While I agree that Blackmon might cost too much, I would support a move up to the 10-12 range to get a big RZ target. There should be some quality there come draft time.

EDIT: Watching Jimmy Graham catch that TD pass last night over a 5'11" CB made it glaringly apparent how much this team needs a BIG receiver.
[ Edited by dj43 on Dec 27, 2011 at 7:01 PM ]
Not sure if trading up is worth it. Deep class of WRs.
We need one even more now that Braylon didn't work out.
Originally posted by strickac:
Trade back and rape a more desperate team.

What our we the pats! lol Bill walsh would have traded up! O thats right he drafted jerry rice.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Dec 27, 2011 at 7:00 PM ]
Whoever is most reminiscent of Vincent Jackson, go for it.

We need a big and physical receiver like him badly. It's the one big thing missing from this offense.
Our WR corps needs more size and better hands!
Alshon Jeffery is very talented, but talk and pictures say that atleast at times he's kind of a fatty. Lots of teams might be scared off because of the history of receivers that have weight control issues.

Of course if he shows up to the conbine cut up it's going to be a non-issue.

This team needs an interior lineman on offense..badly.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
only WR i would be willing to trade up for would be Floyd. Otherwise i would rather wait and see who falls to our pick

alshon is better suited for WCO

great route runner elite hands

may not be the fastest guy on field but big enough to break tackles and also gets YAC (think a bigger crabtree)

i like floyd better too but i think alshon is also worth considering trading up for because after these 3 the talent drop off is huge

Funny you should say that. I copied this straight off some SEC message board....

But he isn't quick in and out of his breaks, which is the biggest concern at the next level.

Jeffrey reminds me of a less athletic Jon Baldwin. Or a taller Michael Crabtree.

I didn't know Crabtree wasn't athletic because that's the guys point in one way or an other. But that's neither here nor there. My main question is, what's the issues with his weight? I know a lot of people made a big deal about him gaining weight in the summer. I also saw another poster on that same board claim Alshon had said he wanted to move to TE, any merit to that statement?

I would be stoked if we got either Floyd or Jeffery, Floyd for his athleticism and big play threat and Jeffery for his hands and body positioning but you have stop and ask what this offense is about and what WRs/TEs we already have on this roster and who would be a better addition to the team. Next year it's safe to say that it'll be Crabtree on one side with Williams in the slot and Morgan coming off the bench and Ginn as emergency WR/KR guy. I don't think Kendal Wright is a capable blocker but he could be another version of KW and prove me wrong so unless we we're able to find a late round gem I would do everything in my power if I was Baalke to get my hands on Floyd or Jeffery.

Something that absolutely scares me given our glaring need for a #2 opposite Crabtree is that Jeffery is just a junior and with his receptions and yardage being completely cut in half compared to last season that he could opt to return for his senior year in an effort to raise his stock. I admittedly think we should take a CB(Hayward, Dennard etc) in round 1 and avoid looking for a WR before round 3 with players like Fuller and Criner in the mix at that point but can you imagine what Jeffery returning to school would do to the WR depth in the draft?

I just checked some mocks and a lot of the new ones have both Floyd and Jeffery off the board by the 18th pick(projected to be the bears) in some cases they have the cards picking either Jeffery or Floyd at 14. Taking this into account we might need to trade up to 12 to get a shot at either one. The Chiefs projected at 12 might be open to the idea especially if a new coach/gm tandem comes in and wants to stock up on talent/assets. We'd need to amass 540 points and a comprobable package would be: swapping first rounders, our 2012 2nd rounder: 292 points, 3rd rounder: 128 points and 2013 2nd rounder: 126 points which equals 566 points. To offset the cost we could ask for their 6th round choice which would be worth 16 points would put us at an overall spending of 550 points.

Now to put that in perspective maybe the Bengals, projected to pick at #17 have the hearts set on Minnifield or Gilmore and want to trade back. We would only need to provide 310 points. which simply put is our 2012 2nd rounder: 292 and 2013 4th rounder: 23.5 or 315.5 points.

Now the absolute irony in this is that both scenarios are designed to jump ahead of the bears who are in dire need of a real WR to pair with Earl Bennet but the guy I think who fits there system the best (if and only if Mike Martz is back next year) is Kendal Wright and he is currently a fringe first round, top 40 pick, pre-combine. I would die laughing if the Bears opted to trade back and we'd be the perfect partner as our 2nd round pick is worth 292 points and the points we would need to cover a trade is 280.

All in all as long as we retain Rogers, Goldson and Brooks our biggest need is WR and it should be addressed in the first round and possible again in the 4th or 5th round as well. No guarantee that Ginn will be back and until God forbid, Swain signs a new deal I'm assuming he wont be back either so unless we are planning on Hastings, Matthews or Bogan making the final 53 we'll definitely be signing or drafting 2 WRs this offseason as we only have Crabtree, Williams and Morgan(he's going to be next years Alex Smith, a free agent but not. As long as Baalke doesn't insult him with a low ball he won't leave.)

EDIT: Maddog there are plenty of great RGs in round 2 and just because we have 1 great season does not mean we instantly become the patriots or Steelers and draft a center with our first round pick. Bottom line is I bet they retain Snyder and let Chilo walk so we'll be looking primarily for a backup RG rather then a day 1 starter.
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 27, 2011 at 10:36 PM ]
Originally posted by communist:
Floyd all the way baby...He has some WCO-experience, he is tall, relatively athletic and has produced under two different QBs. Let's forget about his character and draft him.

Right there with ya.
I wouldn't mind drafting Jordan White in the 3rd or 4th round he has 140 receptions 1,911 receiving yards and 19 touchdowns. He also had 13 catches today for 265 yards and a TD today vs Purdue. Kid is a baller.
I think everyone's dream is we get Blackmon but since that won't happen I was excited at first about sanu now that he's going back I really want this team to get Dwight jones. Great complement opposite of Crabtree. Great starting core with solid back ups in KW nd Morgan
Share 49ersWebzone