LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

If Patrick Peterson had fallen past the 5th or 6th pick, would we still have picked Aldon?

We would have taken Peterson then, and we would still take Peterson now. The kid has tied an NFL record for punt returns for TD's in one year, and is getting better at CB. This is not a knock on Smith, but Peterson has pretty much won three games alone for the Cards this year.

Great NFL draft class this year.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
We would have taken Peterson then, and we would still take Peterson now. The kid has tied an NFL record for punt returns for TD's in one year, and is getting better at CB. This is not a knock on Smith, but Peterson has pretty much won three games alone for the Cards this year.

How about those games he cost them earlier in the year when he was getting torched for huge TD's and committing costly penalties? Not a chance we take Peterson now. Nice try
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
How about those games he cost them earlier in the year when he was getting torched for huge TD's and committing costly penalties? Not a chance we take Peterson now. Nice try

he is slowly turning into an elite CB though and unlike arizona e wouldnt be asked to start right away

not to mention we do have the best DB coach in the country
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

he is slowly turning into an elite CB though and unlike arizona e wouldnt be asked to start right away

Completely agree. I was just countering his point that while he has won a couple games for them, he also lost a couple for them earlier in the year. As much as 1 player can "win" or "lose" a game for a team.

Completely agree. I was just countering his point that while he has won a couple games for them, he also lost a couple for them earlier in the year. As much as 1 player can "win" or "lose" a game for a team.

oh ok

i mean if peterson fell to us we wouldve got peterson for sure and wouldve been happy with it and he wouldve been a stud
but knowing what we know now i would get aldon smith

pass rush >CB/punt returner

even if he becimes a shutdown corner

oh ok

i mean if peterson fell to us we wouldve got peterson for sure and wouldve been happy with it and he wouldve been a stud
but knowing what we know now i would get aldon smith

pass rush >CB/punt returner

even if he becimes a shutdown corner

Yeah, I'm not privy to what Baalke was thinking, but my guess is he would have taken Peterson if he was available. Just my guess though. This has been a very deep/ good draft.

You can't judge a player's future based upon the first handful of games early in their career. Otherwise, you judge Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, and many other Hall of Famers as complete failures. All you can do is look at their improvement throughout the rookie year, and attempt to project the future, since players are locked into multi-year contracts.

Patrick Peterson might make the Pro-Bowl this year simply based on return ability, but also gives the team a future top CB. The first few weeks were not great, by any means, but he is slowly becoming a very reliable, solid CB who is improving. His play has been a lot better in November and December. Being able to beat a team in multiple facets of the game trumps nearly every rookie in this draft, including Smith, who has been very good thus far. But, accumulating big sack numbers is not the same as literally winning multiple games with your returns. The value is different, especially when you add in that he is a starter at CB.

A player that dominates in two aspects of the game is more valuable than one who performs only one.

And, as for the "nice try" comment, nice try.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 23, 2011 at 3:05 PM ]

You can't judge a player's future based upon the first handful of games early in their career. Otherwise, you judge Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, and many other Hall of Famers as complete failures. All you can do is look at their improvement throughout the rookie year, and attempt to project the future, since players are locked into multi-year contracts.

Patrick Peterson might make the Pro-Bowl this year simply based on return ability, but also gives the team a future top CB. The first few weeks were not great, by any means, but he is slowly becoming a very reliable, solid CB who is improving. His play has been a lot better in November and December. Being able to beat a team in multiple facets of themselves game trumps nearly every rookie in this draft, including Smith, who has been very good thus far. But, accumulating big sack numbers is not the same as literally winning multiple games with your returns. The value is different, especially when you add in that he is a starter at CB.

A player that dominates in two aspects of the game is more valuable than one who performs only one.

And, as for the "nice try" comment, nice try.

You said he has won a couple games and I pointed out he lost a couple as well. I love it how Peterson is now dominating 2 aspects of the game, or are you now basing this on your crystal ball that is always 100% accurate?. Lol. You will say anything to try and justify that we should have traded our draft to land Peterson, taken Watt over Smith and just your overall opinion that Smith was a reach at 7. You are truly incapable of ever acknowledging that you may have been off in how things should have been handled, player assessment, etc. . To try and say that Peterson would still be picked over Smith NOW is laughable....nice try
I would like to add that I do like both Watt and PP as players. I would love to have either on the Niners, just not over The Cobrador
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Dec 23, 2011 at 4:06 PM ]
Yes, I think we would have picked Peterson and honestly would have been very happy with the pick. But obviously we're not disappointed with Aldon. I can't wait to see this guy continue to improve and be a MONSTER pass rusher for years to come that we've needed so desperately for so long.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

So, you're basically saying that (knowing what we know now) your draft philosophy would be to take a punt returner who is still a "?" at CB over a player that has 13 sacks and a chance to break the rookie sack record?

With the seventh pick in the draft?

Srsly?

At the time, I think we would have taken Peterson. But knowing what we know now, I think the Niners would have taken Aldon. I believe Aldon's pass rush helps our coverage more than Peterson's coverage would have helped our pass rush.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

So, you're basically saying that (knowing what we know now) your draft philosophy would be to take a punt returner who is still a "?" at CB over a player that has 13 sacks and a chance to break the rookie sack record?

Srsly?
[left]
I just realized our supposed "draft expert" is justifying that Peterson is the better pick bc of his return ability?????

LOL
  • buck
  • Veteran
I do not what would have happened if Patrick Peterson had been on the board when we picked.

I am very happy with the pick of Aldon Smith.

Peterson is a wonderful punt returner, but injuries forced him to start at CB before he was ready.
He has been learning on the job and seems to be improving. I do wish that he had picked by a team not in the NFC West.

Von Miller has rushed the passer very well, but he has had serious problems in the run game. I guess too many of his tackles have been too far down field.
He will get better. I am glad he is in AFC West.

JJ Watt is playing is playing well. I think that he was a good pick for the Texans. I am glad that he is in Houston.
In 2013, we will have to find a player like him, but no mistake we should not have drafted him this year.

Kerigan is having a very good year and should get more recognition in the national media than he does.

Like I said I very happy with the pick of Aldon Smith, and if my memory serves me well, I was happy with the pick at the time of the draft.

Knowing what we know now, I would not change our pick if we could redo the draft.

Srsly?

Last time I checked, doesn't a solid pass rush equate a solid secondary... ?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

Srsly?

Last time I checked, doesn't a solid pass rush equate a solid secondary... ?

without a doubt.

In case, nobody has noticed Patrick Peterson play at CB has improved ever since the Cards replaced their starting outside backers.
The young ones are getting more pressure, making it easier to play CB.
Share 49ersWebzone