LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Gerell Robinson ASU WR mid to late round solution to our redzone woes?

• sfout
  • Veteran
So I watched ASU thump my Utes pretty bad at the beginning of the season and then noticed ASU's tailspin to a 6-6 finish and subsequently get drubbed by Boise this weekend but he absolutely blew up on BSU with 13 catches 241 yards and 1 TD - I know this game was generally never in doubt as Boise had them on the ropes for basically the whole game so I'm not trying to overreact to this but he has made plays all season for these guys.

Was wondering what everyones' thoughts are on this guy. Anybody watch ASU heavily? He seems like a stud late round prospect.

He's a bit of a 1 hit wonder right now but from what I read he was brought a long somewhat slowly and this was his first full season as starter.

77 catches 1397 yards 18.1 YPC 58 long 7 TDs
29 catches 387 yards 13.3 YPC 39 long 5 TDs
26 catches 261 yards 10.0 YPC 23 long 0 TDs
3 catches 26 yards 8.7 YPC 13 long 0 TDs

He had Hamstring problems in 2010 but I couldn't find anything else on his health.

Here are some good ol' youtube highlights. This guy has scoring drives up and I couldn't find any pure Gerell Robinson only vids but I've provided the times of the TDs. Feel free to watch the drives all the way through to get more of a feel for the guy.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MGwgXIvyPvs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Start at the 1:50 mark

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-BT1ueLnDU0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Start at the 7:20 mark

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g_3aE-oJkcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Start at the 3:30 mark

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xco7PsMH-YQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Start at the 2:45 mark

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BIPrpuXFIgQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Start at the 7:50 mark

EDIT: I never embed videos so if they don't work just click the stupid link :/ also some of these TDs might be old but it still works
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 24, 2011 at 6:13 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Someone educate me on the correct way to embed video please lol. I don't want to edit cause it keeps deleting the embedding code but he's listed at 6-4 222 so maybe at 6-3 210 he could still be a pretty physical presence.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
He's dating someone I knew in high school. If he can score a girl like her he can score touchdowns.
I watch every asu game. Grob is a late roumder, only 4.7 speed who struggles w man coverage.

He excels in the slot against the zone. Great size at 6-4, great body control, good hands,physical wr. Poor top end speed.

Raw prospect who was a qb in hs, should have red shirted.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I watch every asu game. Grob is a late roumder, only 4.7 speed who struggles w man coverage.

He excels in the slot against the zone. Great size at 6-4, great body control, good hands,physical wr. Poor top end speed.

gratze
I'm an ASU alum and he started to really come on late last year. He is not a burner but has potential to be a good receiver in the NFL. I wouldn't be mad if he was a late round pick with time to develop.
GR was very impressive in the Senior Bowl...talked to Walt (Walter's Football) about him and he agrees he's likely to go 3rd/4th rd. If Harbaugh/Baalke like him, they'd arguably have to take him in 3rd rd since we pick #30.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
GR was very impressive in the Senior Bowl...talked to Walt (Walter's Football) about him and he agrees he's likely to go 3rd/4th rd. If Harbaugh/Baalke like him, they'd arguably have to take him in 3rd rd since we pick #30.

I like him a lot, he really has outstanding body control and able to make very tough catches. But the biggest problem with his game is he can't beat the jam, which is why ASU move him from flanker to slot. Due to his poor speed, he is also strictly an intermediate/short route runner.

His 40 was better then I thought it would be, but I don't think he plays at a 4.6 level. He is slow man, trust me, got caught from behind frequently.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Mar 1, 2012 at 1:55 PM ]

I'm not trying to highjack this thread, but I have a question for you SunDevil:
What happened to TJ Simpson? I know he was hurt in 2011, did he get a medical redshirt for his senior year?
Originally posted by Travisty13:

What happened to TJ Simpson? I know he was hurt in 2011, did he get a medical redshirt for his senior year?

poor kid has bad luck.

Burned redshirt frosh year. Injured sophmore year after playing a few games. Junior year looked good in reserve role. Senior Year in spring blew out his knee. Applied for medical redhisrt, denied (probably because rs burned his frosh year). Elgibility done....
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Mar 1, 2012 at 5:11 PM ]

poor kid has bad luck.

Burned redshirt frosh year. Injured sophmore year after playing a few games. Junior year looked good in reserve role. Senior Year in spring blew out his knee. Applied for medical redhisrt, denied (probably because rs burned his frosh year). Elgibility done....
Damn you sure aren't lying. That kid has terrible luck. Only reason I ask, is cause in NCAA 12, that dude was a straight beast for me in that game. I'd seen he was a Sr., so I'd look for him when ASU was on and never saw him. Looked him up, and saw the kid had gotten hurt. So I knew you'd be the man to ask about what was up with him.
Damn you sure aren't lying. That kid has terrible luck. Only reason I ask, is cause in NCAA 12, that dude was a straight beast for me in that game. I'd seen he was a Sr., so I'd look for him when ASU was on and never saw him. Looked him up, and saw the kid had gotten hurt. So I knew you'd be the man to ask about what was up with him.

Yeah in spring last year TJ Simpson was looking great, expected to be starting with GRob, and blew out his knee. Next day Omar Bolden blew out his knee. At the end of his junior year he looked great. If not for the injuries, he probably had 4.4 speed.

Yeah in spring last year TJ Simpson was looking great, expected to be starting with GRob, and blew out his knee. Next day Omar Bolden blew out his knee. At the end of his junior year he looked great. If not for the injuries, he probably had 4.4 speed.

Damn. What might have been, if he could have just stayed healthy.
Share 49ersWebzone