LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

If Patrick Peterson had fallen past the 5th or 6th pick, would we still have picked Aldon?

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Amir:
If Peterson was there at 7, we would have taken him.

yup. no doubt in my mind.
IIRC, the 49ers draft room was visibly upset when PP was drafted by AZ, probably reported in a blog by one of the MM's.

Lucky us, I think he would've had less impact than Rogers has done for us so far. Plus, we got a stud LB/DE that can get double-digit sacks and isn't even a starter. So, Niners win this comparison!
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
IIRC, the 49ers draft room was visibly upset when PP was drafted by AZ, probably reported in a blog by one of the MM's.

Lucky us, I think he would've had less impact than Rogers has done for us so far. Plus, we got a stud LB/DE that can get double-digit sacks and isn't even a starter. So, Niners win this comparison!

Agree, I always harp that a good pass rush makes db's look so much better. NO db can cover for more than 5 seconds, so the pressure from the dl this year proves my point, which is master of the obvious.

Interceptions off of pressure are a lot more common than a coverage sack.
Yes, PP. Wasn't he visualised as a returner as well, which last year was another big need. So instead we signed Ginn, great job.
[ Edited by English on Dec 22, 2011 at 9:58 AM ]
Of course not. Peterson was probably the highest rated player on the Niners board and he filled a position of need. If he was there, the Niners would have sprinted to the podium with the card. Then again, Smith has turned out to be a great consolation prize .
  • dj43
Peterson, no doubt.

PP got off to a slow start but in recent games he has justified his draft slot. In the end, both will be major players. Patrick Peterson will be a stud CB and return guy in the mold of Deion Sanders.
i want another aldon smith next draft and have those twins like 52 and 53 we can have 99 and 00. I'm wit fangio, the pass rush makes the secondary better always not the other way around. olb as we see is an impact position when u get a dominant pass rusher. never can have enough of those players in this pass happy league
All done > Peterson

We probably would have taken Peterson though
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

yup. no doubt in my mind.

This. But that is OK. Aldon worked out so it is good. Peterson is pretty good himself.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
All done will pan out as the best pick

That's got to be one of the dumbest nick names I've ever heard. "All done" really? I'd rather go with what the Ravens fans were calling him "All Day".

Originally posted by ninersrule4:
All done > Peterson

We probably would have taken Peterson though

Yup. Thank God the Cards picked Peterson. I would much rather have an elite pass-rusher over a good CB/FS tweener.

no doubt. our clear need at the time was CB. Im just glad they knew all about Aldon Smith before most everyone else did.

you cant really decide who won that draft. we'll have to wait and see 3-4 years down the road. Von Miller was picked ahead of Aldon, and hes been every bit as good. Peterson is struggling as a CB, but all young CB do. hes already an elite return man that can change games. 2-3 years down the road Peterson might be quite a headache for us as a defender.

either way, Aldon Smith is looking like the next DeMarcus Ware. He's long, hes powerful, hes quick, and he just has that ability to get to the passer. some guys have it, some dont. not since Andre Carter have I seen a young 49er that had that natural knack for getting to the QB.

Watching him this season, I was convinced from very early on that he was the real deal, but after I saw that sack he had against the Rams, where he bull-rushed the T, pancaked him, and ran right over top of him and sacked the QB, im now certain hes a superstar in the making.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Dec 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM ]
No doubt we would've taken PP if he was there @ 7, and Aldon would've probably been a Texan. Wade Phillips had a hard on for Smitty.
we were gonna take peterson
Not that it matters now but Id really like to see what their draft board looked like and if they stuck with it. I liked the Smith pick from day 1 but it would be cool. Was Peterson their #1? Was Von Miller? Maybe AJ Green or Julio Jones?
I remember in 05 their draft board for their second pick was Heath Miller, Mike Patterson, Logan Mankins, then David Baas.
Share 49ersWebzone