There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Dontari Poe NT Memphis

The dude declared. Is this someone we should be thinking about in the 1st round? We'll be picking late and the way i see it, we could use another corner and a OG. Now, this guy could end up being considered the best 3-4 NT in the draft. Where we draft I could see it being a conceivable pick(although Soap is playing great). I'd like to see us draft a RG early, but how many years does JSmith have left? We draft a NT and slide Soap back to end when JSmith calls it quits? Food for thought.
Too many other pressing needs. I'd take a supremely talented, raw NT prospect late that we have time to develop, and instead use the early picks on starting caliber WRs and DBs.
Soap is doing a fantastic job and RJF isn't bad as his backup. No need to waste an early pick on a NT.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Soap is doing a fantastic job and RJF isn't bad as his backup. No need to waste an early pick on a NT.

Not to mention Ian Williams has shown some flashes during Preseason. I think our future contributor is Williams IMO.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Not to mention Ian Williams has shown some flashes during Preseason. I think our future contributor is Williams IMO.

Could not agree with you more. Sopoaga is under contract and so is Ian Williams. Let Williams develop and he will eventually be a starter. One of the best NT is Jay Ratliff for the cowboys, he was udfa or a 7th round pick, my point is NT's can develop to become stars!!! Way to many pressing need than any DL spot. With Dobbs, and Tukufai DL is not a position of need unless in the latter rounds. WR, FS, CB, all skill positions with a much higher priority.
Originally posted by 9erred:

Could not agree with you more. Sopoaga is under contract and so is Ian Williams. Let Williams develop and he will eventually be a starter. One of the best NT is Jay Ratliff for the cowboys, he was udfa or a 7th round pick, my point is NT's can develop to become stars!!! Way to many pressing need than any DL spot. With Dobbs, and Tukufai DL is not a position of need unless in the latter rounds. WR, FS, CB, all skill positions with a much higher priority.
I haven't been as impressed as you guys with IWilliams. I like Poe's measurable's better. I do not believe there will be a WR who will have as much of an impact that a dominant NT can bring. Harbaugh has already said he wants Morgan back and Kyle Williams is turning into quite the slot receiver. I do not believe they target a WR in round 1. Now, if the top guard is still on the board, that needs to be the pick. Lets face it, our D, if kept together, is dominant. I just think round 1 needs to be BPA. My opinion is Poe will be better then the best WR on the board when we draft.
  • buck
  • Veteran
We have a very good nose tackle and we do have other major needs.

This. Stick with Williams for sure, got to many other holes to fill.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Hammerthrow99:
Originally posted by 9erred:

I haven't been as impressed as you guys with IWilliams. I like Poe's measurable's better. I do not believe there will be a WR who will have as much of an impact that a dominant NT can bring. Harbaugh has already said he wants Morgan back and Kyle Williams is turning into quite the slot receiver. I do not believe they target a WR in round 1. Now, if the top guard is still on the board, that needs to be the pick. Lets face it, our D, if kept together, is dominant. I just think round 1 needs to be BPA. My opinion is Poe will be better then the best WR on the board when we draft.

If you go back and watch Williams in Preseason you'd see he gets good push on the pocket and uses his hands well. Sure he still has a lot to learn at NT and it was against 3rd stringers, but that was some real potential he was showing at the position. As for Poe, I'd like to know how his conditioning is, practices are much harder in the Pro's than in college, especially for someone that's 350 pounds. And Tomsula has already mentioned, you don't need a big 350 pounder to play NT, so I doubt he puts a word in for Poe come draft day. BTW, a lot of receivers such as Dwight Jones, Nick Toon and so on would have much more impact on our team than a big 350 pounder learning to play NT at the next level. But I'd actually like to take the best available CB in round 1, we can go receiver in the 2nd or 3rd.
Think hell be there in round three?
Originally posted by HarryPeterson:
Think hell be there in round three?

Top 15 pick I heard on NFL Live yesterday. Anyone else see his combine stats next to Haloti Ngata's? Eerily similar yet he surpassed him in every way. He benched 225 44 times

This guy is gonna be a stud, but won't be around once we pick. We have bigger holes to fill as well.
Oh how December to Februaury has made a difference. Yes I think we should he draft him if available
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Too many other pressing needs. I'd take a supremely talented, raw NT prospect late that we have time to develop, and instead use the early picks on starting caliber WRs and DBs.

This is a really bad draft philosophy. You have to compare your needs to talent available to you at your pick. If not your reaching and busting. Draft the best available player, there's nothing wrong with draft dlineman high year after year. Look at the lions and the giants. They have other needs sure, but they also have scray dlines-with depth. I could see him being gone before we pick. I would target him and play him in goaline D and work him in a rotation with Soap.at the beginning. The only thing is I think Justin Smith plays until he's 38+ at least five more seasons. So
According to Sporting News' Russ Lande, "many teams" are comparing Memphis NT Dontari Poe to former top-six draft bust Ryan Sims.

Sims, the sixth pick in the 2002 draft by Kansas City, did well to play nine years in the NFL, spending three as a starter and struggling. Per Lande, Poe's draft stock is "plummeting" after NFL teams went back to watch his tape following a mammoth Combine performance. We're skeptical he'll go in the first round.
rotoworld.com

Still a first rounder? This is the one player I don't get in the first round.
No. Workout wonder. Not a good player.
Here has been my lasting criticism of Poe, and why ai dodn't have him graded as a top 5 DT:
He has really poor play recognition skills. This is what causes him, even with excellent athleticism to be so woefully unproductive. He is out of the play far too often because he does not have a good feel of what is happening on the football field. And, to me, this is a skill that is more natural than developed.